Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiny House Community in Co. Dublin

Options
  • 24-02-2017 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all!

I would like to build a tiny house on wheels in the nearest future. The plan is to find a suitable piece of land somewhere in Co. Dublin and adapt it to the tiny house dwelling needs (preferably on grid).

My aim is to co-create a tiny house community with like minded people who would like to share the land where each person would have their own private space (tiny house, mobile home etc.), but with a community area in the center of the development where many facilities and resources could be shared with others.

I would love feedback and suggestions, of what you may be looking for in a tiny home community!

Any suggestions, legal advice and information on the topic much appreciated.

If you share my passion for tiny living, don't hesitate to contact me.

Wishing you all the best,
    Marta

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Sounds like a great idea. It would be tricky to get the land but if you can it would be a great sustainable way to live

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hi all!

I would like to build a tiny house on wheels in the nearest future. The plan is to find a suitable piece of land somewhere in Co. Dublin and adapt it to the tiny house dwelling needs (preferably on grid).

My aim is to co-create a tiny house community with like minded people who would like to share the land where each person would have their own private space (tiny house, mobile home etc.), but with a community area in the center of the development where many facilities and resources could be shared with others.

I would love feedback and suggestions, of what you may be looking for in a tiny home community!

Any suggestions, legal advice and information on the topic much appreciated.

If you share my passion for tiny living, don't hesitate to contact me.

Wishing you all the best,
    Marta

Good for you showing initiative. All good wishes. This does well in eg the States.

Have you seen eg this?

http://www.thevillage.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tinycodublin

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I would love the tiny house movement to be alive and vibrant in this country too :)
    Best regards, Marta

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I would love the tiny house movement to be alive and vibrant in this country too :)
    Best regards, Marta

Hi,

saw this earlier today, thought you might enjoy it.

http://www.countryliving.com/real-estate/a35461/bestie-row/?src=socialflowFB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »

No; it is a living community not just incidental residents who do not know each other.

The Tiny House Movement is well known in the States and Canada. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_house_movement

A way forward for many and the community aspect gives security and likemindedness.

Nothing like anything we have here and not like travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most, if not all city / county development plans will insist on larger-sized properties.

You will need to comply with building regulations and BER standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Graces7 wrote: »
    What are tiny house wheels for if not for tiny house travelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

1st stop is your local Librarararary (physical or virtual):

tinyhouses.png

This movement is very different from your average 'trailer park' type traditional communities, the focus is on innovation, and even commercial offshoots such as glamping or product export. Popular with younger folks not adhering to any strong cultural stereotypes.

It's best suited to more 'temperate' climates however. Saying that, newer developments such as 'nano-tech Hydrophobic waterproofing' and graphene steel foams - point to the future, even single membranes such as Voormi's clothing ranges are pretty revolutionary. Not sure but there may be some planning exceptions if the 'building' has wheels, the real problem is sourcing land.

Not to take anything away from the more 'culturally-set' traditional nomadic and Amish types, they'll probably find any 'global force majeure events' nothing more than a 'slight inconvenience'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'd say the first stop is the local planning office to see if they're open to the idea and if so what their key priorities are. You may have to try a few councils to find one open to the idea.

Tiny houses won't meet building regs so there'll need to be some sort of exception or work around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Lumen wrote: »

Simply a means to get around planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Evading building regulations. These don't meet any level of safety requirements for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I have some awareness of the tiny house movement, but am not very knowledgeable on the specifics.

Question: which would be more sustainable - a lot of freestanding tiny houses, or an apartment block that has been to high standard (well-insulated, passive design, etc)?

Genuine question, not having a go; I am just thinking that if you were trying to keep a number of stand-alone tiny houses heated during the winter, they might not be very sustainable in the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Senecio wrote: »
    That's a misunderstanding of planning permission. PP is required for change of use of land. The most visible change of use is the construction of buildings.

This sounds like dreamer land.

Victor wrote: »
    That's a misunderstanding of planning permission. PP is required for change of use of land. The most visible change of use is the construction of buildings.

My comment was more in relation to Canada and the US where the movement has taken off. Different planning rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No; it is a living community not just incidental residents who do not know each other.

The Tiny House Movement is well known in the States and Canada. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_house_movement

A way forward for many and the community aspect gives security and likemindedness.

Are ypu aware of any research about the medium to long term impact of tiny-house living on mental health?

I can see it being fine for a while - but what happens if you have a fight with your partner and nowhere to go to cool off?

Conceivably it could cause a family feud, even.

Some research in the area would be good to see before lobbying for a planning exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suppose you could have a communal tiny sulking room with a sofa-bed for use as required?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Op - if you are willing to relocate, what about the eco-village in Cloughjordan?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cloughjordan-inside-ireland-s-only-ecovillage-1.2462135

Not exactly the same thing as you are proposing, but they possibly already encountered some of the same planning issues, etc. that you might come across, so

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Evading building regulations. These don't meet any level of safety requirements for starters.
    Victor wrote: »

My comment was more in relation to Canada and the US where the movement has taken off. Different planning rules.

I agree with Victor. I don't know a better definition of a caravan than "a tiny house with wheels", and AFAIK the only exempted development for caravans is quite limited.
    Exempted Development — Rural
    Limited use of camping
    CLASS 1
    Temporary use of any land for the placing of any tent, campervan or caravan or for the mooring of any boat, barge or other vessel used for the purpose of camping.

Conditions and limitations:

1. Not more than one tent, campervan or caravan shall be placed within 100 metres of another tent, campervan or caravan at any time.

2. No tent, campervan, caravan or vessel shall remain on the land for a period greater than 10 days.

3. No tent, campervan, caravan or vessel shall be used for the storage, display, advertisement or sale of goods or for the purposes of any business.

4. No tent, campervan or caravan shall be placed on land within 50 metres of any public road unless the land is enclosed by a wall, bank or hedge, or any combination thereof, having an average height of not less than 1.5 metres.

Are ypu aware of any research about the medium to long term impact of tiny-house living on mental health?

I can see it being fine for a while - but what happens if you have a fight with your partner and nowhere to go to cool off?

Conceivably it could cause a family feud, even.

Some research in the area would be good to see before lobbying for a planning exemption.

Disagree. Mature folk who live like this are very aware.
    It is not for everyone; but those who choose.
    Not being mooted as an alternative to social housing.

See the original post?

"My aim is to co-create a tiny house community with like minded people who would like to share the land where each person would have their own private space (tiny house, mobile home etc.), but with a community area in the center of the development where many facilities and resources could be shared with others."

I agree with Victor. I don't know a better definition of a caravan than "a tiny house with wheels", and AFAIK the only exempted development for caravans is quite limited.

Maybe look at the photos on the web sites? "Tiny houses"come in many designs and are not caravans.

Maybe look at the photos on the web sites? "Tiny houses"come in many designs and are not caravans.
    What distinguishes them from caravans?

What distinguishes them from caravans?

let google images explain that.

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tiny+house+&*

and in the US and Canada it is part of the "downsizing" movement.

As much the intention and philosophy anything else. Emphasis on tiny; so no huge trailers.

Would love one..Really would.

Family in the US and Canada know these well. Great idea and were I younger and in good health would choose that.

let google images explain that.
    It really doesn't. I see caravans.
    As much the intention and philosophy anything else.
    Unfortunately, and to the severe detriment of our creative spirits, we live in a world regulated by law, not philosophy (albeit the two are not unrelated), so how things are constructed and classified matters.

Is the "movement" in Ireland intending to comply with, change, or ignore the law?

It really doesn't. I see caravans.

Unfortunately, and to the severe detriment of our creative spirits, we live in a world regulated by law, not philosophy (albeit the two are not unrelated), so how things are constructed and classified matters.

Is the "movement" in Ireland intending to comply with, change, or ignore the law?

Need to see it from the point of view of a whole movement with a different terminology.. "tiny home" is a broad definition. More than caravans

Your last para. I think that that is what the OP is asking about. It is a valid question that of course needs sorting fully.

There was a url given of the "intentional eco-community:" they will have faced the same issues, as have the Hollies down in West Cork who I knew well. Similar breakaways from the established norms.

http://thehollies.ie/

Some folk call the Hollies folk "middle aged hippies" but I always found them kind and helpful. Certainly different, as are the Tiny Home folk .

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

L1011 wrote: »

As far as I know every single company in Ireland offering tiny houses fully comply with all safety regulations and go beyond of what is required. I don't know if there are "tiny house cowboys" but the companies I know they use the latest materials and the latest building techniques more than complying with regulations. And it's the same outside Ireland.

The majority of these builds in fact can very easily become passive houses that don't need heating. They are also highly energy efficient and can become energy independent. Along with using rainwater caching methods to reduce carbon footprint. A tiny house uses the latest techniques and the latest safety regulations.

This an example of a house with the latest in insulation and energy efficiency
    And this an example of a mobile home with obviously less features but I wouldn't be surprise if it can easily be arranged for it to become a passive house as well as the levels of insulation are already very high

I'm not related in any way with this company it is one of the websites I have researched when toying with the idea of maybe one day going for a tiny house

The fact they are tiny is what I believe causes the mistake. Most people would think about travellers and the like and the reality is that the only common point with a traveller's house is that some of these houses can be on wheels and that's it

Regarding what Mrs Bumble was saying about long term effect of living in such enclosed space the reality is that these houses are not that small some of them have at least a separate bedroom space from a main living area and lots of them they have a second guest room. The idea is to get rid of all the dead space we have in some houses nowadays. This movement started in America where houses are massive and most people wouldn't need a space that big to live on. In Ireland and Europe your average house is not that big but most people would agree that if they get rid of a bunch of junk they don't need, they can easily move to a smaller space and have the same or better quality life and save in energy/heating costs not to speak of the time savings cleaning the space and the psychological effects (I'm not talking of hoarders but your average 90% of mortals)

PS I belong to the big group of people that would need to get rid of a bunch of crap I keep around the place

If these tiny houses on wheels are indeed compliant with building regs, warm, safe, comfortable and economical, it seems like the people in Ireland who would benefit from them the most are members of the traveling community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

All the negativity about these Tiny Houses.. I agree they are not for everyone, but they are a great idea.. People have become obsessed with having to own a house, and it has to be huge.. Why not go back to having a functional house.. Each room should be used as it is suppose to be.

"Are ypu aware of any research about the medium to long term impact of tiny-house living on mental health?"

I think this is more of a problem with big houses, at least with a small house you get out more.. A house really is for shelter not to spend all your days in...

Have you had any luck with this OP... Really interested in this idea, although i was think of a double decker bus conversion.. No where to doing anything about it now but i have started off a book as such with ideas and joined a few sites.. Would be really interested in any updates...

Advertisement