Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New desk recommendations?

Options
  • 23-02-2017 11:48pm

I'm currently on the hunt for a new desk , I need something to hold my PC , 2 mounted monitors and 2 game consoles in a limited space. I can afford to go wider but not deeper. Current is 1m wide and 53cm deep , 72 cm high. Could afford to go to 150cm wide.

This is proving to be a real challenge. This I liked but it's 20cm too deep http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/desks/desk-computer-desks/fredde-workstation-black-art-50219044/

Was thinking that maybe to get the width I need and storage to go with a 1m desk and matching shelving to extend width but at same height might be an option but not seen any options, backs on shelves would have to be open for ventilation cables etc. Argos stuff looks like it would collapse from monitor weight alone. My monitors are mounted on a dual arm/pole that boles on to the desk from the back so that has to be factored in it comes in 4cm and drops to 6cm below.

Myabe custom build is the only option and I should google a carpenter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lots of Ikea stuff is corrugated cardboard cells. Perfect normally but useless to clamp onto, so just be careful there.

ED E wrote: »
    Lots of Ikea stuff is corrugated cardboard cells. Perfect normally but useless to clamp onto, so just be careful there.

Yeah really don't want to get the circular bit out to find im drilling into egg cartons :pac:

This http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6176103/Trail/searchtext>CALGRY.html is looking more like it but so hard to know from screens if parts can be left off/open at the back. Certainly fits dimensions

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Consider a stores shelving system with the bottom shelf moved up.

AJ products has a search function where you can select by dimensions:

https://www.ajproducts.ie/warehouse-industry/warehouse/stores-shelving/1570443.wf

e.g. this:

https://www.ajproducts.ie/warehouse-industry/warehouse/stores-shelving/galvanised-shelving/1570443-19688683.wf?productId=19688686

It'll take 190 kg/shelf which means you can even sleep on the "top bunk". :pac:

ru8nrr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I dunno. I have a clamped monitor on an Ikea desk at the moment, and it's totally fine. I've had dual monitors before too. After a year, that part of the desk was bowed in a little, but it still felt pretty sturdy.

Monitor: Dell U2412M. 3.98Kg.
    Arm: Ergotron LX. 3.6Kg.
    Computer is on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Lumen wrote: »
    Consider a stores shelving system with the bottom shelf moved up.

Interesting idea. One thing to be careful of, since it's going to be narrow and tall, is how easy it is to tip - worth considering bolting it to the wall.
    Serephucus wrote: »
    I dunno. I have a clamped monitor on an Ikea desk at the moment, and it's totally fine.

Fibreboard or solid wood desk? Their solid wood ones are actually pretty good - I've had a 27 inch monitor clamped to a stripped down Hemnes desk the last few years and it hasn't budged an inch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The super-cheap cardboard ones.

Oh fml got a desk today that met my needs and one of the parts is wrong. Back it goes. Luckily I wasn't far into the build and even more fortunate was herself feeling lazy so didn't dismantle the old set up .... phew !!!!! :D

Advertisement