Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are fully licenced drivers from other european countries acceptable as sponsors?

• 23-02-2017 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

I'm fnding it hard to get sponsors to accompany me for driving practice. I know a couple of people with full licences from other European countries. Would they be suitable to act as a sponsor ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭dennyk

If they hold a valid full license from an EU country for the same class of vehicle that you are driving and have held it for at least the past two years, then I believe they would be a qualified accompanying driver.

Technically a "sponsor" isn't actually required, just recommended, although it's possible some ADIs might insist on you having one before they'll give you lessons. You can practice with as many different qualifying drivers as you want, though (or not practice at all, but that would make it very hard to pass your test, for sure).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

dennyk wrote: »

Technically a "sponsor" isn't actually required, just recommended, although it's possible some ADIs might insist on you having one before they'll give you lessons.

Driving unaccompanied is an offence no technicalities involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

If they hold a valid full license from an EU country for the same class of vehicle that you are driving and have held it for at least the past two years, then I believe they would be a qualified accompanying driver.

Technically a "sponsor" isn't actually required, just recommended, although it's possible some ADIs might insist on you having one before they'll give you lessons. You can practice with as many different qualifying drivers as you want, though (or not practice at all, but that would make it very hard to pass your test, for sure).

Sorry I meant accompanying driver. I've completed the edt lessons. Just need someone to accompany me when driving to get some more practice for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭dennyk

Gatling wrote: »
    Driving unaccompanied is an offence no technicalities involved

Well of course it is, but an accompanying driver does not have to be a "sponsor".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Well of course it is, but an accompanying driver does not have to be a "sponsor".

I believe it's what the OP actually meant driving with a qualified driver when practising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

.......,although it's possible some ADIs might insist on you having one before they'll give you lessons......

I can pretty much guarantee you that'll never happen.

Advertisement