Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TaxBack

• 24-02-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I remember back in the day back home that one cold claim back tax paid if suddenly unemployed!?

Does anyone know if this is possible in the UK? If so what are the procedures?

I am currently employed but leaving London in a couple of months and was told this may be possible?

thanks

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

frag420 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I remember back in the day back home that one cold claim back tax paid if suddenly unemployed!?

Does anyone know if this is possible in the UK? If so what are the procedures?

I am currently employed but leaving London in a couple of months and was told this may be possible?

thanks

frAg

You can claim tax back if you dont work the full tax year. This will be based on what % of time you were living and working in the uk.

If you lived in the uk for less than 183 days a tax year i think you can get all of your tax back because you are classed as non resident.

The tax year runs until 5th april.
    If you leave now you might be entitled to a little back.
    If you leave on the 5th april you wont be entitled to anything back (assuming you lived here for 183 days or more. )
    If you leave after working for a few months in the new tax year you will be able to get all of your tax back as its unlikely you will have earned more than your personal allowance of 11.5k.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-leaving-the-uk-getting-your-tax-right-p85

EDIT: Personally I would stay in the UK until you use up the 2017/2018 personal allowance of 11.5k. That way when you leave you can get all of your tax back. Then when you arrive in (I assume Ireland) you will be treated as if you hadnt earned anything this year and will get all of the tax credits for that tax year too. Thats your best option and will make you alot of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Thanks for the reply.

Il be moving to NYC in June.
    Resigned from job last Nov and now doing some contract work and bar work until I leave, started in bar end of Dec and in the office three weeks ago so I won't have hit 11500 by the time I leave.

With this in mind what's my best option to get a max refund as will need as much as possible moving to NYC!

Again, thanks for your help on this!!

frAg
    You can claim tax back if you dont work the full tax year. This will be based on what % of time you were living and working in the uk.

If you lived in the uk for less than 183 days a tax year i think you can get all of your tax back because you are classed as non resident.

The tax year runs until 5th april.
    If you leave now you might be entitled to a little back.
    If you leave on the 4th april you wont be entitled to anything back (assuming you lived here for 183 days or more. )
    If you leave after working for a few months in the new tax year you will be able to get all of your tax back as its unlikely you will have earned more than your personal allowance of 11.5k.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-leaving-the-uk-getting-your-tax-right-p85

EDIT: Personally I would stay in the UK until you use up the 2017/2018 personal allowance of 11.5k. That way when you leave you can get all of your tax back. Then when you arrive in (I assume Ireland) you will be treated as if you hadnt earned anything this year and will get all of the tax credits for that tax year too. Thats your best option and will make you alot of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

frag420 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Il be moving to NYC in June.
    Resigned from job last Nov and now doing some contract work and bar work until I leave, started in bar end of Dec and in the office three weeks ago so I won't have hit 11500 by the time I leave.

With this in mind what's my best option to get a max refund as will need as much as possible moving to NYC!

Again, thanks for your help on this!!

frAg

If you were working fulltime up until november i assume you have already earned more than 11k since 6th April 2016 so you have already used your allowance.

If you work the remainder of this tax year (39 days) then you will likely get a little tax back from the year up to november. But probably not much unless there is a massively drastic different between what you were being paid and what your paid now.

On the 5th April your current employer should issue you with a P60. This will tell you everything you have earned in the financial year(6th April 2016 - 5th April 2017) and how much tax you paid.

Once you get your P60 you should go to http://stccalculator.hmrc.gov.uk/UserDetails.aspx and enter all your details. This will tell you if it was the correct amount of tax compared to your earnings. If you paid too much then you can apply for a refund.

If you work from the 6th April until June when you leave for NYC you can apply for a refund after you leave using the link i gave you before. You should get back pretty much all tax paid in this tax year as i assume you are unlikely to earn over 11.5k in less than 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Thanks again for the details reply.

I have taken a 60% pay cut since leaving my last job in Nov...and would have earned well in excess of the 11.5k up until then.

Will follow your advice once I get p60 in April...

Thanks

frAg

Advertisement