Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Why I did not report my rapist"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'm surprised anyone is unsure about this not being rape tbh.. and that includes RmacC herself, as by her own admission she 'let' this guy have sex with her.

If I write a blog about why I never reported a car thief and then go on to say how my mate came over one night and kept asking me could he borrow my car and I kept saying no, over and over again, but he wasn't listening to me and so I let him take it to avoid having an awkward conversation.. I'd be laughed at for making such a claim.. and rightly so. As it would pure idiocy to suggest the guy stole my car when in actually fact I had let him take it.... and the same fundamentals apply here.

"A woman is not a car ya big man bastard!!"

Had RmacC kept saying no and even remotely struggled to get this guy off her, never actively 'letting' him have sex with her, then I don't think anyone would be of the opinion that she wasn't raped.. but she didn't, as by her own admission she 'stopped saying no' and allowed him to have sex with her, despite no fear of what may happen to her if she did not. That's not rape.

I think she should just give the matter further thought and then write a follow up article maybe. If she still believes she was raped that night, fine, but she needs to further qualify just why it is that she still holds that view, because as it stands nothing she has said so far justifies her doing so.. to my mind at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

pilly wrote: »

Also another thing that is overlooked in the discussion is the age of the guy.

At certain stages I've agreed "yeah he was a sleaze, a creep" but let's remember he was college age so at the horniest stage of his life without the emotional maturity to deal with it. Sorry lads but think about it when you were that age. Were you different to how you are now?

(Presuming most here are finished college)

+ 1
    It's not just about being young and randy, but also comprehension skills, attention, perceptiveness, maturity...
    When I read her account I have in my head the image of many young men I know who, in the most innocent and stupid way, would simply not even cop on the bad vibes. (That's if she was sending any, since she was still kissing.)

She says herself he probably wouldn't have thought of himself as a rapist.
    Well duh... maybe he just didn't cop on. I know a lot of people here think he must have been a creep to go on, but like I said, I know many a young man (my samples are a slight bit younger, admittedly) who simply just wouldn't get the message, unless it was laid on very thick. Even some of the college material (look at the behaviours during rag week sure).

These young fellows are not rapists ! They just need things ... "mansplained" ? (:pac:) or "child-splained" rather.

In a similar way, the young ladies I know require a lot of assistance, emotionally and practically. They're not very independent, and they find it hard to understand why they should be, since everything tends to be taken care of by their family, their friend(s), social media, the state ... They'll post on Facebook that they're strong and don't need something/someone in their life, craving for likes, and hearts, and "r u ok hun ?". Or posting crying selfies maybe.

In that context, maybe it's easier to see the 2 young people here for what they are : a young fellow who's too self-absorbed/thick/spoilt/ignorant to cop basic communication, and a young woman who has trouble being assertive in the situation. A recipe for cringe worthy situations, not rape.

edit ; I think the demographics on boards are pretty literate, and a bit removed from what I'm referencing above, I don't intend to make any college person reading this feel rotten or targeted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭manonboard

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Honestly, she seems emotionally unstable. Her behaviour online following the blog post with all of the blocking, the crying selfie and its subsequent deletion (which deserves a thread of its own such is the level of batsh1tness),the quoting and attacking of multiple boards.ie posters to her audience of adoring followers (which suggest she's following this thread by the minute too) and the #pma #strength #positivity instagram quotes....all suggest an extremely fragile ego, tendency to manipulate and desperate need for validation via her social media channels that goes beyond healthy and normal.

If I were a friend of hers I'd be advising her to take a break entirely from social media for the next few weeks and to get herself into therapy to build up her self-esteem and deal with the issues that seem to be informing these sort of juvenile and immature behaviours.

You wrote an incredibly accurate and well worded response there. Kudos to your objective, yet empathetic understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Although I think we are right to criticise her awful ****e - and I am very proud of the response of majority of boardies - it is done.

Well this is a bit pat-roniz-iarchal. :D

But you are right. I feel we're going around in circles, but reading others' points of view was interesting.

I really hope RMC understands that it more the matter of a post that is thought to be very ill-advised that is being discussed, and the group-think behaviour, rather than the person behind it all.

Ireland is such an easy place to fall into group think, when you're young, imo. Is it M.D. Higgins who proposed philosophy classes ? He's right, there's a huge need for them. (I had philosophy up to Baccalaureat, I was useless at it, but I use crumbs of it all the time in life).
    Definitely more of a need for them than for consent classes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

deleted post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm swinging backwards and forwards on this, have to be honest but there's one thing that has convinced me that's it's not a rape.

Any rape victim who has posted here hasn't believed it was a rape and they more than any of us know the feelings and thought process involved.

They'd only know the feelings and thought processes involved for themselves as individuals, they wouldn't know the feelings and thought processes involved for anyone else but themselves, and that still wouldn't qualify them to be able to determine whether the circumstances for anyone else were or weren't rape.

At certain stages I've agreed "yeah he was a sleaze, a creep" but let's remember he was college age so at the horniest stage of his life without the emotional maturity to deal with it. Sorry lads but think about it when you were that age. Were you different to how you are now?

No, even back then I knew when someone said no, they meant no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

that it more the matter of a post that is thought to be very ill-advised that is being discussed, and the group-think behaviour, rather than the person behind it all.

Mod: As it should be, but there's a few posts that are going over the line to analysing her character and making personal comments (I'm not picking on a single comment for both). Given at this stage everyone's well aware that the person they're speaking about can read what's here, they should be treated to some extent as a fellow-poster. I realise that "public" and "private" are a bit mixed up in this case but play the ball, not the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

Hi Samiris

where does victim blaming come into play ? im not really suggesting it has taken place in this thread (or any other) but I'm really interested to the moral conundrum thats faced by public companies with heart , maybe not the best place to discuss , but my heart is saying , if theres an issue of safety for the blogger or theres nomore points to be made , wheres the line of caring for the blogger/person ?

Mod note: The line is making insinuations about her employability, her looks, her moral character or her mental health (all of which have happened somewhere in the thread). There's plenty to discuss about the article itself without delving into any of the above in what is, after all, a public forum that will only ever consist of speculation about any of those topics. I don't want this thread to be derailed though, skyfarm, so if you have any questions on it, drop me a PM please.

I am sorry to see that feminism has such a bad rap though. Some of it I do think is cynical, but there are definitely people that go overboard with somewhat dubious extreme-feminism ideals. Feminism might see a resurgence though, especially in countries where rights might start vanishing. Much like the media got a short, sharp shock with Trump getting into power in the US, the feminists without a particular direction might suddenly get revitalized to doing something useful. Overall, I do see it as a force for good, but like anything else run and imagined by people, it gets stretched to cover stuff it was never really intended to and doesn't necessarily make sense. There's usually a core to the issue - this case goes back fifteen years, so applying strictly modern standards to it might be a bit unfair. If the "no - no - yes" issue is still here today (and it is, imo), it was probably worse fifteen years back, along with hang-ups about women's sexuality. I don't think from how it was put that she -was- raped, but there's issues buried in that that deserve discussion. Female sexuality has been a thorny issue for generations and it's going to take more than one or two generations to weed out centuries of ingrained social influence.

I do feel sorry for the guy (if he exists) in the middle of it all. The same way that young men need to be taught how to deal with females in terms of not pushing them into sex, young women also need to be taught of how serious rape is, how to protect themselves, and never to make a false claim or even false insinuation of rape. Also how to recognise rape. The consequences are just too serious for everyone. I have been sexually assaulted, on several occasions (two reported, one not) and as angry as I still am that there were no repercussions for the reported ones, I have to grit my teeth and admit that I prefer that than an innocent person being blamed and punished for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

But why is it always the "man/boy" who has the desire or urge for sex?
    i feel the huge struggles women have made to be heard fully is totally diminished when people suggest they devoid of the same urges feeling surrounding intimacy as men

as a man , i can honestly say i have said no and not be in the "mood"

Yeah, that's one of the issues around female sexuality imo, the assumption, even expectation that their sex drive is much lower than males and exploration of said sex drive is surrounded by difficulties brought on by social influence, including some very old-fashioned notions about whether consenting to sex (or indeed enthusiastically wanting sex) is to be looked down on particularly in females.

That sort of competing pressures lead to things like consenting to sex, regretting it and finding someone else to blame. Which is a very human thing to do and not just confined to females.

The situation -is- changing, mind you. But taking a situation like this fifteen years ago it could come into play. Admittedly, I'd expect it to come into play rather closer to the time. And I don't know that this is the situation in this case, but it's the sort of situation where that set of competing social pressures crash and can throw up unforeseen problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Is it me or did she take down the picture of her tears from her facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

bullvine wrote: »
    Is it me or did she take down the picture of her tears from her facebook?

She took it down. 3 days later when many people were asking what the relevance of it was....

As my wife said (not me).. "why is she crying 15 years later?" but I assume it was to give off the emotion of retelling the story.

In hindsight it probably detracted from the point she was trying to make.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I am sorry to see that feminism has such a bad rap though. Some of it I do think is cynical, but there are definitely people that go overboard with somewhat dubious extreme-feminism ideals.
    The problem is S in so many ways the "extreme-feminism ideals" have gone mainstream and that's what people are picking up on more and more. And I say this as someone who when asked would have identified as a feminist at the time of the incident that's the subject of this thread. It's not just feminism that has made extreme the mainstream. It's a general trend in society that lines are drawn and heels are dug in on a few subjects. Take I dunno, immigration. Dialogue almost always degenerates into a yay/nay, them/us, with a side order of anger flying from both sides. Take the more popular opposing arguments against feminism. You usually end up with the MRA/MGTOW/Red pill daftness that like feminism may have some valid points to make, but runs to the extreme in short order. IMH about the only difference between them is that the media gives feminism a far easier ride. More it gives such ideas a widely supported set of mainstream platforms including BTW the extreme-feminism ideals you mention. Locally we have individuals like Louise O'Neill and Una Mullaly that make their living from mainstream media and consistently peddle "extreme-feminism ideals" on a weekly basis to a degree that would be unimaginable if they were peddling equally daft MRA ideals.
    Feminism might see a resurgence though, especially in countries where rights might start vanishing. Much like the media got a short, sharp shock with Trump getting into power in the US, the feminists without a particular direction might suddenly get revitalized to doing something useful.
    Resurgence suggests a decline S, but the fact is feminism including the extreme is the acceptable narrative in western society and woe betide anyone who challenges it. Indeed one could easily argue that the reason a woefully inadequate to the task individual like Trump sits in the White House is because of enough people being pissed off at it and other "acceptable narratives" holding sway. A spoiled vote that got outa hand.
    Overall, I do see it as a force for good, but like anything else run and imagined by people, it gets stretched to cover stuff it was never really intended to and doesn't necessarily make sense.
    As I say, I would have agreed with you in the past, but I think it's so tainted with nonsense in the mainstream that it has become farcical more than not. Mainstream ideas: the pay gap. the 1 in 4(or 3/6, depending on source), the education gap. The health gap. And a few others. All of which can be easily argued as dubious or entirely false. And that's the mainstream stuff.
    Female sexuality has been a thorny issue for generations and it's going to take more than one or two generations to weed out centuries of ingrained social influence.
    Even that take, which seems and is perfectly reasonably expressed is assuming a position on the nature/nurture dichotomy based in 60/70's philosophy, from where much of third wave feminism got its foundations. The philosophy that people are blank slates and it's all about social influence and that assumes social influence can "fix" things. Female sexuality(and male) has been a thorny issue since humanity first recorded their thoughts across time and geography and across otherwise diverse societies, which strongly suggests that we're dealing with more nature than nurture. Try suggesting that in mainstream dialogue, including and especially in political dialogue which has direct influence on people's lives and see how far one gets.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

She didn't accuse anyone of rape though, she's not even sure herself (if the article is taken as a whole) whether she was or she wasn't... she deliberately leaves it open to any reader to draw their own conclusions.

You must not have read the article - or even the title "why did not report my rapist":confused:

What she should have titled it is "I now regret sleeping with someone I wasn't really in to"

We've all been there Rosemary - learn from your mistakes and grow the fúck up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

You must not have read the article - or even the title "why did not report my rapist":confused:

What she should have titled it is "I now regret sleeping with someone I wasn't really in to"

We've all been there Rosemary - learn from your mistakes and grow the fúck up.

Apparently that post was just to reiterate that Rosemary didn't actually name the person she was accusing.

I'm still bemused by her tweet "we're all f*cked up re consent".......

This type of outrageous generalisastion suggests a number of things:

1. She herself isn't actually sure what consent is and as such may want to refrain from using the word rapist in a blog title
    2. None of us as adults in this country have a clue as to what consent is
    3. She seems to think she is speaking for the entire population on said topic

I don't know, it just bothers me alot. It's such a daft thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

timmy880 wrote: »
    She took it down. 3 days later when many people were asking what the relevance of it was....

As my wife said (not me).. "why is she crying 15 years later?" but I assume it was to give off the emotion of retelling the story.

In hindsight it probably detracted from the point she was trying to make.

Only point she was trying to make was to bring attention to herself..

Poor Me Me Me :mad:

Well this is a bit pat-roniz-iarchal. :D

This word is the best thing to come out of these 1400 odd posts. Possibly out of boards in it's entirety!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fitzytour

I had commented on Rosemary's instagram post where she was crying, and stated my opinion in no uncertain terms that I thought she was NOT raped and that her post was a new low and seriously undermined the word rape etc. etc....she had wrote back to me and we had commented back and forth..a few people had commended me but a few others hadn't - one person in particular asked me 'was I deaf, did I not see the part in Rosemary's blogpost where she said no?'..funnily enough if I was deaf, it wouldn't affect my ability to read her blogpost so that comment gave me a LOL.

Anyway, the point I am getting to is that she now has that post deleted! It really annoy me because I think I made some very good points to which she had no response for, so she just deletes it! If she feels she is entitled to write a post calling her ex a rapist (when she was not raped), then why cant I question her on her post? (I never once got abusive or nasty) - Talk about hypocritcal - If she is going to go there with this type of post then be prepared to deal with feedback!

• Advertisement

timmy880 wrote: »
    This does remind me of a sexual experience of my own and unfortunately I'm putting myself on the line a little bit here but f*ck it, we're having a discussion.

I met a girl online and we agreed to go on a date. In our texts we had discussed sexual things etc. and had been very open with each other. We met one night, had a few drinks, got on great and went back to hers.

On her couch we start kissing and getting naked and handsy with each other. It was all very mills and boons and then she stops and says "no we shouldn't". She said it clearly and I said fine. She continues to kiss me and we get more naked. She says again "no.. we really shouldn't" in a tone that wasn't dismissive but I understood what she said. I say fine fair enough. She kisses me again, we get completely naked and have sex.

This was a few years ago. Now there is nothing at all stopping this female from appearing online, writing a blog and saying "I said no twice but we ended up having sex because I felt sorry for him, now I feel I've been raped" (note: she did not feel sorry for me and we met up several times after this) but technically she could write a blog word for word the same way as Rosemary did and none of it would be factually incorrect (and I therefore would be labelled a rapist by quite a number of Irish females judging by the comments). Her words were understood clearly, nobody was forced into anything but in the end the moment got the better of us and we had sex and it was consentual.

As I said, we met up several times after this and got on great and I know she would never think of me as a rapist but my point is, she could write a blog very similar to this one and it wouldn't be incorrect - the words were said, they were understood but the actions took over on both sides.

The thing is, I can only describe all of the above because I was there. The same way Rosemary can be the only one to accurately describe her encounter. But there are occasions where words are said but actions take over on both sides. And this is where "SHE SAID NO, IT'S OVER" comments just aren't as black and white as that. Hence why I'm posting this story.

My ex girlfriend did this regularly. To her, it was foreplay. She would often refuse my advances and get annoyed when I gave up too quickly. To me, no means no. To the degree where I feel like I've let opportunities pass me by over the years where possibly a more aggressive guy would have pushed the issue. If someone physically pushes you off, that definitely means no. That's what my ex did. Apparently I was supposed to persevere, it as all part of the foreplay. I eventually got used to her but I had to tell that she's essentially training me to not take no for answer and that its really ****ed up. It was fine once we communicated this but she needed to know that its not right that she's been conditioned to do that.

I had commented on Rosemary's instagram post where she was crying, and stated my opinion in no uncertain terms that I thought she was NOT raped and that her post was a new low and seriously undermined the word rape etc. etc....she had wrote back to me and we had commented back and forth..a few people had commended me but a few others hadn't - one person in particular asked me 'was I deaf, did I not see the part in Rosemary's blogpost where she said no?'..funnily enough if I was deaf, it wouldn't affect my ability to read her blogpost so that comment gave me a LOL.

Anyway, the point I am getting to is that she now has that post deleted! It really annoy me because I think I made some very good points to which she had no response for, so she just deletes it! If she feels she is entitled to write a post calling her ex a rapist (when she was not raped), then why cant I question her on her post? (I never once got abusive or nasty) - Talk about hypocritcal - If she is going to go there with this type of post then be prepared to deal with feedback!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Samaris wrote: »
    Yeah, that's one of the issues around female sexuality imo, the assumption, even expectation that their sex drive is much lower than males and exploration of said sex drive is surrounded by difficulties brought on by social influence, including some very old-fashioned notions about whether consenting to sex (or indeed enthusiastically wanting sex) is to be looked down on particularly in females.

That sort of competing pressures lead to things like consenting to sex, regretting it and finding someone else to blame. Which is a very human thing to do and not just confined to females.

The situation -is- changing, mind you. But taking a situation like this fifteen years ago it could come into play. Admittedly, I'd expect it to come into play rather closer to the time. And I don't know that this is the situation in this case, but it's the sort of situation where that set of competing social pressures crash and can throw up unforeseen problems.
    I can say exactly why I didn't want sex as much as the men did when I was younger. Because when I did have sex, the men were very selfish/knowledgeless. Why would the woman want to have sex when she is not going to enjoy it?
    I feel I only really learned about sex when I moved out of Ireland later on to another country, that it was for my pleasure too.
    Ireland has very bad sexual attitudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

This struck me this morning.

I hope she actually seeks out some help outside of twitter sphere.
    Martyr Syndrome (redirected from Martyr complex)

A condition in which a person uses their suffering, self-sacrifice, and role as a victim to manipulate others into psychologically rewarding them for their ongoing misery

Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Never heard of this girl before coming across this thread, wish I didn't.

Just read her post on McGregor - utter nonsense, sensationalist tripe.

She strikes me as an attention seeker who stirs up sh1t that wasn't there in the first place to generate a reaction.

Time to erase some of my memory banks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

fitzytour wrote: »

I don't get this.

There's numerous posts her slating her for putting up the crying selfie. She takes it down and people are still complaining.

You can engage with her about this topic on another one of her posts, her blog, her twitter etc.

It was fine once we communicated this but she needed to know that its not right that she's been conditioned to do that.

I wouldn't go so far as to say she was conditioned to do anything - she just had a bit of kink I'd say. Some people are into much weirder shít than that.
    Takes all sorts and all that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Both the crying selfie and the blog post itself were uploaded and written for the exact same reasons. Not to get conversation going, (as she initially claimed she wanted) that much is clear since she doesn't actually want to converse with anyone about the obvious ambiguity of the situation. But for absolute attention and commendation. It's clear that to be seen as a victim is the currency you need in today's climate, which is ironic and a complete contradiction of the empowerment mentality femisnist doctrine would have had you believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I can say exactly why I didn't want sex as much as the men did when I was younger. Because when I did have sex, the men were very selfish/knowledgeless. Why would the woman want to have sex when she is not going to enjoy it?
    I feel I only really learned about sex when I moved out of Ireland later on to another country, that it was for my pleasure too.
    Ireland has very bad sexual attitudes.

That's a bit of a sad generalisation. You sound like one of those people who says to their friends 'omg you're still living i Iiiireland, I'm SO glad I left, I don't know why people have stayed'
    I have friends who do this, who are now back living here.

Any sexual partners I've had have been keen to learn (college days) or knowledgeable but keen to know what my turn ons are (because every woman likes different things).
    You sound like you sold yourself short but it's not Ireland's fault.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I don't get this.

There's numerous posts her slating her for putting up the crying selfie. She takes it down and people are still complaining.

You can engage with her about this topic on another one of her posts, her blog, her twitter etc.

I only follow her on instagram so that is why I engaged with her on it there, it did not even enter my mind that may be why she took down the post, as I didn't realise people were slating her for that particular reason!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I just want to know how to take a good crying selfie. :D
    I am not a pretty crier. I'm a snotty mascara running swollen eyed pale misfortune. I'm intrigued by people who can look nice when they cry.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I don't get this.

Can you engage though? It's pretty clear from this thread that's she's blocking people for even as much as liking a tweet by someone who disapproves of her stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Anyway, the point I am getting to is that she now has that post deleted! It really annoy me because I think I made some very good points to which she had no response for, so she just deletes it! If she feels she is entitled to write a post calling her ex a rapist (when she was not raped), then why cant I question her on her post? (I never once got abusive or nasty) - Talk about hypocritical - If she is going to go there with this type of post then be prepared to deal with feedback!

I think I saw your post, as I said previously about all these bloggers they can't take the heat when it comes to criticism. Its only positive feedback please, blocks people on twitter who like posts who disagree with her view.

She tweeted this at the weekend
    I'm confused about why @boards shuts down threads that "gossip" about bloggers, while this 53-page monster dissecting my character is okay.

MMA_Ireland‏ @MMA responded
    @RosemaryMacCabe @boards But didn't you dissect @TheNotoriousMMA 's character yesterday, saying he sees women as objects to be groped??
    Her response was
    @RosemaryMacCabe @MMA_Ireland I quoted him, in an interview saying some incredibly misogynistic things about women. Relevance?
    @RosemaryMacCabe @MMA_Ireland actually! Please don't answer that. I 100% do not care.
    I'm not fan of McGregor or MMA but that piece she wrote was awful, took quotes from his GQ interview completely out of context to suit her own agenda.
    Then another person questions her on it
    Joe‏ @joedoyle11 @RosemaryMacCabe @boards @TheNotoriousMMA But its OK for you to talk about Conor McGregor & use his name concerning rape culture??
    and her response is
    RosemaryMacCabe @joedoyle11 oh please! The way he speaks about women and the fact you think it's acceptable = rape culture.
    Joe‏ @joedoyle11 @RosemaryMacCabe No its not, I've heard many women say worse about men. Are they rapists as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

anna080 wrote: »
    Can you engage though? It's pretty clear from this thread that's she's blocking people for even as much as liking a tweet by someone who disapproves of her stance.

What?

She posts it on Social Media and is now blocking anyone who disagrees with her?

That's really someone who is totally insulated from reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

What?

Keep up Mr. I, this has been the situation since she posted it. :)

What?

Yep. Blocking anyone who disagrees AND blocking anyone who do as little as like a tweet where someone has questioned her.
    The reverberations in that chamber must be getting louder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

anna080 wrote: »

What?

On snap chat last night she said she wasn't taking 'abuse' from anyone anymore and her social media platforms are hers and she will block if she likes.

I've seen a few articles from new feminists saying the same. The rationale is there's no point arguing with people who never want to get it and you have to protect yourself

RosemaryMacCabe @joedoyle11 oh please! The way he speaks about women and the fact you think it's acceptable = rape culture.

Jesus H. Christ...

Rapists running rampant in the streets...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

On snap chat last night she said she wasn't taking 'abuse' from anyone anymore and her social media platforms are hers and she will block if she likes.

I've seen a few articles from new feminists saying the same. The rationale is there's no point arguing with people who never want to get it and you have to protect yourself

There is a certain truth to that though imo. There are certain posters on here too that will simply keep posting the same statement over and over and over hoping what I don't know that repetition will convert everyone else? If I bothered with any public form of social media I don't think I'd put up with that kind of ****e either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have just read the McGregor piece, I am seriously lost for words after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Keyzer wrote: »

Jesus H. Christ...

Rapists running rampant in the streets...

Is there a more annoying phrase in use at the moment than rape culture - this is Ireland not fúcking Pakistan, there is no rape culture. Everyone in this country, bar rapists themselves, thinks it's a disgusting thing to do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jonnycivic wrote: »
    I have just read the McGregor piece, I am seriously lost for words after it.
    It would be my opinion that anyone who seriously believes Ireland is a "rape culture" needs to get out of their own heads and the philosophy they've adopted and look into the real world the rest of us live in. This is a problem with all radicals. All they have is a hammer, so everything starts to look like a nail.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

This post has been deleted.

Well everything I know of the Kardashians is they have big arses that all the younger women are all trying to emulate now so like where is the issue really if they have made a career out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Wibbs wrote: »
    It would be my opinion that anyone who seriously believes Ireland is a "rape culture" needs to get out of their own heads and the philosophy they've adopted and look into the real world the rest of us live in. This is a problem with all radicals. All they have is a hammer, so everything starts to look like a nail.

edit: not funny

• Advertisement

Well at least there is finally some science and algebra behind the term "rape culture"

I would have thought that rape culture by definition would involve the act of rape combined with this act being frequent and acceptable in society. However, McGregor's words and your acceptance of those words = rape culture.

Good to know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Hmmm, is abuse just another word for "people just don't agree with me"? Obviously she is right to ban people who resort to personal abuse. But it seems that people who raise valid points are also being banned. Tarring all dissent in that manner is a tad disingenuous. As noted by a previous poster in this thread, she had no problems in setting her acolytes on others (eg. Mark Paul for his article in the IT last year, also some of her fellow bloggers etc). So is it a case of she is fine with abuse, as long as she is the one leading the charge?

mzungu wrote: »
    Hmmm, is abuse just another word for "people just don't agree with me"? Tarring all dissent in that manner is a tad disingenuous. As noted by a previous poster in this thread, she had no problems in setting her acolytes on others (eg. Mark Paul for his article in the IT last year, also some of her fellow bloggers etc). So is it a case of she is fine with abuse, as long as she is the one leading the charge?

Seems that way for these social justice warrior types, baseless arguments founded on nothing but opinion and an unwillingness to listen or intelligibly debate/argue with those who don't agree. Similar foundations to fascism if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I'm swinging backwards and forwards on this, have to be honest but there's one thing that has convinced me that's it's not a rape.

Any rape victim who has posted here hasn't believed it was a rape and they more than any of us know the feelings and thought process involved.

Apparently, that stage, 'horniness' never leaves us...it's part of evolution. Folks used to say we 'peak' but apparently, nope.

I would argue she was none too emotionally mature either-considering the time period.
    Plus the use of alcohol between them probably messed em up communication wise. I would argue when both are drunk, there is a shared responsibility unless violence enters the equation.

I noted, in an article in the independent, from someone who suffered a horrific rape (permanent damage suffered, requires surgery, will not be able to give birth naturally without risk to life, problems will happen at menopause too-she's only 24) that she 'did not want to be a victim'. Now, her torment was horrific, he's in jail for 10-15 yrs, but should be for life...and her words resonated with me.
    Most people don't want to ever be a victim after the fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That's a majorly problematic part of modern online discussion. My view of healthy debate is that you put out your theory / opinion, and you see what comes back at you in terms of agreement / disagreement. So long as people are reasonable and civil and don't strawman it's moderately beneficial. I accept that many people will not share my views and I accept that people may say things that I don't personally want to hear.

Unfortunately, we are now in an age where people feel entitled to controlling the debate. They think nothing of deleting responses / comments on their social media that they don't like or that they perceive to show them in a bad light (or show them up). If the whole post / blog / tweet / whatever seems to have failed (i.e. your point of view is getting torn to shreds) just delete it entirely. This is normalised to the extent that even some of my friends who I love and respect and who are highly educated will do the same - and not even realise how inappropriate and intellectually bankrupt doing so is.

You can see it in terms of what certain users ask for on boards, indeed, you can see it in the request to have this thread limited / closed / deleted on feedback. There was a time where opinions were put forth into an arena for them to gain traction and submitted to a certain amount of scrutiny or discussion. Now you can have people with thousands of followers throwing their theories out in a highly controlled and protected manner, and they can manipulate the view of those theories to make it look like they are far more widely accepted and agreed with than is the case.

I know this is wrong. Any reasonable people who remember the world pre Internet know this is wrong. My fear is not that the likes of Rosemary McCabe doesn't know it's wrong. My fear is all the younger people for whom echo chambers are their only exposure to "discussion". Where that may lead is extremely dangerous for the future of society.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement