Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ranieri Sacked

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It's very different with us Fans living on the other side of the water to determine how "hardcore" (excuse that word, just using it for the sake of it) fans from local area are, especially a club like Leicester whose main fan Base would be very local and have inside knowledge of the club.

To a smaller extent compare your county GAA over here or even provincial rugby. So I would envisage these fans would, for the majority, have closer ties to the club than your "watch down the pub 6 times a year" perception.

Legend!

Probably too nice for modern day football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

M!Ck^ wrote: »

An absolute class act, players should hang their heads in shame if they didn't play for him.

Fk off Lineker. Go back to your crisps.

People here seem to know Ranieri personally judging by the constant comments on him being a class act but in reality nobody knows him just the image he has cultivated for the public.

Ah, stop. People are just giving their opinion based on the evidence. There is plenty of evidence from his career and how he presents himself to take solace in the fact he seems like one of the good guys in the game and a multitude of players he has managed have given credence to that so " a cultivated public image" is different in that respect. Even some of these guys who are denying being the "player power" group are speaking out and paying homage to him over the last few days.

Just because (if) they didn't feel he was taking the club in the right direction (which he seems not to have been) doesn't mean they are questioning him as a guy.

I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Ah, stop. People are just giving their opinion based on the evidence. There is plenty of evidence from his career and how he presents himself to take solace in the fact he seems like one of the good guys in the game and a multitude of players he has managed have given credence to that so " a cultivated public image" is different in that respect. Even some of these guys who are denying being the "player power" group are speaking out and paying homage to him over the last few days.

Just because (if) they didn't feel he was taking the club in the right direction (which he seems not to have been) doesn't mean they are questioning him as a guy.

I

Fair enough I'm being a bit harsh but the players rebelling against him despite them doing so well last season must indicate that something was seriously wrong this season.

Fair enough I'm being a bit harsh but the players rebelling against him despite them doing so well last season must indicate that something was seriously wrong this season.

But it was. The amount of homework that was done on Leicester by other teams must have been high this summer. Yet Ranieri has persisted with the same tired tactics and same team structure (after some very poor signings).

Not saying the players are right to rebel but you can see why they might. A lot of these guys are very limited (in relation to what league championship winners should be) so that combined with a hangover from last year combined with a downspiral, confidence being blighted and of course a new sense of ego will inevitably lead to some sort of disfunction within the squad and Ranieri was an easy blame guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

What a fluke result. Pure luck. It's all because Liverpool(a top team) collapsed.

The new manager effect at work again.

You got stats to back that up sir?

But I just think it was pure luck, exactly like every one of leicesters victories last season

enzo roco wrote: »

But I just think it was pure luck, exactly like every one of leicesters victories last season

It curious how often getting a new manager in gives a team a temporary shot in the arm.It saved Sunderland about 5 years in a row.

enzo roco wrote: »

You sound like you really know your stuff buddy. Enlighten us more.

No, don't bother.

You sound like you really know your stuff buddy. Enlighten us more.

No, don't bother.

Sarcasm bud. I'm guessing you didn't read the thread.

• Advertisement

I've read and contributed very much to the thread! Ps I'm not sure you mean you are being sarcastic or acknowledging my very obvious sarcasm!

I'd like to presume it's the former as I doubt anyone who watched Leicester last season would say their win was "flukey"! And I assume you don't either!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, so I'm not sure if I believe it.

Would be class if true though.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/comment-rip-football-outrage-at-ranieri-sack-way-out-of-line-35494747.html

Comment: RIP football? Outrage at Ranieri sack way out of line
    Leicester were patronised in winning the title - but it's ridiculous to suggest sacking manager is a death-knell for the game

Sam Wallace

If you missed the online bookmakers' stunt involving a hearse and a flower arrangement that read "RIP football" at the King Power Stadium on Monday night then you were not alone - were the Gambling Commission also to regulate lame ideas, it would have earned an immediate charge.

Best not to go through the excruciating detail, other than to say that it was supposed to signify what Claudio Ranieri's sacking meant for the soul of the game, because when people look for answers to the big questions of the age, obviously online bookmakers tend to be the first port of call.
    The response was so underwhelming, even the bookies in question, a publicity-ravenous operation, quietly dropped the whole thing.

Not for the first time, the mood of football fans was called wrong, and the true answers were to be found by watching the reaction of the Leicester City fans who attended the match.
    There was no mass outpouring of rage at Ranieri's sacking, rather it was heartfelt thanks for what had been achieved, expressed most notably in the 65th minute when the mobile phone lights were turned on and his song was sung.

There was a march to celebrate Ranieri's achievements, the occasional homemade A3 message and someone reworked their bedsheet banner to read "Dilly ding, dilly wrong", but no one called for the removal of the owners, the Srivaddhanaprabha family, or proclaimed the end of football as we know it.

One week on from the sacking of the manager who steered Leicester to the title and the outrage has largely come from outside the club.

It has come from those who believe that Leicester's Thai owners should be so eternally grateful for the 2015-16 season that their manager should have stayed indefinitely.

Leicester were patronised to death in winning the title and now again in losing it.

Over and again, we have been told that Ranieri "deserved the chance" to stay at Leicester, although four of the five managers who won the six previous Premier League titles have also been sacked or replaced.
    It is an interesting question. How low does a title-winning manager deserve to take a team in the following seasons before that nebulous quota of goodwill is extinguished and someone is compelled to say, "Sorry Claudio mate, but we're out of contention for the Vanarama play-offs, I think it is time to make a change"?

On BBC Five Live's 606 show, Robbie Savage told a Leicester fan who called in to support the owner, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, that as a player he would have accepted "eight or nine years" in the Championship and "the odd season" in the Premier League in return for that one title.

If you go back 20 years, including 1996-97, Leicester have spent 10 seasons in the Premier League, 10 in the Championship and one in League One in 2008-09. Even so, it goes without saying: exactly from whom is this trade-off available? Because you would be pretty sure that Ipswich Town, among others, would be eager to sign up.

It also begs another question: why should Leicester not have ambition? It is the case that, having had their season in the sun, they simply must go away and bother no one again, or accept a Blackburn Rovers-style decline.
    Leicester never expected to be champions but, having won the title, they are entitled to protect their status, even if it means sacking a decent, likeable man.

The notion that Leicester are nonentities who should simply be grateful is somewhat undermined by their place in the trophy roll call of recent years.
    If one goes back to 1997, taking into account the three domestic trophies won in that year, and every year since then, the picture is striking.

From the 1996-97 season, Manchester United have won the most with a combined total of 17 Premier League titles, FA Cups and League Cups. Next come Chelsea (14), Arsenal (9), Manchester City and Liverpool (5) and, in sixth place, are Leicester with three.

Historically, they are ahead of clubs such as Tottenham, on two trophies since 1996-97, and Swansea City, Middlesbrough, Blackburn, Birmingham City, Portsmouth and Wigan Athletic, all on one.
    It should be said as politely as possible that the likes of Everton, West Ham, Southampton, Stoke City, Sunderland, Newcastle United, Aston Villa, West Bromwich Albion - we could go on here - have won none at all in those 21 years.

There is no Leicester fans' song for Srivaddhanaprabha, the joke being that they keep running out of syllables, but perhaps there should be.

It is he who spent around £120m on the club. He also pledged £2m towards building a children's hospital in the city. He gave £100,000 to the fund to rebury Richard III and £23,000 to a fan who was raising money for research into his son's rare genetic disorder.
    For a billionaire who commutes in a helicopter, perhaps it is not such big a deal, but it has been remembered, which is why the notion of hounding him out is considered utterly ludicrous.

The League Managers Association chief executive, Richard Bevan, said that Srivaddhanaprabha's decision to sack Ranieri had "undermined the profession", so it will be interesting to hear from all those managers who refuse to work for Leicester on a point of principle.

As things stand, Roy Hodgson looks a good bet - and he was de facto LMA president for the four years he was England manager.
    It is notable that Leicester's most famous fan, Gary Lineker, described the decision more in terms of the sadness it evoked rather than a sense of injustice. He did say, though, that Leicester should be building statues to Ranieri rather than sacking him and, of course, the generous Thai owners may yet do that.

In the meantime, there are two crowd-funded appeals for Ranieri statues that have been launched by separate groups of Leicester fans, one which quotes its project at £100,000 and the other at a cut-price £10,000.

By lunchtime yesterday, they had raised £90 and £792 respectively, which suggests there are other issues rather more pertinent to Leicester fans than big bronze statements to reassure the rest of the football world they care about Ranieri's feelings. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Telegraph.co.uk

This article is 100% spot on.

This article is 100% spot on.

Precisely, the vast amount of true LFC supporters knew and accepted that Ranieri needed to go? Why? Not out of disrespect for the man? But fear for the future of the club. They knew the financial implications of going down and just how this could impact on them being promoted (supposing they were relegated)

The patronising comments sums it up also. The media were telling us what we wanted to hear, the big bad foreigners and the ruthless, disrespectful money grabbing players seeking to throw all the blame on Ranieri and save their own skin.

I am glad the media have quietened down on this because it would be more "RIP Football" if you risked your clubs future just to keep the media happy.

I am pretty sure Ranieri knew his time was up also. He has been in this situation many time in his managerial career (obviously to a less complicated extent..ie the miracle of 2015/2016) and I think his credibility would have been damaged more had they kept him and they got relegated.

Precisely, the vast amount of true LFC supporters knew and accepted that Ranieri needed to go? Why? Not out of disrespect for the man? But fear for the future of the club. They knew the financial implications of going down and just how this could impact on them being promoted (supposing they were relegated)

The patronising comments sums it up also. The media were telling us what we wanted to hear, the big bad foreigners and the ruthless, disrespectful money grabbing players seeking to throw all the blame on Ranieri and save their own skin.

I am glad the media have quietened down on this because it would be more "RIP Football" if you risked your clubs future just to keep the media happy.

I am pretty sure Ranieri knew his time was up also. He has been in this situation many time in his managerial career (obviously to a less complicated extent..ie the miracle of 2015/2016) and I think his credibility would have been damaged more had they kept him and they got relegated.

He has been done a massive favour by being sacked.His last result as manager was a result that left them only 1 goal from the champions league quarter finals, he's been spared the potential indignity of being relegated and he can go out on a high as an all time legend .He should be thanking his lucky stars he was sacked now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

He has been done a massive favour by being sacked.His last result as manager was a result that left them only 1 goal from the champions league quarter finals, he's been spared the potential indignity of being relegated and he can go out on a high as an all time legend .He should be thanking his lucky stars he was sacked now.
    This makes zero sense. Why would he be thanking his lucky stars?.

It makes perfect sense you obviously did you not read what I said.He gets to go out on a high instead of potentially being the manager that took them down (there was a good chance that would happen) he's been potentially spared that personal embarrassment and his reputation doesn't take a hit because of that.He leaves after securing a really good result in Europe also.He gets a big financial payoff and his reputation is 100% in tact now.He has really lost nothing by getting sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

It makes perfect sense you obviously did you not read what I said.He gets to go out on a high instead of potentially being the manager that took them down (there was a good chance that would happen) he's been potentially spared that personal embarrassment and his reputation doesn't take a hit because of that.He leaves after securing a really good result in Europe also.He gets a big financial payoff and his reputation is 100% in tact now.He has really lost nothing by getting sacked.

How do you know for sure they would have got relegated?

I still don't understand why a manager would like to be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The club made a decision for the club, I don't particularly have too much problem with that except maybe the fact they didn't seem to back him big enough in the summer. The players themselves I certainly would have a problem with. The biggest mistake Ranieri made was being too loyal to players from last year, just like the club have been, he should have been ruthless with severe under performers like Huth, Morgan, Simpson etc. But instead he stuck with them even when they were playing atrocious, you really would never think they were the title winning centre back partnership of last season that's for sure. All this talk of Ranieri being a 'different' person behind the scenes etc, what was he last season? a completely different person? I find that extremely hard to believe, and not a good enough excuse if some players are using it as. They've completely let him down this season to be honest and hard to feel sorry for them if they do go down, regardless of who was the manager.

How do you know for sure they would have got relegated?

I still don't understand why a manager would like to be sacked.

He's been spared a potential embarassment. They were in free fall and although no-one can be sure that they would have gone down to be spared that indignity must take a weight off his shoulders and if they do go down the line will always be if Ranieri was still there they'd have been OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

He just said why. LCFC were on course for relegation. If Ranieri could have sorted things out, he didn't demonstrate it in the previous 24-25 games.

He got to go out as the media sweetheart, a fallen hero, with everyone shedding tears. Rather than ending up as the answer to a trivia question being a manager who wins a PL in one season and gets relegated the next.

I find it bizarre tbh the arbitrary views people take. If you had a goalkeeper who one season played so well he never conceded a single goal making miracle save after miracle save, people would hail it as an unbelievable achievement.

If he conceded 6 goals every game in his first 25 games of the next season, no one would be surprised that he was dropped. Football is tough - you get zero points for what you did last season. Ranieri's achievement in getting LCFC to win the PL is absolutely remarkable. But Fergusons achievement in winning it 13 times over 27 years is vastly greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Vindicated within 3 weeks.

I know modern football is ****ty but there just isn't any place for loyalty to managers any more when there's absolutely no signs of turning things around.

6 points and a CL QF in their first 3 games since. Judging by their remaining league games, there's at least 3 more wins there which should be enough with a couple of draws.

If Ranieri stays, they're probably out of the CL with a whimper tonight and in the relegation zone of the PL! Football is a fickle game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Leicester were performing brilliantly in the Champions League under Ranieri. There is no reason to believe he wouldn't have gotten a similar result tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Leicester were performing brilliantly in the Champions League under Ranieri. There is no reason to believe he wouldn't have gotten a similar result tonight.

Their performance three weeks ago would suggest otherwise. They were woeful compared to their standard before Christmas in the groups. They really shouldn't have been in with a chance tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

PhilipsR wrote:
    Their performance three weeks ago would suggest otherwise. They were woeful compared to their standard before Christmas in the groups. They really shouldn't have been in with a chance tonight.

Results win games, not performances. They went to Sevilla who are third in La Liga and came out with an away goal and a 1 goal deficit which was universally lauded as a good result. Real Madrid also lost 2-1 there after half a bajillion games undefeated.

Whether they shouldn't have been in with a chance or not is relevant. They were in with a chance because of what Ranieri achieved in the first leg.

And I say this as someone who does not defend Ranieri, I fully understand why he was sacked.

• Advertisement

Interesting...................Ranieri is scheduled to appear on Sky Sports as a pundit in a few weeks for Arsenal/Palace game where he has said he will speak openly about everything and until then he is keeping quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Probably not in his best interests to do that, but I'm sure it will make for popular TV all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Interesting...................Ranieri is scheduled to appear on Sky Sports as a pundit in a few weeks for Arsenal/Palace game where he has said he will speak openly about everything and until then he is keeping quiet.

It's Sky advertising that fact not Ranieri. He'll probably say he prefers coleslaw to mayo on his chips.

It's Sky advertising that fact not Ranieri. He'll probably say he prefers coleslaw to mayo on his chips.

He said it himself, his quotes (well attributed to him, I am not that naive). He was speaking to an Italian paper. I doubt it will be over revealing but it will give a better first hand insight than all the tabloid speculation we have been tortured with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I'm sure Leicester would've put some gagging order on him too. If not they were very naive.
    The fact they started playing as soon as he left will stick in his graw so that might be in play too. I hope he doesn't, it'll kind of ruin his legacy in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm sure Leicester would've put some gagging order on him too. If not they were very naive.
    The fact they started playing as soon as he left will stick in his graw so that might be in play too. I hope he doesn't, it'll kind of ruin his legacy in the PL.
    To be honest, with them terminating his contract, hard to imagine the balance of power was on their side in terms of negotiations.

Advertisement