Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced to engage with a user

Options
  • 24-02-2017 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

There a small number of posters on this site (usually the same forum members and back slapping thankers) who continually post large chunks of text in response to another poster. Sometimes these are taken from their own blogs or pre-made presumed responses.

I take it their is no obligation to engage with these posters and simply ignore and move on, regardless of mod views?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not sure what you mean here but I don't think engaging with any other poster is mandatory. The ignore function is even there to facilitate non engaging with people. Why would a mod tell you to reply or interact with specific posters? It doesn't make sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I take it their is no obligation to engage with these posters and simply ignore and move on, regardless of mod views?

I would be interested to know the context here but in general 5 Star is correct.
    If it is one of my categories I would be happy to look into it for you. Alternatively you might pm another cmod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Guessing the context here, but one may be that if you make a point, and others call you out on it, a mod may ask you to back it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I can only think of a scenario where a mod might insist that you back up a claim of some kind (like poster X has requested) but that's about supporting claims rather than responding to a particular poster.

Certainly in AH, posters ignore other posters' questions, requests for links, etc, all the time, and I've never seen a mod insist that they respond to another poster's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Before this gets into any further speculation, there was no case of anyone being 'forced to engage with a user'. While the Valeyard's interest in the proper management of the forum is appreciated, it would be helpful to re-read the preceding posts, and my mod post before commenting further.

No-one was told that they had to respond or engage with another poster, my mod post was misinterpreted. The post (my mod post) was reported and the forum mods have resolved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

looksee wrote: »
    Before this gets into any further speculation, there was no case of anyone being 'forced to engage with a user'. While the Valeyard's interest in the proper management of the forum is appreciated, it would be helpful to re-read the preceding posts, and my mod post before commenting further.

No-one was told that they had to respond or engage with another poster, my mod post was misinterpreted. The post (my mod post) was reported and the forum mods have resolved it.

I've gone through yours and the OPs posts, and I've still no idea what's the context is :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    I've gone through yours and the OPs posts, and I've still no idea what's the context is :D
    You need to use the seven sided illuminati key ring from the 2016 summoning to resolve it; it works on everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Once it has been resolved that is fine.

Certain users are using large walls of text to block debate or stifle conversation. It is typed and brought in from another blog.

Few of us just now ignore these posters and do not engage when they quote our post or try to insult passive aggressively.

Just making sure from earlier when a user was told to leave and try Twitter instead because he did not want to engage in another user in this manner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ignore is a good function to have. It has stopped me smashing my laptop against the wall a couple of times. Unfortunately as a mod I can't use it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I do still believe that this was poorly handled, it seems 'safe spaces' exist on certain forums, but suppose that's the way of life.

I will like other users continue to ignore this person in particular, probably by ignore button or just refuse to engage, even when they drag you into a thread by mentioning you went you are not even involved.

Cheers for the response though, enjoy what's left of the weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

... even when they drag you into a thread by mentioning you went you are not even involved.

If they do, report that post.

Advertisement