Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ranieri Sacked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

At least he won't be remembered for getting them relegated, if they do go down of course. Terrible decision by the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

PhilipsR wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I don't get the sentiment here.

So let me get this straight, because Ranieri won the PL last year, he has the right to get him relegated this year? :confused:

Do people honestly think they even look remotely like turning it around?

Since the start of Nov:

DDLWDLLWLDLWDWLLDLLWLLL

Of those 5 wins, 3 in cup competitions.

Firstly, they haven't been relegated yet.

Secondly the manager won the league. He didn't get them to a respectable league position , he managed a team to arguably the greatest modern day shock in top class club football. If that doesn't buy you some loyalty , nothing will.

Thirdly, Leicester were relegation candidates when ranieri took over. Their form now actually looks more in line with the clubs relative stature when he took over. If they sack him he's left them in no worse a position then when he joined. Even if they go down because of ranieri they are in great shape to bounce back up. Makes me think of charlton, who thought they were a club that should be doing better then the consistent levels curbishly had them at, they sacked him so they could goto the next level and look where they are now.

Fourthly, if ranieri can keep them up there is every chance he could over achieve again next year..

Lastly, change does not equate to better, all it promises is change. If the club goes down with a different manager is he as likely to galvanise the players as ranieri has shown? Will that new manager even stick around to get them back up? Ranieri is far more likely to remain loyal and stay around if the club supports him.

The reason people want Leicester to support Ranieri is because it's a sh**y act to sack him after what he's done for the club. Even if it's perceived to be the right call, it's still a dick move. I suppose the sport is lacking in much soul as it is, it's nice to see some clubs break from populist conventional "wisdom" instead of focusing on short term gains which is the default choice for many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Out of curiosity, who was the last manager of reigning champions to be sacked?

Mourinho.
    Last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Even if they were thinking of sacking him for a while, don't do it before the 2nd leg of a CL tie ffs...

Actually, the fact we're even talking about Leiceister and CL ties just shows how moronic this decision is. Win a league title, get a good run going in the CL, and he still gets sacked. Idiots run that club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Out of curiosity, who was the last manager of reigning champions to be sacked?

Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Gbear wrote: »
    They've looked nailed on to get relegated.

Does he get a pass on relegation after winning the league?

Can you believe in a manager who gets you relegated (from the players's perspective).
    Could he be trusted to get them back out of the Championship?

He couldn't lose every game forever and keep his job.

Ranieri was the perfect man to have to make an incredible story for Leicester that'll be remembered for a thousand years, but you can certainly understand why they think he's not the right man now and with so much on the line, loyalty can only count for so much.

He'd have gotten a pass on nearly anything this season. The only thing was relegation and I really can't fault them at this stage.

I think a lot would have even given him a pass on relegation. If I were a Leicester fan I know I would.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

They turned a relegation season around under Pearson and they might well have under Ranieri after last night. It's nothing short of scummy by the owners, and the result of a gutless season by the players. I hope Liverpool hammer them this weekend (and I'm a Man Utd fan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Hope they go down now. Disrespectful towards a man who proved his value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Players should be ashamed of themselves. Have been on holidays all year.
    Ranieri is such a classy guy and deserved better than this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They must have a biggish name lined up; that's why the sacked him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Nigel Pearson taking over......

And the cycle begins again.

murpho999 wrote: »

John Carver just been sacked probably him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Kenny Jackett I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

They turned a relegation season around under Pearson and they might well have under Ranieri after last night. It's nothing short of scummy by the owners, and the result of a gutless season by the players. I hope Liverpool hammer them this weekend (and I'm a Man Utd fan)

Pearson didn't turn it around til the last 8 games did he?

Shocking that they give him more of a shot than Ranieri after all he's done for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

But but but...fairytale!

Relegation dodgers usually sack their managers about now. Why should LCFC be any different?
    Players should be ashamed of themselves. Have been on holidays all year.
    Ranieri is such a classy guy and deserved better than this.

Ashamed? They are a relegation quality squad who hit quite frankly the most freakish set of conditions last year to win the PL. You cant expect a relegation quality players to win the PL every year. Just be astounded they won it once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Fckin sickening that we'll never know if he'd have succeeded in getting them to the next round of Champions League. :mad:
    Now if they pull it off who knows what it'll be attributed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

he earned the right to fight relegation to the end. Shame it has ended like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Yep, would be the only logical reason really.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

As Bocelli sang in the final game last season, "Time To Say Goodbye."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Must have someone lined up. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Fans were singing his name last night at their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Drumpot wrote: »
    Firstly, they haven't been relegated yet.

Secondly the manager won the league. He didn't get them to a respectable league position , he managed a team to arguably the greatest modern day shock in top class club football. If that doesn't buy you some loyalty , nothing will.

Thirdly, Leicester were relegation candidates when ranieri took over. Their form now actually looks more in line with the clubs relative stature when he took over. If they sack him he's left them in no worse a position then when he joined. Even if they go down because of ranieri they are in great shape to bounce back up. Makes me think of charlton, who thought they were a club that should be doing better then the consistent levels curbishly had them at, they sacked him so they could goto the next level and look where they are now.

Fourthly, if ranieri can keep them up there is every chance he could over achieve again next year..

Lastly, change does not equate to better, all it promises is change. If the club goes down with a different manager is he as likely to galvanise the players as ranieri has shown? Will that new manager even stick around to get them back up? Ranieri is far more likely to remain loyal and stay around if the club supports him.

The reason people want Leicester to support Ranieri is because it's a sh**y act to sack him after what he's done for the club. Even if it's perceived to be the right call, it's still a dick move. I suppose the sport is lacking in much soul as it is, it's nice to see some clubs break from populist conventional "wisdom" instead of focusing on short term gains which is the default choice for many.

Nah, I'm sorry. Football's a business these days. Falling out of the PL is disastrous. They were on a complete collision course for the Championship. Yday wasn't even a good performance either, another day they lose 4/5-0. They hit a massive stride of form for a 12 month period, but since they've fallen off that in November, as teams have figured out how to play them, he's shown no tactical nous to try and shift this. If he hasn't changed it yet, there's no reason to think why he will going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Steve Bruce the only man for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Absolutely lousy - everything wrong with modern football. The man who gave the club the best moment of it's existence and completed the most unbelievable Premier League win ever, gets sacked nine months later.

Ranieri lost his best player in Kante and right now, they're a club that are in a position that reflects their status and the squad they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I bet Frank De Boer gets the job. He's only after saying he'd love to manage in the PL and he needs a job where he can restore his reputation after the Inter fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Alan Pardew been mentioned as a replacement. Leicester preparing for the Championship if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Terrible decision, I think they'll definitely be relegated now. Players will be looking for the exit door now. Ship is sinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'd say a lot of the players never left party mode after the summer.
    The board couldn't let the club go down without taking action, and unfortunately they can't replace the squad.
    Ranieiri is not the disciplinarian needed right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Berserker wrote:
    Alan Pardew been mentioned as a replacement. Leicester preparing for the Championship if that is the case.

Looking forward to him saying "being reigning Champions" as much as he can until the season ends.

They should be putting up statues of him, not sacking him.

Really, really hope to see them relegated now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

martyos121 wrote: »
    I bet Frank De Boer gets the job. He's only after saying he'd love to manage in the PL and he needs a job where he can restore his reputation after the Inter fiasco.
    Frank De Boer did say he'd never take a job mid-season again, whether that's true or not we will find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They should be putting up statues of him, not sacking him.

Really, really hope to see them relegated now.

So winning the league means he's allowed get them relegated the next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The fact is they can't afford to get relegated. They have players wages tied into the premier league now.

They have 5 points in the last 10 games and have given no indication they can improve.

If he hadnt won the league last year then he would probably still be in a job as he'd be doing better than expected not being in the relegation zone. He raised his expectations ridiculously high and has to live up to them,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Deserves to stay, the player's have let him down this season. If they started cutting their wages I'd say they would wake up then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ah so you're real name is Nostradamus, they were going to be relegated if Ranieri stayed in charge?

The performance they put up against Sevilla in Seville last night would suggest they had enough in them to stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Madness. 8 months ago he probably had the most secure job in world football. I feel bad for him, but he will be forever remembered for what he achieved last season. The moment Andrea Bocelli came onto the pitch to sing alongside Ranieri was the most surreal moment I have ever witnessed in sport.

Time to say goodbye :p sorry couldn't resist

Shocked he didn't last until end of season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

CSF wrote: »
    Frank De Boer did say he'd never take a job mid-season again, whether that's true or not we will find out.

I think he needs to take one if it comes up tbh. Been out of work since November and he's been a forgotten man since, he's a quality manager and despite what he says about not wanting to take charge of a club during the season, he has the ability to make it work.

**** sake,, crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Bit much including Ferguson in the list there, hardly 'gone' he retired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Something I hate about the modern game is that players, once they've decided that a manager is no longer for them, can just down tools because they know that results will eventually result in his sacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

They cud go into free-fall for years and I hope they do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just shows how fickle the business is. Could have at least given him until the end of the season however I suppose the board felt that now was as good as time as any as a new manager might spur the team on to avoid relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The players have to take the brunt of the blame here, they've been a disgrace all season. But it's always the manager who has to shoulder the blame and i really believe Ranieri was taking them down. Leicester are basically having the season everyone expected them to have last year.

I'd be of the opinion that they should be building a statue of him right now outside the KingPower whilst also dismissing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Wenger and Ferguson must be the only PL winners that havent been sacked.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. When you take a team who are relegation fodder like Leicester to the heights of the Premier League and last 16 of the Champions League, you should at least get another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Modern football really is scummy, you would wonder what the point of it all is.

You have so many fans would rather finish top 4 than win a trophy, you can take a ****ty nothing club from nowhere to actually win the premier league and then get sacked in the middle of the next season.

**** it, the ones grabbing the cash have the right idea, modern football has zero integrity and really isn't worth bothering with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Crazy

The players should be ashamed the definition of players thinking there better than they are.

Leicester going from most loved to most hated in a season

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ah so you're real name is Nostradamus, they were going to be relegated if Ranieri stayed in charge?

The performance they put up against Sevilla in Seville last night would suggest they had enough in them to stay up.

They've being doing well In champions league all season. That form hasn't transferred over to the premier league beforehand why would it do so now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

eagle eye wrote: »

What?? They were awful last night. Most of the team don't seem to want to play for him anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement