Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dier...Dire

Options
  • 24-02-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Chaps, I thnk its time to talk about Dier. After last seasons decent showing, although I always thought over-hyped because he was english, Dier is turning in to a bit of a liability when playing center half. I honestly think he's just better suited as a back up to wanyama in the middle. I actual dread it when hes in the first 11.
    Opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He was excellent last season at DM, which is his best position. I don't care if he wants to be a CB, he's just not good enough there. Maybe with a year or two of experience he can become good, but he's a liability when he plays there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Every time I see Dier and Davis list in the back four I think oh ****..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

For me Dier is a DM and is playing out of position as CB. If Poch wants to play 3 CBs at the back then why not use Wimmer as that is his natural position. If he doesn't trust Wimmer then why did he not sanction his release in January as the rumour mill suggested?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Daidy2011 wrote: »
    For me Dier is a DM and is playing out of position as CB. If Poch wants to play 3 CBs at the back then why not use Wimmer as that is his natural position. If he doesn't trust Wimmer then why did he not sanction his release in January as the rumour mill suggested?

Maybe cos he needs cover in case of injuries?

Good win today but Everton's second goal was on Eric

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

I think we are being a bit harsh on him, he had a good game yesterday, linked well with Walker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

GS11 wrote: »
    I think we are being a bit harsh on him, he had a good game yesterday, linked well with Walker.

And he is only 23 since January which is a child in Centre Back terms, especially one that played CM mostly last year. Its probably not relevant but he only costs us something like £4M. When you look at Utd, Liverpool, and the two Mancs, they would jump at him for £25M+ and probably throw in a free Mangala for good measure.

I was actually delighted that Everton got their second goal. A really valuable lesson about switching off and it didn't cost us. (we will probably lose a CL spot by one goal in goal diff now!). I would imagine Poch read the riot act after that one, despite us getting 3 points. For a manager that is gold dust.

I'm not giving out about Dier as a player, just think he is casual as a defender. He is young enough to get the hang of it though, Walker used to be like that and has mainly cut it out.

Good point about lesson learnt yesterday.

Advertisement