Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ranieri Sacked

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

It can be.You can get a lot of luck and win in any competition in any sport.

Not really in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Nobody is saying they didn't win it fair and square.(although I'd be very interested in having their drug test samples re-tested in a few years time)

I think you may a big problem with Leicester, makes sense now.

An underdog wins, flukey bastarrds!!!!! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why are you blaming the players for going back to their usual standard.They had one great year and basically they've reverted to the norm this year.They shouldn't be too harshly criticised for that.

If that is what is going on then why should the Manager get the blame. Staying up is winning for Leicester. I think they will, and would have without sacking the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Leicester didn't win last season because of luck or fluke..

They won the league fair and square. Playing the better football and beating what was in front of them.

38 games lads.

Alot of you have very short memories

They also finished the previous season with a fantastic run of seven out of nine wins. That surely galvanized the team and helped them go into their title winning season on the upswing, albeit with a different manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Not really in this case.

Then why can't they get close to replicating the form they showed last year.

If that is what is going on then why should the Manager get the blame. Staying up is winning for Leicester. I think they will, and would have without sacking the manager.

Because getting a new manager in sometimes lights a fire under the players and the players up their performances because of it.That's probably what Leicesters hierarchy are hoping for with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,194 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Then why can't they do it again?

As has been said already, the stars aligned for them last season and the players performed well above expectations while all their rivals struggled. Not even the most diehard Leicester fan expected them to challenge for the league this season. The owners would have been satisfied with a mid table finish and a decent run in the Champions League. Ranieri delivered on the latter but their league form has cost him his job unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

That doesn't change what happened last season.

They did it over a 38 game season. It was't a fluke.

You can say it was a fluke if you like, but you'll be wrong.

As has been said already, the stars aligned for them last season and the players performed well above expectations while all their rivals struggled. Not even the most diehard Leicester fan expected them to challenge for the league this season. The owners would have been satisfied with a mid table finish and a decent run in the Champions League. Ranieri delivered on the latter but their league form has cost him his job unfortunately.

Which was really really fortunate for Leicester which is exactly the point I've been making all along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Kante.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

You could ask mourinho the same question last year. Why was my winning league team losing?

There are plenty of reasons for the failure to continue on this season. From Kante leaving, to the replacement signings not working out, teams catching up and figuring how to exploit Leicester playing style.

This season does not take away from there brilliant and deserved league title last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,194 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Which was really really fortunate for Leicester which is exactly the point I've been making all along.

It doesn't make it a fluke though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How often do teams win back to back titles, how often does every usual suspect play to such a mediocre standard in the same season? And so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

TheCitizen wrote: »
    That doesn't change what happened last season.

They did it over a 38 game season. It was't a fluke.

You can say it was a fluke if you like, but you'll be wrong.

More of a perfect storm than a fluke. They over-performed in a league where every other serious contender massively under-performed.

It was a specific set of circumstances, some of which were outside of their control. Therefore it's impossible for them to recreate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

tigger123 wrote: »
    More of a perfect storm than a fluke. They over-performed in a league where every other serious contender massively under-performed.

It was a specific set of circumstances, some of which were outside of their control. Therefore it's impossible for them to recreate.

The team recreated their form from the previous season. They were the best team in England for a year and half.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

big money contracts for a lot of players

losing steve walsh to Everton

buying dross in the summer

selling Kante

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Why should the players not be criticised for reverting to their supposed 'norm'? They've shown what individually they are capable of. Without being expected to maintain what they did last year, reverting to be being crap having shown your top ability is absolutely something to be criticised for.

Being a one season wonder isn't something to be accepted. The squad on paper are also stronger than the one that stayed up two seasons ago so their level should be somewhere slightly higher than relegation fodder. On paper they should be well clear of Boro/Hull/Sunderland/Swansea, palace having a shocker with a decent squad. Stronger than Burnley, Watford and Bournemouth on paper too. They're not completely crap and must take a lot of the flak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    big money contracts for a lot of players

losing steve walsh to Everton

buying dross in the summer

selling Kante

The dross is the biggest part. They spent 50 million in the Summer with Slimani the only player looking remotely decent. Slimani at the AFCON played a big part in it because they haven't scored a league goal since.

If they had have turned even one loss to a win in January or February, I reckon he'd still be in a job. Their position would have been that little bit more manageable. Those are the margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

stankratz wrote: »
    Even discounting the fact that Bocelli sang Nessun Dorma that day and not Time to Say Goodbye, that's atrocious.

Annoyed at myself for being that guy, but he did sing Time to Say Goodbye - I remember it well because he switched up the lyrics to "Time to Win Again" which I hated.

Youtube link - song starts at 4:47 in:

What a ridiculous moment that whole thing was. Perhaps the most unbelievable thing that has unfolded in the Premier League.

Truly special.

I'm very sad to see people calling it a 'fluke'. I hope that is not how it gets looked back on 10-15 years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Should we be surprised? Modern day football is soulless sh1t. He was damaging the 'brand' this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

stankratz wrote: »
    He'll go down as a legend in football for years to come.

In years to come the history books will tell the tale of how lowly Leicester came from nowhere to beat some of the worlds biggest clubs to the Premier league title...and then sacked the manager because fuck gratitude, this is business.

Complete bull****. Complete and utter bull****. ****sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Umaro wrote: »
    Annoyed at myself for being that guy, but he did sing Time to Say Goodbye - I remember it well because he switched up the lyrics to "Time to Win Again" which I hated.

Youtube link - song starts at 4:47 in:

What a ridiculous moment that whole thing was. Perhaps the most unbelievable thing that has unfolded in the Premier League.

Truly special.

I'm very sad to see people calling it a 'fluke'. I hope that is not how it gets looked back on 10-15 years from now.

Any serious football fan won't see a league title win as a fluke. It's simply not. To be that consistent over a 38 game period where you play the same clubs twice is not a fluke.

Leicester were the deserved champions. Not the greatest team i've ever seen, but the best team last season.

It was just mad bizarre though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Surely this is going to put off any prospective managers who aren't in it just for the money. What would any manager that takes over be thinking? If a manager keeps them up and starts off poorly next season he will probably be sacked. If a manager takes over next season and gets them promoted but then is hovering around the relagatuon zone he will probably be sacked.

This has completely turned me off the premier league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Can't believe it, after that good result away to Sevilla .. and nevermind that after *winning the league* he deserves at least 2 more seasons at the club.

total joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I feel so deflated over this, it feels so weird.

Not in any way, shape or form a Leicester fan but it makes me feel sick that they can sack him.

callaway92 wrote: »
    I feel so deflated over this, it feels so weird.

Not in any way, shape or form a Leicester fan but it makes me feel sick that they can sack him.

Same. Last week bit of romance I thought was left at the top level of football is gone. Out of CL in 3 weeks with a whimper, survive relegation with 2 weeks to spare then back to yo-yoing. Ugh.

enzo roco wrote: »
    I dont know who said last season was a fluke, because the quoting thingy in this thread is gone bananas.

Anyway, no way was it a fluke.
    I watched a lot of matches last season.
    And in the run Leicester were on live constantly. I remember a couple of live games thinking, no way will Leicester get three points today, but they did and deserved to win.
    How can it be fluke to be on top of the table after 38 games???
    Such silly statements by some posters. Its like you cant remember last March and April, it wasnt that long ago.

Spot on.

You can't fluke a league. You can have luck along the way but that's part and parcel.

They also won the league by 10 points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ranieri, Mourinho, Moyes

All it takes is a couple of senior players to turn and it's curtains. Managers seem to be up for review every 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think the decision must have been made a while ago, and a replacement signed up, with the expectation that they were going to lose big last night and could then point to their new man as a line in the sand. But of course it backfired when they got a bloody good result away against a great team, but things had moved too far down the firing track. It's all that makes sense to me. Otherwise, he simply had to at very least be given the return leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Shocked and saddened.

:(

Umaro wrote: »

Thanks, I deserve that. Apologies to the guy I quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Because they sold their most important who now plays for Chelsea fc, the club that is currently running away with the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Nice by José
    16832315_783968185087300_598151572720040089_n.jpg?oh=9c30bb63974fddf46280298a6db4028c&oe=594827E6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nice by José

It is, buuut, given that it's Jose, I can't help but see the underlying dig at Chelsea for doing the same thing to him last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Amazed by the timing of this, surely he deserved the second leg of the Sevilla tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Rikand wrote: »
    Shocked and saddened.

:(

No offense, but how can you be shocked??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Arghus wrote: »
    Amazed by the timing of this, surely he deserved the second leg of the Sevilla tie.

I'm guessing they did it now because they can still use the Champions League as a carrot to attract a good manager. Although that doesn't explain why they didn't do it before the first leg.

I know this only broke tonight but I'm surprised not to hear of any uproar coming from the fans or players. I don't think modern players are capable of getting together as a group and talking to the board, or handing in transfer requests, but not a whimper out of them?

If ever a group of players should be loyal to a manager over their club, it's this bunch of journeymen.

Just once I'd like to see a huge movement against this sort of decision, rather than life moving on.

A

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

In years to come the history books will tell the tale of how lowly Leicester came from nowhere to beat some of the worlds biggest clubs to the Premier league title...and then sacked the manager because fuck gratitude, this is business.

all for a few meagre points to put off the inevitable relegation fight next season too.

Even if they didn't win a single game for another few seasons, he should've been allowed to stay as long as he liked. He provided them more than any number of seasons in 16th place can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

monkey9 wrote: »
    No offense, but how can you be shocked??
    I'll tell you how, he had his team in a good position after one leg in the knockout stages of the Champion's league, he had two games to come in the Premier league before that second leg and three points from those two would put them in a better position in the league and this is Leicester City I've just been talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dfx- wrote: »

all for a few meagre points to put off the inevitable relegation fight next season too.

Even if they didn't win a single game for another few seasons, he should've been allowed to stay as long as he liked. He provided them more than any number of seasons in 16th place can.
    I can't help but find opinions like this offensive. If you're greedy enough to support a big club like Arsenal, then you can flip out and demand your manager's sacking after another 4th place finish because the FA Cup is your only chance of silverware, but if you're little old Leicester, then nope, you've had your little bit of success and now you are condemned to accept failure from here on out.

I get that expectations are relative at different clubs, but what is universal at all clubs is an entitlement to have them in the present, no matter what happened in the past. And to appreciate what Ranieri did last season forever, and to not want to get relegated and potentially begin a free fall, these are not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

CSF wrote: »
    I can't help but find opinions like this offensive. If you're greedy enough to support a big club like Arsenal, then you can flip out and demand your manager's sacking after another 4th place finish because the FA Cup is your only chance of silverware, but if you're little old Leicester, then nope, you've had your little bit of success and now you are condemned to accept failure from here on out.

I get that expectations are relative at different clubs, but what is universal at all clubs is an entitlement to have them in the present, no matter what happened in the past. And to appreciate what Ranieri did last season forever, and to not want to get relegated and potentially begin a free fall, these are not mutually exclusive.

But they're not appreciating what Ranieri did for them last season. If they did, they would have given him time to turn it around. Leicester were rooted to the bottom of the league with Pearson in charge but they didn't sack him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I dunno, have Leicester City supporters turned on Ranieri? Do they want him out? I suppose you'd expect them to stand by the manager that won a league and brought them to the CL a little longer. I know expectations have shifted a bit but surely he could have been given similar time that Pearson got a few seasons ago?

The man made the club a lot of money, you'd have thought they would have backed him a bit better even if it was a purely financial decision due to relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Average manager, won hardly anything in his whole career, got incredibly lucky one year then got found out the year after.

Don't really understand all the melodrama from some posters over Ranieri being sacked.Some of the reactions here are a little bit embarrassing.

It's the way the game is these days and sure they did great last season but the past is irrelevant in sport and if the owners feel the club have a better chance surviving with some other manager or perhaps this move will shock the players into action then they're entitled to do it.They're the ones who'll lose money of the team gets relegated.

I wouldn't be feeling too sorry for Ranieri, he's finally won a league title, he's well liked by everybody within the game and he gets a nice payoff for himself.He's not ill or anything so he's going out on somewhat of a high as h won't be the manager to take them down should the worst happen.

It's also a little bit much for a bunch of posters in Ireland who support premier league clubs complaining about the soul being ripped out of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Oh the league of Ireland is back so we've no soul now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Barlett wrote: »
    But they're not appreciating what Ranieri did for them last season. If they did, they would have given him time to turn it around. Leicester were rooted to the bottom of the league with Pearson in charge but they didn't sack him

They have given him time to turn it around.

Leicester have been terrible this season. There were calls for him to be sacked in December due to poor form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Average manager, won hardly anything in his whole career, got incredibly lucky one year then got found out the year after.

Luck over that many games? Yeh that was exactly it. It wasn't a cup with handy draws that they won.

It was the league. Idiotic post saying they got lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Don't really understand all the melodrama from some posters over Ranieri being sacked.Some of the reactions here are a little bit embarrassing.

You should be embarrassed by your ridiculous posts in this thread. Awful awful, silly stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

But your assumptions are that change equate to better. That seems to be the feeling among people who support the sacking "well that had to do something" as if trusting Ranieri to keep them up isn't also taking action...

The only thing change guarantees is a roll of the dice. There is little to suggest that sacking Ranieri was imperative or required immediately. They are not in the bottom four and are still in the champions league.

Like I've said before , they were a club in no better a position when Ranieri took over then they are now. The only difference is he won them the league and got to play champions league football for the first time ever.

Nobody is saying that the club should just accept championship football. People are saying they could of shown more composure when properly addressing the problem.

On a side note, if they get the "new manager" bounce against Liverpool it really is a horrible blight on the game how awfully fickle players are. I don't necessarily want to see them go down but I would of been cheering them on had Ranieri be at the helm. While this is not important to Leicester fans, is more a sign of how football has few things left that inspire and excite. Last year was a romance story that most football fans enjoyed. It encapsulated everything we all want to believe the sport is about and it was a once in a lifetime victory for the underdogs.

The sacking of Ranieri brings everybody who enjoyed their fairytale, right back down to the horrible, fickle, shallow dregs of the sport where clubs and players show no backbone or loyalty despite the fact they have never had it better financially.

• Advertisement
Advertisement