Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can be done to make roads safer for motorcyclists?

• 23-02-2017 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

There's so much media attention towards making roads "safer" for pedal cyclists and local authorities pander to their whining. However, you see very little things done for motorcyclists.

I'm not a motorcyclists myself btw.

For a start, I bought little blindspot mirrors from Halfords, they only cost 10 quid, but give me infinitely more vision, drivers of cars should do a "lifesaver" glance too, just check your damned blindspot. The amount of times I saw cars veering out on motorbikes that were overtaking is staggering, and it's horrific to watch, can't imagine how bad it is for the motorbiker. These little mirrors only cost 10 quid, but if they help me see a biker in my blindspot, then it's well worth it. Everyone driving a car should have them.

Let motorcyclists use bus lanes! I can never understand why motorcyclists can't use them and pedal cyclists can. Motorcyclists make up such a small minority on the road and they pollute less and take up much less space. Arguments that they will "jam up" the bus lane is bollocks, if that is the case, then pedal cyclists are blocking it too.

Letting motorcyclists use the bus lanes too will give them a safer space from car drivers.

Man hole covers desperately need looking at, some of them are slippery when walking crossing the road, I can't imagine how lethal they can be when driving two wheels at 50+km/h.

Remove vat from PPE for bikers, high cost might discourage replenishing them.

Run ad campaigns to let people know how vulnerable our biking comrades are, maybe people are just ignorant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Educate car drivers.

Educate all drivers including the motorcyclists. Not just car drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Have dedicated places for motorbikes to be allowed to park.

Seen as DCC has now taken to clamping motorbikes in the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Give them a designated lane on the m50. Officially Allow them to use bus lanes, ban taxis without passengers from bus lanes. Remove all VAT on safety equipment, kids, jackets, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

This won't really make the roads safer for motorcyclists?

In terms of actual measures can that be implemented:
    Consideration of motorcyclists when designing safety barriers for high speed roads,

Textured chamber lids for utilities - even a perception of.reduced grip can cause an accident,

Better indication around bends - clearing sightlines, signing bends with tightening radii,

Allowing bikes use advanced stop lines,

Removing transverse road markings on the approach to roundabouts etc, ditto speed limit markings on the carriageway,

Maybe installing inflatable or crash friendly cushions at high incident locations?

This is the kind of thing that we need to look for. There is minimal political will though as bikes are not considered a viable, sustainable method of transport despite being more efficient than single-occupancy private cars

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote:
    Allowing bikes use advanced stop lines,

If you mean leave motorcycles use a stop line further ahead than where car stops, how do u propose they get there, if there is a row of cars in front of them? Or two.
    They would have to overtake the row or two of cars that are already stopped at the lineby overtaking into oncoming traffic, undertaking or going between the cars (if 2 lines of traffic)
    But then a lot of them do this anyway. (But I will concede not all.) Those that do need to be taught to wait in line and wait their turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Where has the clamping being going on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you mean leave motorcycles use a stop line further ahead than where car stops, how do u propose they get there, if there is a row of cars in front of them? Or two.
    They would have to overtake the row or two of cars that are already stopped at the lineby overtaking into oncoming traffic, undertaking or going between the cars (if 2 lines of traffic)
    But then a lot of them do this anyway. (But I will concede not all.) Those that do need to be taught to wait in line and wait their turn.

Filtering isn't illegal so they aren't doing anything wrong. If you have a problem report it to the Gardaí and don't be sounding like a vigilante.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Del2005 wrote: »
    Filtering isn't illegal so they aren't doing anything wrong. If you have a problem report it to the Gardaí and don't be sounding like a vigilante.

Its not illegal as long as they dont cross a solid median or use the cycle lane. Which to be honest, is pretty common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The first thing that they should do is ban surface dressing. I still can't figure out how that gets past health and safety legislation, let's throw several tonnes of loose chippings onto the road and leave it there as a death trap for 2 wheelers and impossible for wheelchair or buggies to get through.

• Advertisement

dfeo wrote: »
    Run ad campaigns to let people know how vulnerable our biking comrades are, maybe people are just ignorant too busy texting.

FYP.

Seriously, if smartphones didnt exist tomorrow all road users would be hugely safer, especially bikers, cyclists and peds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

ED E wrote: »
    Its not illegal as long as they dont cross a solid median or use the cycle lane. Which to be honest, is pretty common.

Can use cycle lanes if it's not a solid line, even if it is solid I use it anyway as they are empty almost all the time and it is much safer for me than going into the opposite direction of traffic to filter. And it's not like you are blocking anyone or preventing them from advancing.

No point to own a motorbike if you cannot filter through traffic, be it middle or wherever. If it was illegal then almost nobody would use bikes as it would be pointless.

Never heard of that but if it's true then bicycles should be clamped as well as it takes a very similar amount of space.

ED E wrote: »
    FYP.

Seriously, if smartphones didnt exist tomorrow all road users would be hugely safer, especially bikers, cyclists and peds.

You can very easily tell anyone who is on the phone as they swerve into your lane, happens weekly, just shows how common it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Johnboner wrote: »
    Can use cycle lanes if it's not a solid line, even if it is solid I use it anyway as they are empty almost all the time and it is much safer for me than going into the opposite direction of traffic to filter. And it's not like you are blocking anyone or preventing them from advancing.

I fully agree with you but Garda do not.
    And some of them enforce it.
    Talking from personal experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Make illegal any truck fuel tank filler system which can allow spillage onto the road .

Johnboner wrote: »

Instant two points if spotted in a solid.

And using a broken id have to double check but I.think you'd also be in the wrong. Dashed line allows you to cross it to enter a property or undertake, not sure if filtering up a line of traffic constitutes undertaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

More run-off on bends, airbags on walls,poles, remove other road users....pointless thread imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Jesus wept at the ignorance.

A lot of good points OP.

IMO training and education for both riders and other drivers is the best, so easy to lull yourself into a false sense of security in a metal cocoon, at the same time some proper (higher speed on the road training would benefit us greatly, I'm particularly thinking panic braking on a bike here.
    Also a little common sense with the NRA would be good too, overbanding and polished drain covers mid corner are ridiculous for all road users but potentially lethal on a bike, road furniture too is often placed in downright dumb places.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

no hidden gates into farms, no junctions which don't have a good view well up the road.

Johnboner wrote:
    No point to own a motorbike if you cannot filter through traffic, be it middle or wherever. If it was illegal then almost nobody would use bikes as it would be pointless.

Its illegal if u scratch my car, which has happened, and u drive on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Its illegal if u scratch my car, which has happened, and u drive on

No, filtering is perfectly legal, what you're describing is a collision and leaving the scene.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Your ignorance is astounding.

More run-off on bends, airbags on walls,poles, remove other road users....pointless thread imo...

So making roads safer is pointless, ok dude.

bladespin wrote:
    No, filtering is perfectly legal, what you're describing is a collision and leaving the scene.

Which wouldnt have happened if filtering wasnt allowed.

And if it wasnt allowed, how many would do it anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

But it is allowed so your logic is flawed.

Do you have 100% proof that it was a motorcyclist who scratched your car? Leave the filtering out of it for now because they did no wrong in doing this.

Considering the fact i was sitting in it when it happened....yeah im a 100% sure it was the motorcyclist that caused it

And how is my logic flawed? Are u saying that regardless of whether its legal or not, he would have done it anyway?

I know I would as it is the main reason for using a bike in town or city so don't have to sit in traffic for hours. There is one thing I love about this country and it is the fact that filtering is legal, I couldn't imagine sitting behind a car like an idiot like in most states in the USA, literally defeats the purpose of owning a motorbike in a city. Anyway I am pretty sure you are trolling or have never ridden a bike. You can live your life(waste) sitting for hours in traffic but for me my time is valuable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Considering the fact i was sitting in it when it happened....yeah im a 100% sure it was the motorcyclist that caused it

And how is my logic flawed? Are u saying that regardless of whether its legal or not, he would have done it anyway?

That's great. Did you report the reg to the Garda? I would have.

You are asking a hypothetical question about something which is allowed and would they do it if it wasn't - maybe they would have done it - maybe not. Who knows? Are you one of these dogooders who never does anything they shouldn't? Have ya been to confession lately to cleanse your mind?

Advertisement