Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying CB radios for Triathlon Race communication

• 24-02-2017 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys,

Am looking at possibly purchasing a set of CB radios to use during triathlon races that my club organises. One of the races we run is down in Kerry and, in large sections of the route, phone coverage is non-existent. We were thinking that some car based radios may function well to allow for our safety officers to be able to communicate no matter where they are positioned.

Unfortunately, I do not know anything about these radios so I have a few questions
    (Please forgive me if these are simple or stupid!)

1) Would these radios function well over this terrain? (mountainous area with a max distance between radios of no more than 20 miles as the crow flies)
    - If not, are there any other options?
    2) What make/model of radios would function best?
    3) Do the radios normally come with external antennae which can be attached to the vehicles to improve range?
    4) What price range are we looking at?
    5) Where would be the best place to buy? (online?)
    6) Is there an option to rent these radios anywhere?

Thanks for your help guys!
    Always looking to improve safety so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,778 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

You can do all you need with the exception of the range you want - up to 20miles in mountainous terrain with the legal limit is doubtful. Of course, it depends on conditions, etc.
    I'm using 30W and can sometimes barely reach or hear somebody the other side of the hill 15 miles from me, with a 5/8 vertical. Other times, it's fine. It varies, and is not to be relied on at that range, and especially not with only 4W available.
    For short hops in flat country, it can be excellent though.

Have a look at this site for some pointers on what cheap and simple legal sets are available - of course, you can possibly get them locally too, but the days of a CB store in every town are long gone.
    http://www.longcom.ie/products.aspx?cat=2&m=cb-radio

A cheap and simple starter set is this one..
    http://www.longcom.ie/product.aspx?id=572&p=crt-one
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

Advertisement