Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ranieri Sacked

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Oh Leicster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think the players are key here, by and large they got new contracts and a bump in money in the summer as well as being lavished by the owners with cars and bonuses after a remarkable win.

Theyve got complacent and half arsed the season and its cost Ranieri his job on the back of it. If they get the thumb out they can survive but I'd love nothing more than to see Vardy relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

The players had a once in a lifetime year last season. Fighting relegation is about their normal level. I find it really hard to see what a new manager will be able to do. Any decent players at Leicester will already be thinking about summer moves.

What possible incentive do the premier league level players at Leicester have to scrap and claw their way away from relegation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ah so you're real name is Nostradamus, they were going to be relegated if Ranieri stayed in charge?

The performance they put up against Sevilla in Seville last night would suggest they had enough in them to stay up.

The performances they've been putting in in the league would suggest they're doomed.

Ranieiri should have had enough cop on to resign after last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Surely his expectations when he originally joined was not to relegated? Not only has he achieved that and still is, he won the bloody Premier League! Ironically, if Leicester stayed in the position they are currently in in the Premier League for the past two years, he'd still have his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think the players are key here, by and large they got new contracts and a bump in money in the summer as well as being lavished by the owners with cars and bonuses after a remarkable win.

Theyve got complacent and half arsed the season and its cost Ranieri his job on the back of it. If they get the thumb out they can survive but I'd love nothing more than to see Vardy relegated.

Disregarding the fact that their next match is against Liverpool, it would really annoy me if they went on a good run now, like as if they started trying again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jamie Vardy is a Championship/relegation battle Premier League player. Ranieri dragged him and a team of players like him to the fcuking Premier League. Leicester City won the Premier League!

Less than nine months later they sack him, it's just disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    They've being doing well In champions league all season. That from hasn't transferred over to the premier league beforehand why would it do so now ?
    Because their history over the last two seasons says so.

They had 8 wins and 4 draws over the final twelve games last season.
    They had 7 wins, two draws and three losses over the final twelve games the season before.

It's all about the money unfortunately. They looked like a team going down and the club felt like they had to do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,194 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

monkey9 wrote: »
    What?? They were awful last night. Most of the team don't seem to want to play for him anymore.

They don't seem to want to play for anyone. They're all in holiday mode and happy to just turn up and collect their wages.

Will they move for Martin O'Neill now?

Do people ever think that maybe Ranieiri had very little to do with them actually winning the league and it was just one massive freak occurence.

Nothing in his career before that suggested he was a genius manager and nothing in the players careers beforehand suggested they were top quality.The whole thing was just a pleasant accident.

The club can't afford to lose out on the premier league money and as harsh as his sacking is if they stay up it will be somewhat justified.Nobody here is taking a big financial risk with the club but the owners are and are entitled to look after their finances if they think they're at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What Leicester did under Ranieri last season encapsulated all that was beautiful about the game; Leicester sacking him a year later encapsulates all that is ugly about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When one considers the players they bought in (who signed them? how much input did Ranieri have) and the salaries they are on the club hierarchy might want to look into it's own heart.

Jaysus he only got the World Manager of the Year 6 or 7 weeks ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That's a disgrace, they've been on a bad run in the league, but they've been putting everything into the Champions League this year and it's paying off. I can still see them progressing to the next round of the Champo League and definitely not going down. Their season is far from doomed and this is a silly thing to do at this stage.
    Who can they bring in with experience in both competitions they are in to progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Exactly, what calibre of manager can they get at this stage of the season? Does the board think they're Barcelona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

PropJoe10 wrote:
    If this is true, I hope they get relegated in spectacular style.

It underlines the utterly freakish nature of Leicester City winning the premier league in the first place. It was unprecedented and is unlikely ever to be repeated by a similar type of club in similar circumstances. What's happening now is that the team is playing to the true level of it's abilities which is middling Championship standard. Ranieri is no more than a managerial journeyman who had, bear in mind, been sacked from his three previous positions.

• Advertisement

And they're STILL a 1-0 home win away from the semi-finals of the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

The only consolation is that he should find another managerial job fairly easily with a team that want to play for the manager.

****ing hell shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

They aren't even in the relegation zone.

An absolute joke, I think he deserved the chance to keep them up, he produced the biggest shock in football history last year and they cant even treat him with a bit of class.

Even if they did go down the parachute payments are massive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mancini favorite for the job followed by Pardew with bookmakers.

And they're STILL a 1-0 home win away from the semi-finals of the Champions League.

QF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Im sure their100m winnings and parachute payment would have bought him a year or two to get them out of the championship if they went down

Mancini favorite for the job followed by Pardew with bookmakers.

Bringing back a club legend like Mancini might really galvanize the whole club and steer them to safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

The Premier League needs to be their bread and butter. Any long term ambitions the club has hinges on them staying in the league.

I think it's the wrong decision, but I don't think it's this shocking, insane decision that it's being made out to be.

Im sure the owners have been thinking "Okay, that's just a blip, I'm sure we'll turn it around now" for a long, long time this season. It's hard to blame them for getting uncomfortable. It's almost March and they are a major, major relegation candidate.

I don't think they would have got relegated, and ultimately it does appear to be down to a group of players having achieved their goal and phoning it in ever since rather than Ranieri's doing. But it's his job to motivate them too. Managers generally always pay the price for players' shortcomings, rightly or wrongly.

I think it's the wrong move but I'm not surprised and I don't blame them for getting rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm in no way shocked by this. The players have let him down but its always the manager that pays the price. I actually thought he would be gone a couple of weeks back.

Do people ever think that maybe Ranieiri had very little to do with them actually winning the league and it was just one massive freak occurence.

Nothing in his career before that suggested he was a genius manager and nothing in the players careers beforehand suggested they were top quality.The whole thing was just a pleasant accident.

The club can't afford to lose out on the premier league money and as harsh as his sacking is if they stay up it will be somewhat justified.Nobody here is taking a big financial risk with the club but the owners are and are entitled to look after their finances if they think they're at risk.

Although i do think that this is a very harsh opinion, i do find myself agreeing with it to an extent.

Firstly, you just cannot take away from what Ranieri achieved, he picked the teams, formations etc, set the tone and atmosphere within the club and played an absolute blinder within the media in terms of keeping the pressure off, making everything lighthearted (still talking about staying up when it was clear they were going for Champion League spots at the very least, bringing the club out for pizza when they kept clean sheets) etc etc. That's all managerial skill and experience and not anyone can just do that.

But i do always look back on what Leicester achieved last year and it's just so bizarre and surreal, that a lot of it was Ranieri going along on the ride with it as well.

Again, i don't want to take anything away from him, like any manager, he had a lot of luck. He was able to pretty much play the same side every week, and really, he was only using a squad of almost fifteen players. It was like something from the Pre-Premier League era. They hardly had any injuries and he could pick the same side with the same tactics and formation every week which is where my opinion is that he was just going along with it.

I don't think anyone will ever understand what happened last year, it was a perfect storm.

But as i said in a previous post, they are this season just having the one everyone thought they would have last year, the perfect storm has passed and things are back to normal.

It's harsh on Ranieri and this in no way takes away from his legacy. He's been sacked plenty of times, like all managers have. But he's the only manager who can say he won the league with Leicester.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    It underlines the utterly freakish nature of Leicester City winning the premier league in the first place. It was unprecedented and is unlikely ever to be repeated by a similar type of club in similar circumstances. What's happening now is that the team is playing to the true level of it's abilities which is middling Championship standard. Ranieri is no more than a managerial journeyman who had, bear in mind, been sacked from his three previous positions.
    He wasn't sacked by Monaco, they never agreed on a new contract and he walked after the season.

He has done a very good job at a lot of clubs. He did very well with Valencia back in the late 90's, he did an excellent job at Chelsea and was pretty harshly treated by Abramovich when he sacked him to take on Mourinho. He did well with Roma too and with Monaco and of course that magical run to the title last year.

He had Leicester still in the Champion's league and in good shape for the second leg in a couple of weeks time. I felt pretty confident in my belief that he would have kept Leicester up this season and I think they could go down now because this is the worst decision made in the Premier league since the owners of the club I support, Venky's, sacked Sam Allardyce in December 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

You have to wonder how different this thread might be if this was a team that had a decent sized population of posters on this forum (same goes for most parts of the Internet that I frequent to be honest).

It is all well and good for us to look at the whole romantic side of what happened there last season, and no doubt the Leicester fans/boards do too, but they also have to face the reality of the consequences of what comes if they don't manage to turn it around too. We don't. Very easy for lots of this forum to cast but a passing glance at Leicester's fortunes next season.

Alot of people talked about how Leicester fans would take a relegation this season if it meant a title last season, and they would. But that isn't the scenario they're in right now, they already have a Premier League title, and now they have to make sure that winning the title is the only part of that tradeoff that actually happens.

The whole thing comes down to whether you think Ranieri would have kept them up. They would have been a prediction to go down for me, but you never know how it goes. They may still go down with whatever new appointment they bring in now. If you had a crystal ball and could see how this would have gone had they kept Ranieri, you could objectively say whether this was the right shout or not.

The Premier League needs to be their bread and butter. Any long term ambitions the club has hinges on them staying in the league.

I think it's the wrong decision, but I don't think it's this shocking, insane decision that it's being made out to be.

Im sure the owners have been thinking "Okay, that's just a blip, I'm sure we'll turn it around now" for a long, long time this season. It's hard to blame them for getting uncomfortable. It's almost March and they are a major, major relegation candidate.

I don't think they would have got relegated, and ultimately it does appear to be down to a group of players having achieved their goal and phoning it in ever since rather than Ranieri's doing. But it's his job to motivate them too. Managers generally always pay the price for players' shortcomings, rightly or wrongly.

I think it's the wrong move but I'm not surprised and I don't blame them for getting rid.[/QUOT

He doesn't come across as the type of manager to give players the hairdryer treatment and be able to motivate players aka Fergie as he is very quiet spoken and last season was a massive fluke. They need someone like that to give the players the kick in the arse they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The movie will still get made?
    Right?

I think it's the wrong move but I'm not surprised and I don't blame them for getting rid.

I absolutely agree with this. I just can't find myself to be shocked and angered at all of this. Maybe i'm just too used to the business of football these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Absolute fúcking disgrace.

Ranieiri should be immortalised in a fúcking statue outside the stadium. Nevermind sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

billyhead wrote: »

I think it's the wrong move but I'm not surprised and I don't blame them for getting rid.[/QUOT

He doesn't come across as the type of manager to give players the hairdryer treatment and be able to motivate players aka Fergie as he is very quiet spoken and last season was a massive fluke. They need someone like that to give the players the kick in the arse they need.

Not sure where ypu get winning last season was a fluke. 38 games. Best team over the season.

CSF wrote: »
    You have to wonder how different this thread might be if this was a team that had a decent sized population of posters on this forum (same goes for most parts of the Internet that I frequent to be honest).

It is all well and good for us to look at the whole romantic side of what happened there last season, and no doubt the Leicester fans/boards do too, but they also have to face the reality of the consequences of what comes if they don't manage to turn it around too. We don't. Very easy for lots of this forum to cast but a passing glance at Leicester's fortunes next season.

Alot of people talked about how Leicester fans would take a relegation this season if it meant a title last season, and they would. But that isn't the scenario they're in right now, they already have a Premier League title, and now they have to make sure that winning the title is the only part of that tradeoff that actually happens.

The whole thing comes down to whether you think Ranieri would have kept them up. They would have been a prediction to go down for me, but you never know how it goes. They may still go down with whatever new appointment they bring in now. If you had a crystal ball and could see how this would have gone had they kept Ranieri, you could objectively say whether this was the right shout or not.

I don't think he would have, and what's more, i don't think he'd have brought them back up if they did get relegated.

Yeah, calling last season a fluke is one of the most moronic things you'll see. They were unreal. Fully deserving and won it at a canter.

billyhead wrote: »

Not sure where ypu get winning last season was a fluke. 38 games. Best team over the season.

The whole thing was a massive fluke.Everything that could have went well for them did.They were the best team but some many circumstances went in their favour last season, that allowed them to be the best team.

It was the sporting equivalent of winning the lotto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

just saw it on SNN I am shocked with the timing. Thought he would have till the end of there CL run. Very strange

I don't think he would have, and what's more, i don't think he'd have brought them back up if they did get relegated.
    My personal opinion is that the answer to whether this was a correct decision is a direct correlation to whether you think he would have kept them up, and how strongly you feel in your opinion.

If one is among those people who are of the opinion that he more likely wouldn't have kept them up but deserved the chance to try, well isn't it great for you to be willing to sacrifice the future of some club you care nothing about, based on your loose notions of what is right and wrong.

The whole thing was a massive fluke.Everything that could have went well for them did.They were the best team but some many circumstances went in their favour last season, that allowed them to be the best team.

Whatever happened last season, you can never fluke a league title. It's 38 games, they were simply the best last year, by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

if leisester were offered 18 months ago to win the league, but on the condition they got relegated the next season and had to keep the manager they would 100% have taken that deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I absolutely agree with this. I just can't find myself to be shocked and angered at all of this. Maybe i'm just too used to the business of football these days.

I'm the same. Last season is done, and looking at this season in isolation, Leicester have been terrible - domestically at least. As sad as it is, if sacking Ranieri now is the difference between them staying in the premier league instead of getting relegated then it's an excellent decision by the board.

This is rubbish. They lost a total of 3 games all season. While Chelsea haven't drawn as many as Leicester did, they've lost that amount of games already.

Must take a hell of alot of luck for 35 opponents to be unable to beat them.

Ranieri was able to get 11 players performing at their best at the same time, and the luck they did manage to get was that they didn't suffer too many injuries.

if leisester were offered 18 months ago to win the league, but on the condition they got relegated the next season and had to keep the manager they would 100% have taken that deal.
    But that isn't how it worked is it? They won that title on their own merits, and now want to defend their position in the Premier League on their own merits. Whether or not Ranieri would have kept them up is down to opinion, but many of the same people who were saying they were going down are now calling this an outrageous decision. Which makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Right decision sadly. Wrong timing. As for "shock" this has been on the books since November and many fans could see and wanted him gone as they knew how things were going since December.

I've been following the Leicester fan forum and the insight there is fascinating. I think many that see it as a disgrace are a little blinded. It's a pity and the players should be sacked before him but I don't think it's as much a shock and a bad decision that many are making out at all.

I've expected this for a while. The players have turned against him and sadly player power wins again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

As sad as it is, if sacking Ranieri now is the difference between them staying in the premier league instead of getting relegated then it's an excellent decision by the board.

If they stay up, we'll never know if it was a good decision.

I just struggle to accept that a man who is capable of winning the League with that lot can somehow not be good enough for them.

Players get away with fúcking murder.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    This is rubbish. They lost a total of 3 games all season. While Chelsea haven't drawn as many as Leicester did, they've lost that amount of games already.

Must take a hell of alot of luck for 35 opponents to be unable to beat them.

Ranieri was able to get 11 players performing at their best at the same time, and the luck they did manage to get was that they didn't suffer too many injuries.

Pretty much.

All the supposed better teams in the league were ****e last season, which emboldened Leicester and made them better than they were.Had they played in any other league season they wouldn't have won because they would have been under much more pressure.You also have the massive coincidence of every single one of their players having the best season they have ever had all at the one time.

What has happened this season and the season before last proves how lucky they were.You can't go from being ****e to brilliant back to ****e again without their being a large amount of luck involved.

Advertisement