Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ranieri Sacked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

The caretaker saying the players didn't revolt doesn't make sense. Surely one or two of them would have taken to social media to express their shock had they not been involved.

Can't believe not one of those players has said anything about their outgoing manager on social media. Are they that cold?

Henry Winter reporting that some of the players want Nigel Pearson back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Henry Winter reporting that some of the players want Nigel Pearson back

Brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The caretaker saying the players didn't revolt doesn't make sense. Surely one or two of them would have taken to social media to express their shock had they not been involved.

Can't believe not one of those players has said anything about their outgoing manager on social media. Are they that cold?

Caretaker is probably battening down the hatches against the media and some fans. He'll get some kudos with the team for that.

Us v them mentality. Works very well if applied correctly.

SlickRic wrote: »
    He's not blameless. But players get a ridiculous amount of slack in these scenarios.

If I was shít at my job for months, I couldn't say 'well my manager has been shít'. I'd be out on my ear.

What happened to being responsible and proud of your own level of performance?

Fact of the matter is the players have a bigger sell on value and that is why the manager gets the chop. Modern day football is farcical to be honest. The Chickens from the bosman ruling are coming home to roost. While i understand the cause of Marc Bosman that time due to the shabby nature he was treated by his club, the ruling has spawned a generation of the worst type of prick and they seem to be more plentiful than ever. I would be very much in the Wenger out camp myself but i acknowledge that we have alot of these types of shíthead at Arsenal. Wengers biggest crime is his loyalty to these shítheads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

PhilipsR wrote: »
    No it's not. They were going down to the Championship. Their confidence was completely shot. This is the only chance they have in staying up.

No room for sentiment in football.

If the same ruthlessness was adopted by the likes of united back in 1989, then there would probably have been no surpassing of Liverpool with regards top flight titles or no European Cups/CLs.

Do people ever think that maybe Ranieiri had very little to do with them actually winning the league and it was just one massive freak occurence.

Nothing in his career before that suggested he was a genius manager and nothing in the players careers beforehand suggested they were top quality.The whole thing was just a pleasant accident.

You really do a have a bee in your bonnet about him.
    If he was such a shyte manager as you try portray he would never have been let near some of the top clubs.

You can accidently win a tournament, the odd major upset, but you don't really accidently win a league.
    The whole thing was a massive fluke.Everything that could have went well for them did.They were the best team but some many circumstances went in their favour last season, that allowed them to be the best team.

It was the sporting equivalent of winning the lotto.

I didn't know the one lotto win was drawn over 38 weeks, sometimes twice a week. :rolleyes:

Yes a few things like fact major usual top 4 contenders were absent fell in their favour, but his team still had to go out and do the business on the pitch week in week out.
    But these players were everything that as good about the game last year.

Maybe Ranieri isn't actually that great a manager and the players feel they have a better chance without him.The players are basically playing at their true level now after having a freakishly good season last year.

Yeah yeah we get it.
    You don't rate him.

Thing is he has a PL title on his CV and remind us again of all the other managers with that on their CV.

His name is on the same list as the likes of Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Daglish, Macini, Ancelotti, Pellegrini.

And you know the most noticable thing about that list.
    Raineri did it in on a shoestring budget in comparison to all the other guys on that list.
    And he did it with a bunch of no-hopers who were often castoffs who had bearly survived relegation the year before.

Claudio you come across as a gentleman and sadly there isn't a place for you in the modern game. :o

I am not allowed discuss …

Cant believe this utterly stupid film was conceived in the first place and even more bizarrely they are going ahead with it. :rolleyes:

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/jamie-vardy-film-will-still-go-ahead-despite-claudio-ranieri-s-sacking/story-30160768-detail/story.html

Vardy like some of his fellow English players is an absolute fraud. His lookalike would have probably scored more this season than him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If the players do want Pearson back, as is rumoured, then they deserve relegation and more.

The class comparison between Ranieri and him is a fúcking chasm.

If the players do want Pearson back, as is rumoured, then they deserve relegation and more.

The class comparison between Ranieri and him is a fúcking chasm.

Actually Pearson can be a pratt and I am not sure about his handling of the behaviour of the players while on tour, but going by the results he pulled off towards the end of that season one could argue he was unfairly shafted out as well.
    He had won the Championship bringing them up to PL and had pulled off a miracle as regards survival.

And when you look at his relationship with the club more closely you find that he was shafted earlier when the club brought in Paulo Sousa even though he had them at championship playoffs and they lost on penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Jose-Mourinho.jpg

Mourinho wore CR on his shirt today at his press conference in a tribute to Ranieri, who like Gundogan is thankfully not dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

They were doing that in their performances on the pitch.

A manager on his own cannot have that much of an effect on performance. Kanté, as big a loss as he was, couldn't cause the present malaise.

As I say, the players get away with murder in this.

Fair enough, then Ranieri got too much credit for last year and doesn't deserve the sympathy he is getting currently.

You can't have it both ways.

He clearly hasn't done a good job this season.Professional sport is all about what have you done for me lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

ERG89 wrote: »
    Jose-Mourinho.jpg

Mourinho wore CR on his shirt today at his press conference in a tribute to Ranieri, who like Gundogan is thankfully not dead.

Certainly better than how he's treated him in the past :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Statement from Claudio Ranieri
    "After the euphoria of last season and being crowned champions, all I dreamt of was staying with Leicester. Sadly this was not to be," Ranieri said.

"The adventure was amazing and will live with me forever. My heartfelt thanks to everybody at the club, everybody who was part of what we achieved, but mostly to the supporters.

"You took me into your hearts from day one and loved me. I love you too.

"No-one can ever take away what we achieved together and I hope you think about it and smile every day the way I always will.

"It was a time of wonderfulness and happiness that I will never forget. It's been a pleasure and an honour to be a champion with all of you."

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Lukker- wrote: »
    Statement from Claudio Ranieri

Class, as always

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

To be honest I think if Ranieri has been bad at anything this season it's been TOO loyal to the players from last year. Players like Morgan and Huth, with their age, should have fierce competition for their places this season to build on success but they've unfortunately been let play like they are still drunk from last season's celebrations. Average players like Simpson have defaulted back and added to the really poor defence this season. I feel sorry for Ranieri though, and I can't help but feel that the players really, really let him down, and this is not including any rumoured mutiny from them. If that's true then it's truly shocking.

The way things are going in modern football f a manager is sacked after 2 or 3 games, there will be a defence of that sacking from someone. Leicester have been quite poor this season but I think it's pretty clear to see that the players have to accept a big responsibility for this, especially because last season becomes a comparison for all, not only the manager. The board also haven't seemed to have backed him in the summer either when higher quality was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Absolute class from the man as he has always shown, i really hope Leiecster get relegated this season and Seville batter them in the 2nd leg, this is the problem when you have owners who know nothing about the actual sport, they probably expected them to challenge again this season, reality is Leicester bar one amazing season are a lower level PL team who are expected to be fighting to stay up almost every year, Claudio was the manager of the single greatest upset in the sports history doing something that will be talked about in 100 years.

the reality is the team is full of bang average players, they lost their best player in the Summer in Kante, Vardy was a one season wonder nothing more, there's a reason he used play non League, Mahrez is like Payet one great season and now nothing. Hopefully Lecister go down one things for sure the fans will not be nearly as patient now that Ranieri is gone, if they get KO of the CL and they don't start turning it around in the PL the fans will really turn on them imo. Hopefully they go down football really is a rotten business at times, zero loyalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Absolute class from the man as he has always shown, i really hope Leiecster get relegated this season and Seville batter them in the 2nd leg, this is the problem when you have owners who know nothing about the actual sport, they probably expected them to challenge again this season, reality is Leicester bar one amazing season are a lower level PL team who are expected to be fighting to stay up almost every year, Claudio was the manager of the single greatest upset in the sports history doing something that will be talked about in 100 years.

Hopefully Lecister go down one things for sure the fans will not be nearly as patient now that Ranieri is gone, if they get KO of the CL and they don't start turning it around in the PL the fans will really turn on them imo. Hopefully they go down football really is a rotten business at times, zero loyalty.

No, this is the problem when you have sentimental football fans that don't understand the reality of a situation when a club, with large premier league wage bills like Leicester get relegated. Let your emotions sink into it but in the long run the Board have done the club more of a favour than themselves. I imagine a lot of the new contracts did not have relegation clauses inserted either.

And the hardcore fans have been calling for Ranieri to take his leave, some since November. The misconceived POV that Lineker is providing is not the same as most fans, in fact the opposite in most cases. These are fans that know the club inside out and live and breed and attend the games, not us who tune into MOTD and read the papers.

It is horribly sad ending but so much has to be considered here. The fans loved Pearson also, remember, (indeed for a lot of hardcore fans he is more a legend than Ranieri) and he, himself had done great things and, indeed, built the squad that won the league himself. But things were starting to hit the fan, like right now and the Board were praised for their courage in getting rid of him against some fans disapproval to dig them out of relegation "certainty".

I also seem to remember many many media outlets taking the mick when they first signed Claudio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Curse those sentimental football fans, they are what is wrong with the game today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I really thought they would have let him at least see out the CL Campaign.

What chance that had in that they have little left now.

• Advertisement

Curse those sentimental football fans, they are what is wrong with the game today.

I don't know if that's being sarcastic and if so, that isn't what I am saying. There is a fine line between sentimentality and the reason the Leicester Board feel they need to SAVE THE CLUB from relegation. They helped pull it off before by sacking a club legend in Pearson and signing a manager who was ridiculed in the media for years.
    It was a bit of a genious move by them initially, no? Doesn't the Board deserve some respect for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

A wise decision from the board.

Id have serious questions about how much he himself had to with them winning the league last season, a huge chunk of luck along with the big boys misfiring all accumulated in one of the biggest freak occurrences the modern game has ever seen.

Dont get me wrong he seems a nice fella and all but there can be no room for sentiment in football.

Sentiment gets you Liverpool and they're nothing to ever aspire to.

A wise decision from the board.

Id have serious questions about how much he himself had to with them winning the league last season, a huge chunk of luck along with the big boys misfiring all accumulated in one of the biggest freak occurrences the modern game has ever seen.

Dont get me wrong he seems a nice fella and all but there can be no room for sentiment in football.

So a team favoured for relegation goes on to win the league and next season when they revert to form you fire the manager even though he also got them through to the knock out stage of the champions league after securing a decent result away to sevilla.

Whatever about the firing the timing is just of the charts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Thought I would throw in an experience from last October. I flew from Dublin to Gran Canaria via East Midlands. On the flight out of East Midlands, I was beside a couple around the 60ish mark, chatting to them a while and I asked where abouts they were from and they said Leicester. I said to them "Ye hardly follow Leicester City by any chance?".... she looked at him with a smile and could see his eyes starting to throw out a tear or two. His reply was, "am a season ticket holder for 18 years and the wife 11 years"....Told him, its great to meet a genuine fan from the club, to hear what kind of roller coaster yez were on, on the way to winning the premiership..

He said, they always thought it was gonna collapse at some time and even now that they did it, it still hasn't sank in properly, were in the Champions League now and on as you put it, another roller coaster..
    Of Ranieri, said a statue should be put up outside ground of him, he will be a God in Leicester for ever.

This was the quickest 3 hour flight i was ever on, just listening to him on about that one season.

I just wish we had exchanged phone numbers at the time to hear his views on what has happened there now.

Personally, I think it's a harsh call sacking him, unfortunately, it's all about money now and sentiments do not come into it but the money he took into the club via Champ League I thought they should give him the chance til end of the season(but suppose if players want you out, tough call for the board)

PS, we both agreed that Kante was a massive loss and not realised til the season got underway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I don't know if that's being sarcastic and if so, that isn't what I am saying. There is a fine line between sentimentality and the reason the Leicester Board feel they need to SAVE THE CLUB from relegation. They helped pull it off before by sacking a club legend in Pearson and signing a manager who was ridiculed in the media for years.
    It was a bit of a genious move by them initially, no? Doesn't the Board deserve some respect for that?

I suppose you could say that was an inspired move to sack Pearson and bring in Ranieri. However, I'm not too sure if the policy of sacking successful managers who hit a rough patch is necessarily good in the long term. Eventually they'll pay the price for instability. Eventually they'll pick the wrong manager.

The players haven't performed this season. Certainly you have to put some blame on the manager but the board has basically given power of the club to the players.

No visionary coach will want to go to a club like that. I honestly think whoever takes that job now will be a villain. That's probably why Mancini wouldn't take it. It'll be hard to find a respectable person to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If they won CL, would Ranieri get a medal?

The manager picks the players...............his loyalty to a certain few and his transfers have been a certain factor to his downfall.

I urge anyone with more than just the "headline grabbing" interest in Ranieri's demise and Leicester's mental few years in general to delve into this forum board.

Some fascinating insight from people a lot closer to the club, the proper fans, local boys, season ticket holders, club insiders which may make you think beyond the romance, the tragedy and sentimental aspects of the last few days. (and years!)

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/forum/1-leicester-city-forum/

The manager picks the players...............his loyalty to a certain few and his transfers have been a certain factor to his downfall.

I urge anyone with more than just the "headline grabbing" interest in Ranieri's demise and Leicester's mental few years in general to delve into this forum board.

Some fascinating insight from people a lot closer to the club, the proper fans, local boys, season ticket holders, club insiders which may make you think beyond the romance, the tragedy and sentimental aspects of the last few days. (and years!)

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/forum/1-leicester-city-forum/

They seem an awful lot more realistic than people on here are being.

No, this is the problem when you have sentimental football fans that don't understand the reality of a situation when a club, with large premier league wage bills like Leicester get relegated. Let your emotions sink into it but in the long run the Board have done the club more of a favour than themselves. I imagine a lot of the new contracts did not have relegation clauses inserted either.

And the hardcore fans have been calling for Ranieri to take his leave, some since November. The misconceived POV that Lineker is providing is not the same as most fans, in fact the opposite in most cases. These are fans that know the club inside out and live and breed and attend the games, not us who tune into MOTD and read the papers.

It is horribly sad ending but so much has to be considered here. The fans loved Pearson also, remember, (indeed for a lot of hardcore fans he is more a legend than Ranieri) and he, himself had done great things and, indeed, built the squad that won the league himself. But things were starting to hit the fan, like right now and the Board were praised for their courage in getting rid of him against some fans disapproval to dig them out of relegation "certainty".

Much and all as you have a pop at sentimental fans, football clubs would be nothing without them,
    Ask yourself this what would happen to most clubs without sentimental fans.

What happens to the likes of the Leeds, the Blackburns, the Wolves, the Ipswichs, etc, etc of this world when they leave the top flight if they don't have bloody sentimental fans ?
    Should everyone throw sentiment aside and just become fans of the latest flavour of the month.
    Shure who would want to be a fan of a team that never wins anything or are never in champion league contention.
    Yippe lets all climb onboard the Pep bandwagon.

We know now that TV rights give huge chunk of the money to clubs and mass marketing of the game in Europe around the world.

Some now think they no longer need actual fans that go to games.
    Look at that spanner in Cardiff who decided screw the fans I am changing the club colours just because it is fecking favourite or the favourite lucky one of his home country.
    Look how the owners of Hull wanted to change the name to suit maketing, most likely in Far East.

BTw I still consider Ireland playing in Lansdowne Road today and not some fecking stadium named after a bunch of feckers that screw us for insurance.

And lack of sentiment gets you half empty stadiums when results drop and owners chose to screw the real fans.

Yes one has to be realist, but there has to be some loyalty especially from the very clubs who would not survive without very loyal fans who stick with them through thick and mostly thin.
    It is ok for the Real Madrids, the Chelseas of this world because they are so accustomed to sucess, their fans expect it every other year now.
    I never consider the fans of the big successful clubs as committed as those of the clubs that have never much of a hope.
    You have to be committed, some would often say deluded, a bit stupid and a glutten for punishment and disappointment, to continue to give your time and more importantly your money to a club that really has shag all chance of ever winning anything.
    Without these tribal sentimentalists football would not exist.
    All you would have is a European super league.

• Advertisement

There is nothing wrong with being sentimental.

There is a problem with being overly sentimental to the point where you ignore reality.

That link of the Leicester fans forum is revealing because they seem to be far more realistic in their view of the situation than people who don't support the club are.

Truth is everyone fell for the Leicester story as the little team who could and they don't like the idea that they effectively are the same as most other clubs just not quite as big they are no different than Man Utd ,Liverpool,Chelsea,Arsenal etc in their approach and it ruins the wholesomeness of everything when a bit of reality shines through.

Noone is saying to throw sentiment out the window, there has to be a sensible balance of romanticism and fan power and financial awareness. Otherwise your club will go bust and what will happen then?

Trying to put words in people's mouth re ignoring sentimentality to bolster your point is silly.

Big difference between the idiot!c decision of Cardiff's owners and Leicester's owners acknowledging the fact that if they persisted with Ranieri, they have a very big chance of going down.

The club would incur huge difficulties then and it could be years possibly before they got promoted again, given the contracts some of their players are now on.

So, honestly, what would you have done? Ranieri was makin some awful decisions this season and the use of "Vardy tactics" are null and void at this stage but he kept persisting with them. He was persisting with the 2 lads at the back whose confidence was screwed, playing Mussa who was tripe most of the time, treated Ulloa like cr!p.

So, seriously, what would you want if you were a Leicester fan. Just think of the consequences of going down (wherein he would probably have been sacked anyway, no?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Awful decision, at the very, very least in terms of timing. They have two home games against an out of sorts Liverpool and Hull which where 4 points is not entirely out of the question, before the CL game with Sevilla. Sacking him when just a 1-0 home win would be enough to get them into the CL quarter finals (and their approach has been very effective in Europe) is nuts. If they had lost the first leg 3-0 or whatnot and it was looking entirely out of the question for them to go through, I would consider it harsh and knee jerk but at least understand where they were coming from, but this? Unless he had lost the players I just don't see the sense in that.

I suppose you could say that was an inspired move to sack Pearson and bring in Ranieri. However, I'm not too sure if the policy of sacking successful managers who hit a rough patch is necessarily good in the long term. Eventually they'll pay the price for instability. Eventually they'll pick the wrong manager.

The players haven't performed this season. Certainly you have to put some blame on the manager but the board has basically given power of the club to the players.

No visionary coach will want to go to a club like that. I honestly think whoever takes that job now will be a villain. That's probably why Mancini wouldn't take it. It'll be hard to find a respectable person to take over.

Maybe this is it, maybe Ranieri is too nice, too loyal, too emotionally driven to be in a situation like this. He had nothing to lose when he first took the Leicester job and then in the second season, they never really hit a huge blip on course to the title that he was under pressure. Again, nothing to lose, all to win.

They were never on a freefall that Ranieri had to look at his team and say, listen, Jamie/Robert/Morgan/Danny, it;s not working, we need to change something. The team and tactics picked itself and now that they do need a different approach, Ranieri seems too timid to be scrupulous (or mkaybe not able to devise a new system) He is the complete antithesis to his "tinkerman" alias of yesteryear.

He won't be short of a job offer, no doubt, he has a good CV but he never lasts more than a few years at a club (and of course Greece) which may tell you a bit about what sort of manager he is.

Very interesting character and one of the good guys. But, perhaps, that is his inevitable downfall at clubs in the medium to long run.

Re a new manager, Pearson was a mix between tough and loyal so I wouldn't say he is a terrible choice, Mancini is cold and distant so, perhaps would suit the job well. Villa Boas? , De Boer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

The times reporting that it was Schmeichel, Vardy, Morgan and Albrighton who met with the owners to voice their displeasure.

The times reporting that it was Schmeichel, Vardy, Morgan and Albrighton who met with the owners to voice their displeasure.

All of whom seem to have an excellent attitude on the field which would suggest to me that maybe there concerns were 100% genuine.They are actually the only people who can really judge.

The common thing is to say players don't want to take responsibility and blame someone else for the teams misfortunes but what good would this actually do for the players or the team.Sometimes player power can be a good thing.

• Advertisement

All of whom seem to have an excellent attitude on the field which would suggest to me that maybe there concerns were 100% genuine.They are actually the only people who can really judge.

The common thing is to say players don't want to take responsibility and blame someone else for the teams misfortunes but what good would this actually do for the players or the team.Sometimes player power can be a good thing.

Hmm, Morgan has been all over the place and seems disinterested most games. Should have been dropped before Christmas. Most of the "spine" players seem too comfortable that they won't be dropped.

Hmm, Morgan has been all over the place and seems disinterested most games. Should have been dropped before Christmas. Most of the "spine" players seem too comfortable that they won't be dropped.

That's because he's not a very good player.If the players are not afraid of being dropped then surely that's a big sign of bad management.

That's because he's not a very good player.If the players are not afraid of being dropped then surely that's a big sign of bad management.

That's the moral of the story.

The Plot thickens:

Vardy Statement:

I must have written and deleted my words to this post a stupid amount of times! I owed Claudio to find the right and appropriate words! Claudio has and always will have my complete respect! What we achieved together and as a team was the impossible! He believed in me when many didn't and for that I owe him my eternal gratitude. There is speculation I was involved in his dismissal and this completely untrue, unfounded and is extremely hurtful! The only thing we are guilty of as a team is underachieving which we all acknowledge both in the dressing room and publicly and will do our best to rectify. I wish Claudio the very very best in whatever the future holds for him. Thank You Claudio for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

That's a very nice touch by racist yob Jamie Vardy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Ranieri will be fine. He'll be offered a job managing a decent continental side (probably Spanish or Italian) sooner rather than later. Unless he decides he wants to take some time off to spend with his money.

Leicester will get a so-so (probably English) replacement. Over the next 5 years, they'll yo-yo up and down between top of the Championship and relegation places in the Premier League. The natural order of the universe is restored.

That's a very nice touch by racist yob Jamie Vardy.

Chat Sh1t, Get Snaked

On the Leicester fans, the BBC Leicester commentator was on Off The Ball during the week and he said there was no big anti Ranieiri feeling amongst the fans, certainly he did not agree that the majority wanted him gone.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/The_Football_Show_on_Off_The_Ball/180937/Goodbye_Claudio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

In reference to players coming out to thank Ranieri publicly: Not one player said a word until they hammered for it on Soccer Saturday. As soon as they were hammered for it, they were queueing up to give him praise.

Remember their game is on Monday, so they were very likely watching the programme. I know the owners flew into the training ground to speak to the players at about 11am. Odds are they were in the training facility watching it together after the owners meeting

In reference to players coming out to thank Ranieri publicly: Not one player said a word until they hammered for it on Soccer Saturday. As soon as they were hammered for it, they were queueing up to give him praise.

Remember their game is on Monday, so they were very likely watching the programme. I know the owners flew into the training ground to speak to the players at about 11am. Odds are they were in the training facility watching it together after the owners meeting

What could they say though, what was the right way to approach these media pleasing statements? Media will twist it regardless anyway. And then if they don't speak out.........It is a difficult thing for the players to do, regardless. I am pretty sure they had pressure from the Board how to approach it all also.

It is not as straight forward as what people think it should be re these statements. There may have been private exchanges, who knows? The fact of the matter is their was player pressure involved in it all and the issue of hypocrisy becomes paramount in releasing an immediate lovey dovey statement.

It will all come flooding out soon enough anyway, these things, especially in a club that isn't that HUGE, seep out eventually.

On the Leicester fans, the BBC Leicester commentator was on Off The Ball during the week and he said there was no big anti Ranieiri feeling amongst the fans, certainly he did not agree that the majority wanted him gone.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/The_Football_Show_on_Off_The_Ball/180937/Goodbye_Claudio

Well if you gauge by the fan website which is where the hardcore fans seem to occupy, sentiment is that the majority loved him, even wanted a statue but knew he needed to go, that his approach this season and his over loyalty to certain players and failure to adapt necessary tactics was a big reason for their freefall.
    They were just at odds how to handle it. Most were hoping he would step down, some just said listen, he has to go as they knew he wouldn't abandon the post.

Of course there were a percentage that wanted to give him the opportunity that "he deserved" to fight the relegation battle but I don't agree that the majority did not want him go from all I have read and there is plenty of media articles on the subject.
    Leicester fans seem to be a very "smart type" of fan, they respected the fact that Pearson's time was up, despite him being a club legend himself, they never really got ahead of themselves last season, but, nevertheless believed that they had the tools to keep up the momentum and not implode.

They recognised at the start of this season that they more likely than not would be mid table lingerers, most definitely not challenging for the title.

They also respect their players but are not afraid, despite all they have done last season to call them out this season, even the likes of Vardy, Huth, Morgan and Mahrez.

And, of course, they were realistic about Ranieri and the sort of manager he is and the probability, as had been a common theme in his career, that they would only get a few seasons out of him. And then, inevitably, despite the sadness of it all, and the love they had for the man, they acknowledged the fact that they were on freefall and if they were to be relegated, considering the financial implications of same it could potentially be half a decade before they get up again.

I am pretty sure Ranieri will, at some point, if not already, acknowledge the implications of them going down (wherein he would probably have been fired eventually anyway?)

I think nowadays, staying in the PL is worth up to a variance of 150 million upwards for Leicester, especially considering some of the contract renewals during the Summer.

Clubs like Hull, Boro, Palace would not be hit half as hard.

Well if you gauge by the fan website which is where the hardcore fans seem to occupy, sentiment is that the majority loved him, even wanted a statue but knew he needed to go, that his approach this season and his over loyalty to certain players and failure to adapt necessary tactics was a big reason for their freefall...

Ach, I'd say with fans forums, you'd get a fair amount of the "hardcore Irish fan, watches them down in the pub at least 6 times a year" stuff.

• Wonder how the Leicester players will react tonight, if they did team up to get Ranieri the boot you would expect that with there wishes granted they should at least put in a proper performance

Ranieri getting most of the blame it seems where realistically it's been the sub-par performances of some of there best players who should share most of the blame IMO

Well if you gauge by the fan website which is where the hardcore fans seem to occupy, sentiment is that the majority loved him, even wanted a statue but knew he needed to go, that his approach this season and his over loyalty to certain players and failure to adapt necessary tactics was a big reason for their freefall...

Ach, I'd say with fans forums, you'd get a fair amount of the "hardcore Irish fan, watches them down in the pub at least 6 times a year" stuff.

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Wonder how the Leicester players will react tonight, if they did team up to get Ranieri the boot you would expect that with there wishes granted they should at least put in a proper performance

Ranieri getting most of the blame it seems where realistically it's been the sub-par performances of some of there best players who should share most of the blame IMO

Exactly, personally its bewildering. How can anyone blame a manager for the performances when hes picking a similar team and deploying a similar tactic.
    From what I can see on the pitch the players just look disinterested. If that's the case then they're a disgrace. People can argue the top 6 are much more equipped this time round, I don't buy that. Leicsters performances in the champions league have been a world apart from the premiership. It's almost like the premier league doesn't matter to them. And even if the top6 are better this year, the 11 other teams and 22 games leicster partake in are up for grabs.

What it does show however is that top managers who instill that hunger for success in players even after they've achieved it is a rare thing.

It will be a very interesting game tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement