Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiny House Community in Co. Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The OP asked about County Dublin. Land is too valuable in the area imo for something like this to work even if the planners were amenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Lumen wrote: »
    If these tiny houses on wheels are indeed compliant with building regs, warm, safe, comfortable and economical, it seems like the people in Ireland who would benefit from them the most are members of the traveling community.

Like with many things in life is a question about knowing. To be honest it took me quite some time to find proper companies in Ireland doing this stuff as most of the resources I found were American or UK based. The tiny house movement in Ireland is at a very early stage.

The point Athtrasna is making about land is very good. So long as you don't have property land in Co. Dublin chances of getting something for a reasonable price would be very, very low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Are ypu aware of any research about the medium to long term impact of tiny-house living on mental health?

I can see it being fine for a while - but what happens if you have a fight with your partner and nowhere to go to cool off?

Conceivably it could cause a family feud, even.

Some research in the area would be good to see before lobbying for a planning exemption.

Well for starters we know commuting long distances has a massive negative impact on mental health, yet planners have no issues giving out planning to build houses "within commuting distance of Dublin" aka you will be driving 90 mins each way to do. I find if my commute is longer than 45mins each way, it stressing me out. 90 mins would put me and most people on edge

Tiny Houses are generally without mortgages. I think a lot of peoples mental health be a lot better if they were not worrying about paying the mortgage, rent etc. I think if you asked the tens of thousands who are living in a negative equity, poor quality apartment struggling to pay a mortgage to a vulture fund each month whether they think it is a superior way to live than a tiny houses as they have a room to go to over a dispute... I would hazard a lot of relationship issues are due to financial commitments and long distance commuting, both of which can be addressed with a tiny house.

OP if most councils wont allow studio apartments, I cant see them allowing a tiny house. They will be losing out on the massive fees they get on new builds, I say probably no LPT and the construction industry will be lobbying over safety concerns

I dont think a tiny house or micro-apartments are the future. Not everyone wants to spend €180k for a one bedroom apartment, that they just about sleep in.

In some states they give tiny houses to homeless people and in places like Utah, where they solved chronic homelessness. They reduced chronic homeless by 91%. But with the vested interests from the homeless 'charities' who receive €70-80k for each emergency bed per year. We are going to hear, that tiny houses are unsuitable for homeless people...

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459100751/utah-reduced-chronic-homelessness-by-91-percent-heres-how

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Having looked at attempts at this in the US, I can't see Dublin Corporation allowing a trailer park development. Because, dress them up as you wish, they are caravans or mobile homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Milly33 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

Seven 30-foot(?) shipping containers is about 156m2 - almost twice the size of a typical house.

Correction, based on the planning permission it is 185m2, including basement, so more than twice the size of a typical house. The shipping containers appear to be non-standard length and/or were cut to length.

Note they have a basement in a known flood zone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

At some stage we need to accept not everyone wants to live in 55sq meter unaffordable one bedroom apartment
    I'd love to live in a hovel/bedsit or whatever you want to call it anywhere close to Dublin city centre i.e. within a mile. But my betters in DCC say I don't really want to.

Having looked at attempts at this in the US, I can't see Dublin Corporation allowing a trailer park development. Because, dress them up as you wish, they are caravans or mobile homes.

Do you know 20m Americans live in trailers? They are actually high quality in the US and would be more common here, if there was not so much stigma over living in a trailer here.

What is so wrong with living in a trailer or mobile home? It is an affordable form of housing for 20m Americans. Housing is super cheap in a lot cities, but people prefer to live in trailers.

Most people and I would like to live in somewhat affordable housing. That is not an option with the building regs as is. I dont see why we can't give people alternative means to live in

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Do you know 20m Americans live in trailers? They are actually high quality in the US and would be more common here, if there was not so much stigma over living in a trailer here.

What is so wrong with living in a trailer or mobile home? It is an affordable form of housing for 20m Americans.

Ahh, I think you'll find that America has the same stigma attached to "trailer-trash" that Ireland has to certain sectors of its community.

Tiny-house enthusiasts are attempting to portray their preferred housing as different to this - but really it's looking much the same to many of us.

What I'm taking from this thread is that there are lots of opinions, but little research about the long-term effects.

I can see the merits in arguments either way: one of the issues with bedsits is that they encourage excessive drinking because people go to the pub a lot and use it as their living room. But they are affordable, and reduce commuting a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

They look very cute under a snowcapped mountain in Canada or with the decking & outdoor BBQ by a lake in the US - but the grim reality of coming 'home' to a bedsit portacabin & living with smelly boots & wet sweating clothes & damp towels nowhere to dry them or hang them would quickly run the novelty thin. As would tramping through a field to communal laundrettes or living on a mezzanine with no headspace listening to the endless whumpf of a diswasher below your feet, or having your bedclothes continiously stink of garlic or mince or parmesan.

Of course the biggest winner with this would be the councils - I can already see the que of locals outside the planning door waving their twenty euro notes to have their opposition to the cars, caravan site & ehem 'travellers'. Its all very well in Canada, but NIMBY. Particularly as these things usually work in clusters - once you start you're suddenly in a hub or have set a legal precedent for others. I can hear the horses hooves from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not tiny houses, but mobile homes:

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/835181290597072900

Note that they are mostly in the warmer areas.

No they dont... What is wrong with living in a trailer or mobile home.. It does'nt mean you are trash... I know my own aunt lives in a trailer park in US and they certainly are'nt trash.. It is the mentality here, if it is'nt bricks and mortar then it is'nt a house... T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Yep I could!!

....... wrote: »

A Caravan is not comparable to a mobile home. A mobile home has running water, electricity, sewage etc. In America, they have driveways, decks etc. They are designed to be lived in unlike a caravan which is what you said only used for a brief period during the year

Millions live in mobile home in hurricane states, so I can imagine what it is like in the odd storm we have a year versus sometimes dozens of hurricanes per year in Florida

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

....... wrote: »

That's a caravan or a motorcaravan.
    Mobile homes are, as the name suggests; mobile. But they are generally just moved to a site and remain there for their lifetime. They're connected to mains electricity/water and usually have a septic tank.

The distinction between potentially mobile, but static tiny houses and mobile homes is generally down to three issues; customisation to specific needs/tastes, location, and (no doubt about it) snobbery. Tiny houses are, in the main, a middle-class enterprise, while mobile homes are more of a blue collar thing.

The whole NZ house truck scene is interesting, given they've a similar climate to here, but probably too close to U.K. new age traveler arrangements to appeal to the local tiny house scene. https://www.facebook.com/nzhousetrucks/

Advertisement