Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Customs having no mechanic on road side checks.

• 24-02-2017 12:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Why don't they? I refused a customs worker to remove the fuel filter to get a sample as he admitted he wasn't a qualified mechanic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Darn straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Why don't they? I refused a customs worker to remove the fuel filter to get a sample as he admitted he wasn't a qualified mechanic.

What happened then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Why would they need to remove a fuel filter? Thought the usual method was to dip the fuel tank.

They drain the fuel filter these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

elperello wrote: »
    What happened then?

He gave the guts of five minutes with his syphon trying to get a sample from tank after i telling him he wouldn't be able. He then went on to under the hood to which I asked him was he qualified to work on this commercial.
    I told him I had no problem getting a mechanic to do some disassembly etc to get a sample. Just told me to go on my way.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »

Not this crew, they were tank first always.

Oh yeah. But it's quite the norm for them to go removing filters nowadays. I wouldn't let them at one either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does the new fancy trace stuff they now use in marked diesel drop to the bottom of the tank that they have to do this? If it does did they keep the receipt from whoever sold them the formula?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Nationwide Ear to the Ground on rte had a piece on green diesel and customs doing roadside checks.

Even showed them doing the test.

They take a sample, add some mystery fluid, shake well, and it turns pink.

It's up on rte player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Does the new fancy trace stuff they now use in marked diesel drop to the bottom of the tank that they have to do this? If it does did they keep the receipt from whoever sold them the formula?

I'm assuming that any additive to the fuel would hang around a filter a lot longer than in the tank. It would bind to any filter element or contaminates in the fuel, which are then trapped in the filter, giving a better chance of a positive result. If you cycled marked and unmarked into the main tank, its likely the trace elements from the marked would be so low that you'd pass the test or at worst be borderline.

Its funny how all this effort could be done away with if they just closed that tax rate or at least offset it versus road diesel so even if someone was using it, the benefit would be marginal. Boggles the mind why they still do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

I would guess they are thinking that there is a false tank fitted, so they need to get as close to the point where it enters the engine.

However unless they are qualified to work on all of the numerous engine types they meet on a day to day basis or are qualified diesel mechanics, that would be a no from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

When and where did this happen OP? Was it a multi agency checkpoint the with the Gardaí?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

colm_mcm wrote: »

Good luck for them doing it on my civic.
    It's a 3 hour job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

CiniO wrote: »
    It's a 3 hour job.

LMAO - he would have fun doing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

CiniO wrote: »
    It's a 3 hour job.

Just have a new one in the boot and ask him would he mind changing it too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought customs agents could do whatever they liked to your car or is that just at borders? I had my car ripped apart in France. I looked into it at the time and the general consensus was that customs agents can take your car to bits and just walk away leaving you with a pile of parts if they want to.

The advice was not to get testy with them because that could turn a quick look into a complete dismantling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

mikeecho wrote: »
    Nationwide on rte had a piece on green diesel and customs doing roadside checks.

Even showed them doing the test.

They take a sample, add some mystery fluid, shake well, and it turns pink.

It's up on rte player.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/ear-to-the-ground-1023/10690420/

@16:10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Theres a strong chance they could air lock your fuel system removing the filter - are they going to deal with that too

nelly17 wrote: »
    Theres a strong chance they could air lock your fuel system removing the filter - are they going to deal with that too

This is the issue, my guess is they take the sample and leave you sort your vehicle out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

nelly17 wrote: »

Ford transit or focus springs to mind. I hope they brought the tow rope!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Does it say in legislation a qualified mechanic has to perform the task? Surprised they let you on your way, not that i'd allow them at my car either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Happened once before to me

Company Van was brand new less than 20 kilometers on it , Checkpoint and the tank had an anti syphon fitted It was a partner or a berlingo couldn't get the diesel out

Wanted to start tinkering at the engine I wouldn't let him and he sent me on my way

Advertisement