Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ranieri Sacked

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

enzo roco wrote: »
    You should be embarrassed by your ridiculous posts in this thread. Awful awful, silly stuff.

Nah.They were quite lucky, that's what happens when a massive underdog wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

On one hand i can see why because they look doomed to relegation but it's still sad to see him sacked. Its a pity he didn't retire in the summer. There was only ever one way this season was going to go

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm surprised anyone is surprised. Football is a business.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Barlett wrote: »
    CSF wrote: »
    I can't help but find opinions like this offensive. If you're greedy enough to support a big club like Arsenal, then you can flip out and demand your manager's sacking after another 4th place finish because the FA Cup is your only chance of silverware, but if you're little old Leicester, then nope, you've had your little bit of success and now you are condemned to accept failure from here on out.

I get that expectations are relative at different clubs, but what is universal at all clubs is an entitlement to have them in the present, no matter what happened in the past. And to appreciate what Ranieri did last season forever, and to not want to get relegated and potentially begin a free fall, these are not mutually exclusive.

But they're not appreciating what Ranieri did for them last season. If they did, they would have given him time to turn it around. Leicester were rooted to the bottom of the league with Pearson in charge but they didn't sack him
    By the sounds of it, the players were behind Pearson. They're not behind Ranieri by all accounts. A gross display of player power but this is the logic which leads me to believe that a change is more than just a roll of a dice.

Of course, you then have to gut the dressing room of the culprits in the summer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Yup Sky reporting the players were behind the whole thing. That's why there wasn't a peep out of them last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I'm surprised anyone is surprised. Football is a business.

I think people are more disgusted then surprised. Football isn't a business to fans but because it's been run like a business is the very reason it's losing a lot of its charm and draw.

Leicester winning the league brought some charm and romance to the game. Leicester sacking Ranieri brought brought the sport back down to the level that people find offputting. Sport isn't enjoyable because it's an exact science or because it's a business...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I like Ranieri BUT when the players, whose fault the bad performances on the pitch are, revolt against him then the bosses have to act. They had no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

No it's not. It's indisputably not.

Sometimes the underdog is just better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Luck over that many games? Yeh that was exactly it. It wasn't a cup with handy draws that they won.

It was the league. Idiotic post saying they got lucky.

Yep lucky. Leicester players were riding the crest of a wave. Utd, Arsenal, City and Chelsea all falling over themselves in a calamitous way. They are closer to their truer level now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get this gratitude business.

They have no time for that. The club's form is in freefall with a very real danger of being relegated which would be disastrous for the club.

The situation is worse than what Chelsea faced with Mourinho last season and not many found it out of order when he got sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I like Ranieri BUT when the players, whose fault the bad performances on the pitch are, revolt against him then the bosses have to act. They had no choice.

You're right. But doesn't it make you dislike football, and those players a lot more?

I hope they go down. And spectacularly.

Bunch of prima-donna, lazy, gutless cowards.

murpho999 wrote: »
    The situation is worse than what Chelsea faced with Mourinho last season and not many found it out of order when he got sacked.

Chelsea had great players and were failing miserably.

Leicester have very ordinary players, who are performing slightly below their actual level currently.

Big, big difference.

SlickRic wrote: »
    You're right. But doesn't it make you dislike football, and those players a lot more?

If they go down then most of them will just find other Premier League teams. They're winners after all. They have absolutely no allegiance to Leicester.
    The owners and shareholders are the people who suffer and of course the fans.
    Ranieri's biggest mistake for me was letting Kante go. He was the engine of the team. He made them tick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

I don't think Leicester were liucky to win the league , there were just more consistent than , only losing 3 games, yes they took advantage of the bigger teams problems but they won the league by a clear margin. getting someone in , the right person will be difficult , mancini and pearson being mentioned as they, in mancini would at the very least make more organised and harder to beat which should be achievable, I feel sorry for ranieri just when they might have looked to be turning things around after the sevilla game

But these players were everything that as good about the game last year.

Maybe Ranieri isn't actually that great a manager and the players feel they have a better chance without him.The players are basically playing at their true level now after having a freakishly good season last year.

But these players were everything that as good about the game last year.

Maybe Ranieri isn't actually that great a manager and the players feel they have a better chance without him.The players are basically playing at their true level now after having a freakishly good season last year.

I don't think Ranieri is that great. But he doesn't deserve the sack because the players have basically downed tools.

Player power is a scourge, but there's little that can be done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Correct decision unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Still peddling this lucky line. They weren't lucky last season. They where the best team over ten or so months.

I don't think Ranieri is that great. But he doesn't deserve the sack because the players have basically downed tools.

Player power is a scourge, but there's little that can be done about it.

The fact that they have got rid of him suggests to me that they actually do care.Not caring would be standing idly by and letting the team get relegated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'll tell you how, he had his team in a good position after one leg in the knockout stages of the Champion's league, he had two games to come in the Premier league before that second leg and three points from those two would put them in a better position in the league and this is Leicester City I've just been talking about.

You genuinely didn't see this coming, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Been coming. Soon as he got that dreaded vote of confidence last week, or the week before his days were well and truly numbered.

That's football I guess, seems better to sack a manager then stick with him and replace the players. Should be building a statue for him in reality but eaten bread is soon forgotten, its a results business and Ranieri would be well aware of that too.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Yup Sky reporting the players were behind the whole thing. That's why there wasn't a peep out of them last night.

And if that genuinely is the case, which looks it by their performances including in Seville, then it's a no brainer to sack Ranieri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Some few months though - Premier League winner, World Coach of the Year, CL knockout stages - Sacked.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Some few months though - Premier League winner, World Coach of the Year, CL knockout stages - Sacked.

The bloke's a legend and will always loved by football fans!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

This would be a lot easier to accept if he was an arseh0le, but Claudio comes across as a down to earth, genuine nice guy.

Nice guys finish last....eventually, in his case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Claudio comes across as a down to earth, genuine nice guy.

True that.

Something that hasn't been mentioned here is that Ranieri was given plenty of money to spend. Nobody expected Leicester to retain the title (i'm sure plenty have money on them going down), but the owners put their money where their mouths were and Ranieri has seemed incapable of dealing with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Arseblog, as so often, nailing it imo
    Anyway, Claudio Ranieri got sacked by Leicester last night which is both completely mental and completely understandable. Their form, and the fact the players have slacked off means that something's gotta give, and in cases like this it's never the squad, it's the manager. Coming less than 12 months after pulling off the most unlikely title win I've ever seen makes it a bit mental though, and you've gotta feel a bit sorry for him.
    I would hope that the parting is not acrimonious because even in this crazy football world where you're only ever judged on most recent game/performance, he deserves a lot better than to have some ranting gob****es going mental at him for what's happened this season. To have given that club a Premier League deserves a statue, his own weekend residence, a street named after him, and thousands of kids whose middle name is Claudio.
    Wayne Claudio Smiff. Chanetelle Claudio Winklebottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The players have not perforned well individually but that may possibly be down to Ranieri's coaching. To alleviate him of blame for the poor performances this season but credit him for their good performances last season doesn't make much sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The players have not perforned well individually but that may possibly be down to Ranieri's coaching. To alleviate him of blame for the poor performances this season but credit him for their good performances last season doesn't make much sense.
    An all too common argument made for managers when times are tough.

When a player makes an individual error you frequently hear 'well how can that be the manager's fault?'. I've never heard a manager discredited when a player's moment of individual brilliance decides a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

monkey9 wrote: »
    Something that hasn't been mentioned here is that Ranieri was given plenty of money to spend. Nobody expected Leicester to retain the title (i'm sure plenty have money on them going down), but the owners put their money where their mouths were and Ranieri has seemed incapable of dealing with that.
    Very good point, imo.

His final season at Chelsea was the one when Abramovich took over and all of a sudden it was like he was playing real-life FM. He spent tonnes but got some very erratic performances. Had Chelsea top at Christmas but really stuttered in the second half of the season and lost out to Arsenal.

Previously, he'd done a great job with limited funds. I can see something of a parallel there. Think handling bigger expectations was also too much for him.

Sad to see him go but there's no time for sentiment. It just isn't working for him at the moment, they'd be better off trying with someone else, unfortunately.

This is true.

And everyone going about the romance of the story need to realise that was last season. The romance is well over going by the performances of this year and the Leicester owners don't have a responsibility to Ranieri and football fans around the world, they have a responsibility to the football club itself and it's future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Chelsea had great players and were failing miserably.

Leicester have very ordinary players, who are performing slightly below their actual level currently.

Big, big difference.

I wouldn't describe how they played last season as ordinary in fairness.

Kante of course is a massive loss but the Mahrez and Vardy were top notch last season.

I don't think they should be in the position they are in and something had to change and quite often in football that's the manager, especially when you look at the money Ranieri spent in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The players who voiced this should be made known. They're entitled to voice their concerns about what was happening but they should be man enough to stand over their opinion and the scrutiny of it instead of cowering in privacy and letting the owners take all the public punishment

Very good point, imo.

His final season at Chelsea was the one when Abramovich took over and all of a sudden it was like he was playing real-life FM. He spent tonnes but got some very erratic performances. Had Chelsea top at Christmas but really stuttered in the second half of the season and lost out to Arsenal.

Previously, he'd done a great job with limited funds. I can see something of a parallel there. Think handling bigger expectations was also too much for him.

Sad to see him go but there's no time for sentiment. It just isn't working for him at the moment, they'd be better off trying with someone else, unfortunately.

His stint at Chelsea is what i thought of myself. And people were outraged back then.

If Ranieri was an up and coming manager, say an Eddie Howe type, who took over Leicester and did what he did, then there'd absolutely be an arguement for keeping him on.

But Ranieri?? How can anybody say Leicester will progress under him. They just wouldn't.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Chicken Burgers. Sacked partly because he got the chicken burgers taken off the diet plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

yes Claudio has blame for the season but to me most of the blame goes to the players some of them just look like they havent cared from the 1st game of the season

The fact that they have got rid of him suggests to me that they actually do care.Not caring would be standing idly by and letting the team get relegated.

They were doing that in their performances on the pitch.

A manager on his own cannot have that much of an effect on performance. Kanté, as big a loss as he was, couldn't cause the present malaise.

As I say, the players get away with murder in this.

He's not blameless. But players get a ridiculous amount of slack in these scenarios.

If I was shít at my job for months, I couldn't say 'well my manager has been shít'. I'd be out on my ear.

What happened to being responsible and proud of your own level of performance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He's not blameless. But players get a ridiculous amount of slack in these scenarios.

If I was shít at my job for months, I couldn't say 'well my manager has been shít'. I'd be out on my ear.

It's not exactly feasible to sack a team halfway through a season though, regardless of who's to blame.

• Advertisement

I didn't excuse Ranieri at all. I said I liked him.
    The players however have a responsibility in this too. They are mostly the same players who escaped relegation and then went on to win the league the following year.

Football isn't real life. If you slid in on someone on the street, you wouldn't be applauded or given a yellow card, you'd face a court appearance if reported.

A squad won't be sacked to stop a malaise, it'd be silly. The manager gets the boot every time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There are a few players on that team that have a bit of power. Particularly they guys that didn't move clubs during the summer that had options, and the ones who have the documentary crews following them.

Apparently they got a hold of the owners of the club after the game in Seville the other night and outlined that they wanted Ranieri gone.

These are the same players who are not performing this year either. They shifted the blame to Ranieri and th eclub reacted to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The thing is, in 10, 20, 50 and probably 100 years time, people will still talk about Leicester City winning the Premiership and the name that they'll mention in that sentence will be Claudio Ranieri's.

Less mentioned will be Vardy or Mahrez. Kante will be remebered for the player who left and drove another team to the premiership the following year. The other players will be forgotten, apart from by the faithful Leicester fans.

There's an excellent article in The Guardian that was written a couple of weeks ago saying that a relegation would only heighten the legend of winning the Premiership.

Ranieri's sacking is both crazy and understandable at the same time. It's just an extraordinarily mad time to do it; right between the two legs of the CL tie and a couple of days before Liverpool.

One thing is for sure; the players have to avoid relegation now. If they go down, the fans will blame them, not Ranieri. He'll get his statue outside the stadium and will go down there as an eternal legend. The players won't.

Lads, I'm fully aware that football isn't real life and the manager gets the boot every time, and you can't sack the team.

My point was about pride in performance. It's scandalous that the players are basically untouchable because of last season, and Ranieri is ripe for the sack.

It just doesn't sit well, and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

You can't compare football with your job though. In any normal business, the higher up the person, the more important to the business they are. That's not the case in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Crazy decision given his success and the players are not blameless but IMHO Claudio should have resigned in the Summer with his legacy intact.

Was only ever gonna be downhill this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I wonder would Bendy Wodgers take the Leicester Job .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Savman wrote: »
    Crazy decision given his success and the players are not blameless but IMHO Claudio should have resigned in the Summer with his legacy intact.

Was only ever gonna be downhill this season.

raw

He had the Chimptons League to look forward to, and in all fairness they have been brilliant in it so far. Have great chance to progress further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The players who voiced this should be made known. They're entitled to voice their concerns about what was happening but they should be man enough to stand over their opinion and the scrutiny of it instead of cowering in privacy and letting the owners take all the public punishment

Kasper S. Is one. Raneri's supposed to be a bit of a dick too away from the cameras.
    They've mentioned it months ago on football weekly. Though is no one else a bit surprised how little coverage Leicester have gotten this season given how poor they've been? plummeting to the championship & people are shocked he's gone?

On the fluke thing, there's no basis that a 38 game season is fair for all teams or that you can't luck out over 38 games.
    Saying you can't do it for a season isn't logical, why can you not?

Some academic friend of Johnathan Wilson discovered after west ham were having a poor season, they'd been playing teams who'd just come into form going by their previous 5 games, He worked out that if you had to apply that fairly for all teams it'd take 35 YEARS.

Advertisement