If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Audio RSW12 help

Options
  • 24-02-2017 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

For the last couple of months my trusty RSW12 has started to hum when powered on. Its like a transformer hum but goes away after about 5 minutes. Its not a huge deal as I actually leave it powered on most of the time (yes i know bold)

Its weird though cause things like turning on the electric shower upstairs also starts it humming. All is plugged into a double socket beside the TV. I have a monster clean power double gang extension lead which it was plugged into. I changed to directly into the wall socket and made no difference. So it could be maybe a ground loop or it might be the start of the sub showing its age and dying. Its probaly more than ten years since i bought it from you.

So the question is :)

Do you think its dying? If so would you have anything nice in piano black with maybe a slightly smaller footprint that might be on special at the moment? It a heavy beast so Im assuming any sort of service or repair might be expensive.

Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,283 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi guys,

For the last couple of months my trusty RSW12 has started to hum when powered on. Its like a transformer hum but goes away after about 5 minutes. Its not a huge deal as I actually leave it powered on most of the time (yes i know bold)

Its weird though cause things like turning on the electric shower upstairs also starts it humming. All is plugged into a double socket beside the TV. I have a monster clean power double gang extension lead which it was plugged into. I changed to directly into the wall socket and made no difference. So it could be maybe a ground loop or it might be the start of the sub showing its age and dying. Its probaly more than ten years since i bought it from you.

So the question is :)

Do you think its dying? If so would you have anything nice in piano black with maybe a slightly smaller footprint that might be on special at the moment? It a heavy beast so Im assuming any sort of service or repair might be expensive.

Thanks,
    Mick
    Hi Mick,

The RSW12 is a fantastic sub. Without hearing the problem it's hard to diagnose but it could be the sign of a component on its way out. If something does go, it's usually the amp module and these can be costly to replace. Something like a shower will usually put a lot of strain on an electrical system (all the lights in my house dim when mine goes on!) but it's strange you are still getting the issue through a mains conditioner as it should be providing a steady current. Has it been getting worse over time?

If you are looking for a different sub with a smaller footprint I would definitely recommend the Monitor Audio radius series. They come in gloss black, have dual drivers and sound fantastic. The Radius 390 sub retails at £599 and would be a great replacement and a good bit neater.

I hope you have found this information helpful.

Many thanks

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.