Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can be done to make roads safer for motorcyclists?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

aido43 wrote: »
    The survey is merely to show that the RSA have approached riders and then off they go to Dept of Transport to get agreement for introduction of a NCT for bikes-- making sure nothing over a few years old gets on road again. All RSA cares about is revenue generation---their stated aim is to introduce enough charges to pay for all the staff without recourse to tax revenue. They will use survey to ensure NCT introduction under guise of safety and then its open season --they have control of cars and trucks-bikes next.

I can't see how they can introduce an NBT. They will have to use the same system as the NCT/CVRT and there aren't enough bikes to make it economical for a company to set up testing centres. Even adding to some of the current NCT centres would be difficult as a lot don't have much space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 aido43

That may be the Achilles heel alright--very expensive to set up for Authorised Testers at the moment as investment needed in testing equipment etc. Id hazard a guess they will use a few selected NCT Centres who will take on bike testers and who can justify expense --any costs will eventually be passed on to bikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    Nah, coffee and dump :D I find that those surveys often have an agenda and will word the question ambiguously to suit their perception or desired outcome.

There are so many questions which are just plain stupid. "How often do you skid on the wet road" or "when distracted or pre-occupied, you realise 'too late' that the vehicle in front has slowed and you have to brake hard to avoid a collision" ah all the time bud!

Every time i'm backing it into a roundabout.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Jaysus, I write surveys all the time and that was one biased ****ing survey.

I also put in the suggestion of all VAT being removed from safety equipment.

You know they'll spin it to suit themselves.."75% of motorcyclists admit to driving over the speed limit"..admit that "they sometimes cant control their bikes while cornering"...etc etc...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

You know they'll spin it to suit themselves.."75% of motorcyclists admit to driving over the speed limit"..admit that "they sometimes cant control their bikes while cornering"...etc etc...:rolleyes:

Prepare for NBT/NMT and banning of filtering.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Sorry if it's already been mentioned and it's only one small part but every bit helps if it can go some where to save life's I remember watching top gear and someone showing clarkson that in holland I think it was they teach people to open there door with the hand futherest away from the door the action of bringing your arm across your body makes your head tilt and your eyes come into contact with the wing mirror by default so you by default always check your wing mirror hen opening door to prevent dooring cyclists and Motor cyclists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

You know they'll spin it to suit themselves.."75% of motorcyclists admit to driving over the speed limit"..

You could literally taste it from very early on.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Or 75% of motorcyclists are honest, compared to the 35% of car drivers that admitted spreading.

Cian_ok wrote: »
    Or 75% of motorcyclists are honest, compared to the 35% of car drivers that admitted spreading.

"I cant believe its not motorcycling"..........:D

• Advertisement

Here we go wrote: »
    Sorry if it's already been mentioned and it's only one small part but every bit helps if it can go some where to save life's I remember watching top gear and someone showing clarkson that in holland I think it was they teach people to open there door with the hand futherest away from the door the action of bringing your arm across your body makes your head tilt and your eyes come into contact with the wing mirror by default so you by default always check your wing mirror hen opening door to prevent dooring cyclists and Motor cyclists

Sure how would they hold their phone AND their coffee then....:rolleyes::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

I think the only way to deal with the loose chippings road surfacing would be to sue the Engineer who is over the job. It will have to be done or we will never be rid of this situation. I n this day and age to say that they can get away with surface dressing a road with chips and spray tar. The road overseer and the Engineer are personally liable for any accidents that would occur from an unsafe job

The Cuban wrote: »
    I think the only way to deal with the loose chippings road surfacing would be to sue the Engineer who is over the job. It will have to be done or we will never be rid of this situation. I n this day and age to say that they can get away with surface dressing a road with chips and spray tar. The road overseer and the Engineer are personally liable for any accidents that would occur from an unsafe job

Thats always been the way....people need take more responsibility for their own safety, dont be always looking for someone else to blame/sue for you're own inability or behaviour....ride aware, it makes you a better rider..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Lads don't give your name at the end. They will pass it onto the polis.

(I want to increase my chances to win the helmet)

The Cuban wrote: »

This I can't understand. Do councils not have to do a safety assessment for their jobs and if they do how does making a road dangerous for already vulnerable road users get passed.

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Lads don't give your name at the end. They will pass it onto the polis.

(I want to increase my chances to win the helmet)

You know they'll arrest you when you go to pick it up............:D

Del2005 wrote:
    This I can't understand. Do councils not have to do a safety assessment for their jobs and if they do how does making a road dangerous for already vulnerable road users get passed.

Yes, but I'd guess they assess from a 4 wheeler pov and ignore others, sure it'll be grand.

Same goes for manhole covers mid corner, roadside furniture and carrigeway cable dividers; a sh1t they do not give.

As already said it will take a large legal settlement to change things and even then they'll weigh up the payout probabilities before taking action

bladespin wrote: »
    Yes, but I'd guess they assess from a 4 wheeler pov and ignore others, sure it'll be grand.

Same goes for manhole covers mid corner, roadside furniture and carrigeway cable dividers; a sh1t they do not give.

As already said it will take a large legal settlement to change things and even then they'll weigh up the payout probabilities before taking action

You'd think that we've moved from the 70s when decisions are made on the basis that it's cheaper to pay for injuries than fix the problem.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1971-1980-ford-pinto12.htm

Del2005 wrote:
    You'd think that we've moved from the 70s when decisions are made on the basis that it's cheaper to pay for injuries than fix the problem.

This is Ireland, it'll always work that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

Yes but that's why I am saying it is the Engineer that is liable. The road authority and county council can hide but the engineer cannot knowingly sign off on an unsafe road, to do so is a criminal offense.
    So until we start sue the Engineers personally it will continue, but once one of them get sued it will end the whole practice as they will know the consequences.
    As for careful defensive driving, yes I totally agree but you get very little warning off road surface changes. You wont even see them at night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement