Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ranieri Sacked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

mancini early favorite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

MOTD, The Premier League Show with Gary Lineker on BBC2 at 10pm might need a change of story. (From scheduled Juan Mata one.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

if leisester were offered 18 months ago to win the league, but on the condition they got relegated the next season and had to keep the manager they would 100% have taken that deal.

Yeah but that's not how things work.

Roberto Mancini2.25
    Frank de Boer6.00
    Nigel Pearson9.00
    Alan Pardew9.00
    Gary Rowett9.00
    Neil Lennon13.00
    Mark Warburton15.00
    Gerry Taggart17.00
    David Wagner17.00
    Avram Grant21.00
    Rafa Benitez21.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Roberto Mancini2.25
    Frank de Boer6.00
    Nigel Pearson9.00
    Alan Pardew9.00
    Gary Rowett9.00
    Neil Lennon13.00
    Mark Warburton15.00
    Gerry Taggart17.00
    David Wagner17.00
    Avram Grant21.00
    Rafa Benitez21.00
    Gerry Taggart :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

CSF wrote: »
    This is rubbish. They lost a total of 3 games all season. While Chelsea haven't drawn as many as Leicester did, they've lost that amount of games already.

Must take a hell of alot of luck for 35 opponents to be unable to beat them.

Ranieri was able to get 11 players performing at their best at the same time, and the luck they did manage to get was that they didn't suffer too many injuries.

A fluke is defined as a improbable occurrence, with the implication that the occurrence could not be repeated and thats exactly what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Unbelievable really considering last season and this season they had no right to be anything more than a team fluttering around the relegation zone

You just don't get flukes over a sample size of 38 football games.

I really don't get the "shocking" word being thrown about? Have people been living under a rock for the last few months. This has been hugely speculated for a long time. Shocking as in sadly shocking or how has it come to this but I can't fathom why people have missed this story unfolding for months. .....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Ranieri was gonna win the league next season.

The SkyBet Championship :D

• Advertisement

On another note, I wouldn't fancy being Ranieri's next club. The pressure will be unbearable and I thik he is gonna have a tough time of it for the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

My personal opinion is that the answer to whether this was a correct decision is a direct correlation to whether you think he would have kept them up, and how strongly you feel in your opinion.

If one is among those people who are of the opinion that he more likely wouldn't have kept them up but deserved the chance to try, well isn't it great for you to be willing to sacrifice the future of some club you care nothing about, based on your loose notions of what is right and wrong.

Absolutely. You're right, it's easy for opposition fans to have an opinion on what's right and wrong when it doesn't affect them and i suppose even some Leicester fans probably don't know right now how to feel.

But if i'm the owner, i'm just looking at the whole situation stood back at a distance and feeling that the players aren't playing for Ranieri and you just can't sack the squad hence why it's always the manager who gets the bullet.

You can have a scenario like at Burnley where Sean Dyche brought them up into the Premier League and it was fairly clear towards the end of the season that they were going down. Now, you can make the decision to sack Dyche, but what if you go down anyway? Who would you want as manager to bring you back up? Someone like Sean Dyche. So they stuck with him, got relegated. Then got promoted the following season and now they look comfortable this year because of that experience of two years ago.

With Leicester, i feel they are getting relegated, primarily because of the players, and i don't feel Ranieri would bring them back up. I think it's a decision they needed to make.

I've been here before with the likes of Southampton when they sacked Nigel Adkins and i was outraged at how they could sack a man only a few months into a Premier League season where that manager got them there after starting off in League One. Now look at Southamption. Playing in a League Cup final on Sunday, top half of the table and they're youth academy earning them millions.

As directors and owners at Leicester, they're looking to progress the club and i don't feel, and clearly neither do they, that Ranieri will do that, no matter what happened last year.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Absolutely. You're right, it's easy for opposition fans to have an opinion on what's right and wrong when it doesn't affect them and i suppose even some Leicester fans probably don't know right now how to feel.

But if i'm the owner, i'm just looking at the whole situation stood back at a distance and feeling that the players aren't playing for Ranieri and you just can't sack the squad hence why it's always the manager who gets the bullet.

You can have a scenario like at Burnley where Sean Dyche brought them up into the Premier League and it was fairly clear towards the end of the season that they were going down. Now, you can make the decision to sack Dyche, but what if you go down anyway? Who would you want as manager to bring you back up? Someone like Sean Dyche. So they stuck with him, got relegated. Then got promoted the following season and now they look comfortable this year because of that experience of two years ago.

With Leicester, i feel they are getting relegated, primarily because of the players, and i don't feel Ranieri would bring them back up. I think it's a decision they needed to make.

I've been here before with the likes of Southampton when they sacked Nigel Adkins and i was outraged at how they could sack a man only a few months into a Premier League season where that manager got them there after starting off in League One. Now look at Southamption. Playing in a League Cup final on Sunday, top half of the table and they're youth academy earning them millions.

As directors and owners at Leicester, they're looking to progress the club and i don't feel, and clearly neither do they, that Ranieri will do that, no matter what happened last year.
    I think it is different here though. Whoever takes them over now will be odds against to get relegated. The Leicester board will be anything but planning for a Championship campaign next season. It may still happen, but the board have made this move in the expectation that they'll be ok.

Otherwise you'd have kept him, let every bad egg go at the end of the season (which I think they should do anyway regardless of what division they're in) and let Ranieri try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

outrage outrage rabble rabble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

They've made the mistake of concluding that Ranieri is what is holding back a quality squad from performing as they should be, when in fact, they are performing as they should be, it's just Ranieri can't hope that all the stars will align for them again.

He deserved to fight until the end of the season. He deserved to be allowed the dignity of quitting rather than being sacked, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

I dont know who said last season was a fluke, because the quoting thingy in this thread is gone bananas.

Anyway, no way was it a fluke.
    I watched a lot of matches last season.
    And in the run Leicester were on live constantly. I remember a couple of live games thinking, no way will Leicester get three points today, but they did and deserved to win.
    How can it be fluke to be on top of the table after 38 games???
    Such silly statements by some posters. Its like you cant remember last March and April, it wasnt that long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wouldn't be too worried for Claudio. A Premier League winning manager will earn a lot of Wonga in China. Although he may have to change the Pizza-Clean Sheet deal with Curry Chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

enzo roco wrote: »
    I dont know who said last season was a fluke, because the quoting thingy in this thread is gone bananas.

And in the run Leicester were on live constantly. I remember a couple of live games thinking, no way will Leicester get three points today, but they did and deserved to win.
    Such silly statements by some posters. Its like you cant remember last March and April, it wasnt that long ago.

The world fluke can mean an unlikely occurence a stroke of luck.Synonyms of the word fluke include: accident,chance,circumstance.

The word is an accurate description of what happened.

Everything that possibly could have went well for Leicester did last season.They were th best team as they accumulated the most points but circumstances worked in their favour to allow them to win.They have reverted back to their normal level this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think it is different here though. Whoever takes them over now will be odds against to get relegated. The Leicester board will be anything but planning for a Championship campaign next season. It may still happen, but the board have made this move in the expectation that they'll be ok.

Otherwise you'd have kept him, let every bad egg go at the end of the season (which I think they should do anyway regardless of what division they're in) and let Ranieri try again.

Maybe they will though. They know more about the club than anyone here does so they've probably been told that players aren't performing for the manager, maybe some players have gone to them, who knows?

The timing may not be great, but they well could have someone lined up already. Although that list of favourites wouldn't inspire confidence, i must say, starting with Mancini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Fergie was fond of saying that whoever was on top at the end of the season was the deserved winner. No excuses. It's as simple as that really.

Some people just want to have an asterisk placed beside the 2015-2016 season to explain why Leicester City were better than Liverpool and United. But they were better, for 38 games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You just don't get flukes over a sample size of 38 football games.

38 isn't a big sample size in any reasonable statistical test.

You absolutely do get fluke league positions over just 38 games. Yes, a team won't fluke winning the league instead of getting relegated in a season. But by the very nature of a sample size of 38, 2/3 fluke results can make all the difference between winning the league and not and getting relegated or not.

I think we can agree though that the difference between last season and this isn't a few fluke results; something has fundamentally changed with the team this season and the board have obviously made the decision on the back of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I really don't get the "shocking" word being thrown about? Have people been living under a rock for the last few months. This has been hugely speculated for a long time. Shocking as in sadly shocking or how has it come to this but I can't fathom why people have missed this story unfolding for months. .....?

That's why it's not a "surprise", but people can still be shocked that the club have acted in this way, especially after the (dreaded) vote of confidence.

The world fluke can mean an unlikely occurence a stroke of luck.Synonyms of the word fluke include: accident,chance,circumstance.

Everything that possibly could have went well for Leicester did last season.They were th best team as they accumulated the most points but circumstances worked in their favour to allow them to win.They have reverted back to their normal level this season.

No its not. It was not a stroke of luck.

The circumstances that worked in their favour was that, Leicester played some great football, a lot of their players were outstanding over the season, and they won the league.

Your argument is mind boggling. You could say the same about anything in sport. I will actually:
    Madrid win the champions league, a lot went in their favour last year, just luck.
    Barca win the treble, everything that could have went well for them did that season.
    Chelsea win the league 2017, pure fluke. Im 100% certain theyll revert back to 10th next season. Jammy bastarrds!!!

The word 'gay' can mean light-hearted and carefree, except it doesn't.

When people call Leicester's title run a 'fluke' they're not getting into a semantic or meta-physical conversation about the use of language or the vagaries of chance. They'e calling it a fluke, and we all know what fluke means.

Amirani wrote: »

But it is, actually >30 is a decent sample size for a statistical test of a population, whether it is hypothesis testing, confidence intervals etc..

No its not. It was not a stroke of luck.

The circumstances that worked in their favour was that, Leicester played some great football, a lot of their players were outstanding over the season, and they won the league.

Your argument is mind boggling. You could say the same about anything in sport. I will actually:
    Madrid win the champions league, a lot went in their favour last year, just luck.
    Barca win the treble, everything that could have went well for them did that season.
    Chelsea win the league 2017, pure fluke. Im 100% certain theyll revert back to 10th next season. Jammy bastarrds!!!

Leicesters players were ****e before last season and have been ****e this season.All of their players having the season of their lives at the one time is really really lucky.The whole thing was a fluke, they played well but that doesn't mean it wasn't a fluke.Chelsea and Madrid are really bad examples as their players have been top quality before they won anything and they would be expected to win things , Leicesters players were bog standard all through their careers before what happened last year and they have gone back to their usual form this season.

You can fluke a win in any sport, numerous golf majors have been won in similar circumstances.

di matteo to come in and win the champions league?

Pickpocket wrote: »
    The word 'gay' can mean light-hearted and carefree, except it doesn't.

When people call Leicester's title run a 'fluke' they're not getting into a semantic or meta-physical conversation about the use of language or the vagaries of chance. They'e calling it a fluke, and we all know what fluke means.

Yes it does.

The fact of the matter is that these owners are in the position that they can have their cake and eat it! They can revel in the league win and don't have to worry about sentiment or loyalty when sh1t has hit the pan like it has. They will get roasted by certain fans but most of the real fans understood that they needed a new direction just like they did with Pearson when fired who was adored by the fans and had himself, worked wonders with the squad albeit to a very different level.
    So the chances are Leicester will probably stay up now, may have with Ranieri but just like Pearson the owners can only speculate on the evidence and the evidence was pointing to relegation at this stage.

As I said the owners are in the position to have their cake and eat it, sadly Ranieri isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Yes it does.

You know what he means. You're being deliberately obtuse.

Leicesters players were ****e before last season and have been ****e this season.All of their players having the season of their lives at the one time is really really lucky.The whole thing was a fluke, they played well but that doesn't mean it wasn't a fluke.Chelsea and Madrid are really bad examples as their players have been top quality before they won anything and they would be expected to win things , Leicesters players were bog standard all through their careers before what happened last year and they have gone back to their usual form this season.

You can fluke a win in any sport, numerous golf majors have been won in similar circumstances.

My goodness.

Everyone knows in sport what a fluke is. A fluke is when a football hits off a beachball on the pitch and goes in.
    Or when Henry handles the ball twice and leads to a goal, it was a fluke that the ref didnt see it and the goal was given.
    It is not a fluke that Leicester played well and won the league.

Amirani wrote: »

It's great to see the statisticians weighing in. There's nothing quite like a football debate to bring out the educated masses.

Days like this will always remind me of the Evra/Suarez incident, when legions of Liverpool fans revealed themselves to be amateur etymologists.

And also of last summer, when Man United supporters were having their say about the newly appointed Mourinho's employment tribunal. Who would have thought that so many of Wayne Rooney's fans were so adept at civil law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

It's an understandable decision. I just feel bad because Ranieri is such a likeable guy and I would have loved for him to have turned it around, but I can't argue with the owners reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

The club needs to act in it's best interest, and that's not served by keeping him in as manager. As hard as it is, if they kept him on as they'd most probably be relegated. Once that happens, it's very easy to go into freefall.

A tough decision, but the right one unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Id agree with most of that. The likes of Simpson huth and Morgan are extremely average players. They all had a season like they have never had before as did vardy. Kante was a huge factor in what they did also. They totally deserved to win the league last year but I would have been shocked if they had finished in the top 8 this year. I think the stars all aligned for them to win the league last year and fair play to them for taking advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Leicester didn't win last season because of luck or fluke..

They won the league fair and square. Playing the better football and beating what was in front of them.

38 games lads.

Alot of you have very short memories

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

if leisester were offered 18 months ago to win the league, but on the condition they got relegated the next season and had to keep the manager they would 100% have taken that deal.

So? That's not the question :confused:

They can win the league and stay up if they bring in the right man. The players had been phoning it in with Ranieri too long, and unfortunately, the buck always stops with the manager. It's his job to motivate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I feel that the big upturn in form and results for Hull and Swansea recently has pushed the owners into it. Looking more and more like a Sunderland, Palace, Leicester/Boro bottom 3 at the moment.

But sickened they didn't let him stay til the end of the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Would love a club for once to call out several players rather than sack the manager.

United under Ferguson told so many great players to go **** themselves. A long list of great players that thought they could undermine the manager, they got a wake up call though.
    No player is bigger than the club, unless that club is Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Would love a club for once to call out several players rather than sack the manager.

United under Ferguson told so many great players to go **** themselves. A long list of great players that thought they could undermine the manager, they got a wake up call though.

What bull! It's basically the exact same situation all across world football! Buck stops with the manager. Not saying it's right but that's how it is.

• Advertisement

From making the headlines for a relegation escape followed by a racist Thai gang-bang starring the manager's son, to one year later lifting the PL trophy to a soundtrack delivered by Andrea Bocelli, Claudio Raneiri deserved more for the heights he lifted Leicester City to.

He hasn't been flawless this season. From a results point-of-view the sacking isn't a shock, but considering last season's extraordinary win and the fruits it bore, he should have been given extraordinary allowances. Not treated like similar relegation-struggling managers such as Pardew at Palace or Phelan at Hull.

Clearly, as reports have gone and performances have alluded to, the players have been lost to him for a while now. I can only imagine some of the egos in the LCFC locker-room since the title win. Considering one or two of the characters in there, I'd say some highly toxic words were parted with in the last few weeks. Who knows, maybe Ranieri is better away from such an environment at this point in his life.

He brought LCFC a PL title and a touch of class, two things they likely won't have again. He'll go down as a legend in football for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

PhilipsR wrote: »
    What bull! It's basically the exact same situation all across world football! Buck stops with the manager. Not saying it's right but that's how it is.

It's rare. Fergie had tough times at United, club were a rock behind him as he earned that respect. Ranieri earned enough respect not to be sacked like this. Managers are only pawns to the owners nowadays, they get no say in who stays or go's. Mourinho should have put Hazzard in reserves last season, and sold him in next window. He wasn't allowed to do that though, to a player who would not play for him.

• Harsh!!! So harsh!
    He's such a likeable manager too IMO
    Ridiculous from the Leicester board.

Leicester didn't win last season because of luck or fluke..

They won the league fair and square. Playing the better football and beating what was in front of them.

38 games lads.

Alot of you have very short memories

Nobody is saying they didn't win it fair and square.(although I'd be very interested in having their drug test samples re-tested in a few years time)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It's not a fluke to win a league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

KungPao wrote: »
    I feel that the big upturn in form and results for Hull and Swansea recently has pushed the owners into it. Looking more and more like a Sunderland, Palace, Leicester/Boro bottom 3 at the moment.

But sickened they didn't let him stay til the end of the CL.

That is almost certainly what's prompted the panic button now and not a month ago - suddenly two no hopers are looking pretty good and on the form guide should end up clear of the drop even if it's by a 'hair's breadth'

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It's not a fluke to win a league.

It can be.You can get a lot of luck and win in any competition in any sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It can be.You can get a lot of luck and win in any competition in any sport.
    Not over 38 games. It was no fluke.

Why are you blaming the players for going back to their usual standard.They had one great year and basically they've reverted to the norm this year.They shouldn't be too harshly criticised for that.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Not over 38 games. It was no fluke.

Then why can't they do it again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement