Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bogus 'patch' pop-up - what is it?

• 28-11-2004 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I really can't stand this. I recently wiped my system clean in favour of a W2K Prof install. For the most part, it runs fine. But when I surf, thats when I get it:

8815.jpg

It comes in a few different forms with a few different website addresses. Mostly resemble the one above.

Of course, I never clicked on the OK button, or even click the 'X' in the top-right to close it - I right-click on it on the Taskbar, and close it from there.

I am running AVG Antivirus and Norton 2004, and so far I've had a relatively clean system since the 'upgrade'. This has been happening almost since the upgrade, about 3 months ago.

Any one get these random pop-ups too, or know what they are linked to?

By the way, I surf with Firefox and not IEx - Firefox blocks pop-ups, but this gets through.

Seanie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

its a net send
    look up google on how to disable net send

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Thanks tuxy, I'll do that. Mind giving me a quick idea of what that is, or how it started in the first place?

Seanie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's a Windows service used for messaging on a network, intended for sysops mostly. You won't need it unless you're on a business network, so the sites tuxy told you to look for will tell you how to disable the service.

Clicking OK doesn't do anything by the way, it's just another form of spam, invented by a particularly retarded spammer.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Thanks tuxy and dahamsta, that worked out fine. Not getting them so far in the last few hours, so it must be a good sign!

Cheers,

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

start, settings, control panel -
    administrative tools, services -
    down to a process called "messenger" - double click on it.
    startup type change from "automatic" to "disabled".
    then service status should say started, press "stop".
    then ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement