Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 320i e90

• 24-02-2017 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭

Any opinions on a e90 320i, seem to have a number of very common problems regards coilpack and injectors.
    Currently looking at one with 165,000 miles on the clock.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

E39 is a 5 series.
    3 series is more than likely e30,36, 46 or 90/1/2/3 in that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

If it's e39 it's the 5 series from 96-04

Pretty reliable car in it's day apart from a few suspension and cooling issues that surfaced with age on nearly them all. I had an ABS module fail too but wasn't too expensive to fix. Prone to little spots of rust here and there too but not severe. Nothing else really happened to me.

Bear in mind you are looking at cars at least 13 years old if not more if it is in fact the e39 you are looking at.

Still considered by many as the best 5 series ever made from a driver's perspective.

But do you have anything to look out for? Yes, you do. Pretty much everything on a car that age could be close to failing, get someone that knows them to have a look.

I have had 2 of them, still have one today it's an 04. I have been driving them since 2005 with the exception of 1 year after I sold my 530i, drove something else, missed it a lot and went out and bought a 525i thought I'd keep it for a year and move up but haven't as yet.

You will buy even a good example for peanuts like I did but I know my total cost of motoring is about the same as someone driving a brand new 1.2 or 1.4 car when the tax, insurance, fuel and repairs is taken into account.

You have a choice, pay these bills or suffer depreciation, I prefer larger older cars. You won't regret it if you go in with your eyes open and get hold of a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I see you changed to e90. Nice car in the right spec, dull and boring in the basic spec, never owned one but did drive one and I liked it.

Have a look at honest John website it's very good, most of what I said about e39 and age related problems will apply to e90 too especially with 165 miles on it

Advertisement