Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fertiliser spreader Gearbox for 5.5 hp engine

Options
  • 23-02-2017 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for a gearbox for a 5.5 hp engine so I can use my vicin shaker on the back of the quad cheers.

Screenshot_20170223-095917_zpsdjrxhhhz.png

Screenshot_20170223-095923_zpsjed8qlfm.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cuff92

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

What speed does that engine run at? Could you adapt a box from a scrapped quad?

I don't no really? I'd imagine ud still have to set the speed to 540?

Most of those engines run at a set speed. A Google seems to suggest many of those Hondas are 3600 rpm.
    Do you run a Vicon at 540?
    If so, you need roughly a7:1 reduction.

Ideally you would need to get a handheld rev counter that reads a rotating shaft, to try out various gearboxes, or investigate some engineering suppliers like these crowd.
    https://catalog.nordex.com/speed-reducers

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

I started to make one of these and way I was going to do it was a centrifugal clutch same as a chainsaw driving belts. Use pulling sizing to get your gearing. As you will never start the engine with a direct link. Still have the clutch in workshop if your interested

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Most of those engines run at a set speed. A Google seems to suggest many of those Hondas are 3600 rpm.
    Do you run a Vicon at 540?
    If so, you need roughly a7:1 reduction.

Ideally you would need to get a handheld rev counter that reads a rotating shaft, to try out various gearboxes, or investigate some engineering suppliers like these crowd.
    https://catalog.nordex.com/speed-reducers

Spent a good while on the net and cant seem to find any help there.
    But yeah that looks along the lines

st1979 wrote: »
    I started to make one of these and way I was going to do it was a centrifugal clutch same as a chainsaw driving belts. Use pulling sizing to get your gearing. As you will never start the engine with a direct link. Still have the clutch in workshop if your interested

How did it work out.? Was the shaker running at the right speed.?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

cuff92 wrote:
    How did it work out.? Was the shaker running at the right speed.?

Never actually got that far had problems with the engine I was going to use

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The pulleys and belt off s small cement mixer maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Seems like a lot of engineering to spread 3 or 4 hundred weight of bag manure. I'm just thinking of the small quad type wheels under spreader and thinking they'd rut before them. A little 35 or similar with twins would probably do less damage but wouldn't be as fancy.

• Advertisement

The shaker with wheels under it is rose another what 20-24" ? You can't let it down (like on tractor lift arms). Do you fill off a platform or pallet on pallet forks? Maybe it just me but can't see the benefits but there must be.

Muckit wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of engineering to spread 3 or 4 hundred weight of bag manure. I'm just thinking of the small quad type wheels under spreader and thinking they'd rut before them. A little 35 or similar with twins would probably do less damage but wouldn't be as fancy.

No I've used the likes before. Doesn't leave a mark. handy on steep land. Yeah you'd want to be loading it off a trailer alright there a small bit high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

cuff92 wrote: »
    No I've used the likes before. Doesn't leave a mark. handy on steep land. Yeah you'd want to be loading it off a trailer alright there a small bit high.

I could see how twould be handy on steep land, as the ground driven ones can be tricky as you need to maintain the speed to get the spreading width...

You'd cover quare steep land on a 135 with duals as well like Mickey said, but would the quad and spinner on wheels be less inclined to slip on very high fields?

You could probably have this home for 700 Euro. (Or offer 375 and see if he bites)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICON-602-FERT-SPREADER-ON-LOGIC-QUAD-BIKE-CHASSI-HONDA-ENGINE-SPARES-REPAIR-/391709159580?hash=item5b33af709c:g:CQYAAOSw4CFYqfm2

Sell your own spreader, and it wouldn't be too dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

I wonder does anybody sell a ground drive kit for quad attachments.

Logic sell these type of spreaders from new so I'll get onto there dealer here and see how much for a price..

Be interesting to see price. Would €2,500 buy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

I have a feeling there are people in the US building bogeys with small engines and PTO to take tractor implements with horse teams.

Some communities of Amish use them, in fact I think they may be designed or made there.

Quad is not so different when you think about it - except that you can't eat it in a bind.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jjjjjjjk

Does anyone know

Can anyone help me track Down Or know anywhere to get this coupler between the Vicon spreader and engine .

Advertisement