Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gift Idea? €30-€50 range.

• 23-02-2017 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, my girlfriend's dad built me a nice pedal board for my guitar rig and despite it being beautiful, he won't accept payment for it so I want to buy him some tools as a gift.
    He's really gotten into woodworking in the last few months, got himself a table saw, made a work bench and a sled for the saw, etc. Just to give you and idea of where he's at.

So question really is, what would you like to get as a gift in that bracket?
    All suggestions welcome, no use trying to list off what he already has, I'll go in with an idea and scope out what he does and doesn't have after.

Cheers for any help you have!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you get into the city centre much (i see your location is tallaght)?
    maybe pop into goughs on little mary street and buy him a nice japanese saw or something similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

do you get into the city centre much (i see your location is tallaght)?
    maybe pop into goughs on little mary street and buy him a nice japanese saw or something similar?

Yeah, I'll be in every day this weekend actually!
    Just had a look there, something quite different and not necessarily something he'd buy himself, that's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to find. Thanks, mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'd second Gough's also- lots of good quality hand tools that you wouldn't necessarily find elsewhere (McQuillans for example!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

btw, any photos of the pedal board rig? i know one or two guitarists who might like to see such a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Some lovely vintage tools on adverts sold by John O' Neill (imakebiodiesel who posts on this forum a bit).
    I got my father in-law an old record no 4 hand plane from the 1950s from him for Christmas. He often has nice unique woodworking tools.

• Advertisement

btw, any photos of the pedal board rig? i know one or two guitarists who might like to see such a thing.

Of course, made from reclaimed oak and pine. The strap is from a Fender Champion 600 and this weekend I'm going to add the rubber feet from the same amp. (Amp never leaves my bedroom as it's just for practice.)
    I'll also have to buy some double sided Velcro to fix the pedals semi-permanently.

96ypn6.jpg
    jfu6p0.jpg

All great suggestions, something vintage would certainly be cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Forget in town for that price range, try dictum.com or ebay.co.uk if you really want to get tools. But if you don't know exactly what he has or would like, woodworking books might be a safer bet. Something from the Lost Art Press line maybe? ClassicHandTools.com and Dictum.com both carry them (Dictum's a little cheaper because of shipping, ClassicHandTools will charge an extra tenner for shipping over what you see on the site). The Anarchists Toolchest is a good read, as is The Joiner and Cabinetmaker, the latter especially if he has any interest in how things used to be done because it's an account of an apprentice learning cabinetmaking in 1839.

Bought him a lovely Japanese saw in Gough's yesterday, €50 and it feels the part. I don't know woodworking but I do know tools. :)

That last book you mentioned sounds great though, be excellent for a Christmas or birthday gift, thanks everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Glad you got sorted; lots of great woodworking titles available on Book Depository too, for future reference. Scott Landis, Garret Hack and others have some good titles published (pretty much anything by Taunton press is worth a look.

Advertisement