Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an easy off road / trail for a kid

Options
  • 23-02-2017 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got my 12 year old daughter her first "proper" bike the other day and shes mad keen that we go out for a leisurely spin Sunday afternoon.

I'd like to take her somewhere interesting like a forest trail but not out onto busy roads, at least not yet. We're based near the Sandyford exit of the M50 and I have a bike rack for the car so we can go anywhere within a +/- 30 minute drive of there. Marlay Park springs to mind as a suitable spin but I'd appreciate the input of some people here on alternatives to Marlay Park.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

There are very nice and easy trails circumferencing Phoenix Park :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

phoenix park is probably neat the limit of the 30 minute driving distance though?

Its near the limit of 30 min cycling distance... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

a leisurely spin Sunday afternoon.

Hope you dont mean this Sunday, due to still be quite windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

ED E wrote: »
    Hope you dont mean this Sunday, due to still be quite windy.

Yeah, I do mean this Sunday and wind is indeed something I'm a bit concerned about. I was out in a bit of a storm myself (road bike) two Sundays ago (I think) and got a few nasty wobbles from sudden gusts of wind.

BTW, the Phoenix Park would be grand. Any particularly good spots to park up for easy access to the bike trails? I normally just park close to the zoo somewhere when over there but I'm never there with my bike :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Real shame the Marlay BMX track is gone, that'd be great for a 12yo. I loved it when I was a kid.

ED E wrote: »
    Real shame the Marlay BMX track is gone, that'd be great for a 12yo. I loved it when I was a kid.

The signs for it are still up though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bohernabreena reservoir is good fun for a bit of traffic free child friendly cycling. Starts out paved, but there is a lovely circuit you can do if you go up onto the gravel section and cross over at the 2nd bridge, with a nice bumpy gravel surface taking you to the back gate, about 10 metres on the road and in the other back entrance to loop around. A bit mucky in places, so old clothes are a good idea. Marlay gets crowded on a Sunday and is a bit lame for a 12 year old. If you want proper muddy and have knobbly tyres, Massey's wood is also good fun, and I've seen see parents and kids out there on bikes on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Around the magazine fort in the Phoenix park can be good fun. Then in and around the perimeter and Khyber Road areas are grand too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Try out the Ticknock MTB trails, just up the road from Sandyford..

They've been recently resurfaced up on the top trail so are as smooth as a new road! :D

vf8o45.jpg

They've been recently resurfaced up on the top trail so are as smooth as a new road!

Which one exactly is on the pic? All of them been resurfaced?

Alek wrote: »
    Which one exactly is on the pic? All of them been resurfaced?

Up the top trails from where the big telecoms masts are, they still have the crazy paving section at the end but if you take it easy then it should be no problem...
    You could do these trails on a Cyclocross bike...

Tenzor07 wrote: »

They've been recently resurfaced up on the top trail so are as smooth as a new road! :D

That's right on our doorstep and looks fantastic.

Is this the right spot to park to access that trail?

That's right on our doorstep and looks fantastic.
    Is this the right spot to park to access that trail?

Sure is! Park at the Biking.ie hut and there's either a short path up to the barrier or go around by the roadway...
    Once past the barrier there's a short climb to the start of the lower trails, which is called the "kiddies highway"... then there's a short climb up to the fireroad...where you can take a left down to the next barrier(which is the more leisurely option) and then up the short tarmac road to the aerials where you can meet the upper trails as per the picture.
    The end of that specific trail is a bit like crazy paving, just take it easy and you'll be grand, there's then another small section, which you can go on the trail(with little jumps) or beside it on the fireroad type surface and which will lead you back out onto the fireroad and on up to the aerials again..
    Back down the tarmac road and into biking.ie hut for coffees and choc bars! :)

346rl1j.jpg

magpyu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Tenzor07 wrote: »

They've been recently resurfaced ruined up on the top trail so are as smooth as a new road! :D

This would be a closer description of the work carried out.

Advertisement