Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Looking at this it seems to me that there could be an interesting thundery breakdown next Monday .... if it even happens as its a long way off.

UW120-21.GIF?14-19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Looking at this it seems to me that there could be an interesting thundery breakdown next Monday .... if it even happens as its a long way off.

UW120-21.GIF?14-19

Would love a good thunderstorm but not on Monday as it would end our warm spell too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

So happy that disgusting lump of rain JUST missed us
    Still have to get the lawn cut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Those temperatures that Spain is getting would be a nightmare.
    The humidity would be lethal.
    I go to Italy every year to visit family and it's usually around the 35 degree mark and then 28 at night.
    It's horrible and there is no ac where we stay as my grandmother refuses it.
    We've had the misfortune of being in a 40+ degree city on the coast and the sea would do nothing to cool you down.
    Give me 23 and and no wind than 4 months of 35 degree weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

bear1 wrote: »
    Those temperatures that Spain is getting would be a nightmare.
    The humidity would be lethal.
    I go to Italy every year to visit family and it's usually around the 35 degree mark and then 28 at night.
    It's horrible and there is no ac where we stay as my grandmother refuses it.
    We've had the misfortune of being in a 40+ degree city on the coast and the sea would do nothing to cool you down.
    Give me 23 and and no wind than 4 months of 35 degree weather.

The humidity would be very low?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Gonzo wrote: »
    those sorts of temperatures are quite normal in Spain up to early September, places like Seville often have 38C+ for days, sometimes weeks on end. In a proper heatwave the temps can hit 40C and more right on the coast and then the upper 40s in places like Seville, even Madrid and inland Murcia.

I can't imagine 1 day of that here. If it happened there would still be people drinking beer in that sun without suncream and they would be in hospital the next day. Our roads would start melting, particularly the side roads. Most parts of Ireland struggle to see 25C on 1 day a year, I think we're very safe from every seeing temps go much beyond 31C.

Lived in Madrid for 15 months and its a much drier heat they get as high above sea level. Low humidity n many swimming pools so I found it grand. Went to Barcelona one week in the early 2000s and it was humid and 43c and that was unbearable.

30c here feels much the same as 40c in Madrid

When the arctic sea ice is gone in Summer we may get temps of 30 to 35c

This year has been a very warm one IMT wise in the Northwest. If we get no month thats way colder than average it will likely be our warmest year on record

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    Lived in Madrid for 15 months and its a much drier heat they get as high above sea level. Low humidity n many swimming pools so I found it grand. Went to Barcelona one week in the early 2000s and it was humid and 43c and that was unbearable.

30c here feels much the same as 40c in Madrid

When the arctic sea ice is gone in Summer we may get temps of 30 to 35c

This year has been a very warm one IMT wise in the Northwest. If we get no month thats way colder than average it will likely be our warmest year on record

In my opinion, we're overdue a very warm year anyway. In the 2010s so far, there has not been any really warm years besides 2014 but we haven't had a record breaking warm year across Ireland since 2007, exactly 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It's not a popular view here but it's really a crappy night again here. It's breezy it's cool and it's damp. It was getting dark at 9pmthis month has been a disaster so far. Hopefully the weekend brings us good weather but from what I gather here it's only temporary. I'm sure some of the cork Waterford Limerick posters will agree with me on tonight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's not a popular view here but it's really a crappy night again here. It's breezy it's cool and it's damp. It was getting dark at 9pmthis month has been a disaster so far. Hopefully the weekend brings us good weather but from what I gather here it's only temporary. I'm sure some of the cork Waterford Limerick posters will agree with me on tonight.

in fairness it's been poor across most of the country in general. This week's farming forecast showed rain totals between 200 and 400% above normal for much of the country for the first 12 days of this month. Only 2 totally dry days here so far this month and today was one of them, we managed to escape with a pleasantly warmish/mild day today, even tho it was windy, the sun was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

MidMan25 wrote: »
    The humidity would be very low?

I think there is a term for it, relative humidity?
    So if 2 places have the same temperature but one has low humidity and the other high humidity then the place with the high humidity will feel hotter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

In for a warm weekend. HIRLAM showing the highest temps for Fri from the few main models I looked at, others showing 20 -23C . Temps peaking early evening. Looks set to be very humid making it feel warmer.

MCZphvL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

Remaining Dry and warming up again next week on the latest 18z GFS,in a south easterly flow,shifting warmth westwards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

next week is starting to look fairly decent now, although the north-west and far west may be prone to more unsettled conditions from Tuesday onwards. All it takes is a tiny shift in both directions meaning we will either have cool Atlantic muck or warm continental conditions. Much of England looks like holding onto the warm continental air for the rest of this month so warm air never far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Monthly weather forecast for the UK

A fine spell early in the period but otherwise cloudy and increasingly wet
    Updated 14th June 2017 - Covering the period 19th June - 11th July

next week looking more unsettled again, the latter part of June onwards looks fairly wet and crap at the moment,not a great start to july either out to mid month.
    sorry to peee in everyones coffee.

Monthly weather forecast for the UK

A fine spell early in the period but otherwise cloudy and increasingly wet
    Updated 14th June 2017 - Covering the period 19th June - 11th July

next week looking more unsettled again, the latter part of June onwards looks fairly wet and crap at the moment,not a great start to july either out to mid month.
    sorry to peee in everyones coffee.

if that's true, a few warm days over the next few days is not gonna save what has largely been a cool, windy and extremely wet month.

Could the building heat next week go out with a BANG!

ukcapeli.png

ukstormrisk.png

ukmaxtemp.png

No Bang yet

Imagine its just 11c in Knock today and 12c in Claremorris

Rain has just cleared here,very cool out,I'm afraid we might have to wait till monday untill the pig muck has cleared itself out of the system,looks like a return to more standard gloom,low cloud,mist,etc for friday,saturday and sunday,plaguing the west and northwest,continuing to surpress temperatures down to 14 or 15,have to wait till monday untill we get a bit of heat,by which time the fine spell we never had could be coming to an end,unfortunately,or it possiby may hang on into next week,hopefully...as the rest of june is looking grim at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

pauldry wrote: »
    No Bang yet

Imagine its just 11c in Knock today and 12c in Claremorris
    The bang may happen if we get into the mid 20s as some forcasters are predicting this weekend.

Today is another pretty rubbish day.

• Advertisement

Today was one of our worst days

Really cold n heats on.

Windy n wet a lot.

At least 17c n drizzle will feel warmer. Going to travel SE until i reach sun at weekend.

Mayo Donegal n Sligo get their Summers in April n May

Actually suns come out a bit the last hour. It's windy but at least the gloom is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another terrible day today in Donegal, a mix of rain, drizzle, mist and low cloud all day, cold as well. I've been back in the country for three weeks now and can't recall a single dry, pleasant day in that time, gotta love our climate..

Horrible morning in east Galway
    Dull grey cold with very heavy drizzle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

km79 wrote: »
    Horrible morning in east Galway
    Dull grey cold with very heavy drizzle

Ditto in West Clare, I actually had a laugh when I looked out the window this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

Another terrible day today in Donegal, a mix of rain, drizzle, mist and low cloud all day, cold as well. I've been back in the country for three weeks now and can't recall a single dry, pleasant day in that time, gotta love our climate..

The weather actually hasn't been THAT bad in Dublin all week. It's amazing the difference a few miles can make. It's been quite dry with temps between 18-20 every day. There's been very little sun though and the forecast has been constantly changing (which is annoying as you can't plan anything outdoors) but overall, in retrospect, it's been OK. I haven't had to bring out the umbrella the past week which is always a good sign!

This weekend and next week is looking warm and dryish too. Again, if you're near Atlantic coasts, it may not be great though.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ditto in West Clare, I actually had a laugh when I looked out the window this morning.

I had the lawn left to cut
    Ah well tomorrow is another day

perhaps a cheeky 26 degrees tomorrow in the Dublin region,
    a rather subdued 14 in the west.:rolleyes:

England is particularly hot,reaching the magic 30,temperatures in the mid twenties for the foreseeable future there.Theyre having a cracking Summer.

nmmuktempnew.png

next week looking warm at the moment,especially further south...

uktemp.087.png

uktemp.111.png

uktemp.135.png

• Advertisement

yep, most of England is having an amazing summer so far. The south-east has mostly been in the 20s since mid May and very little rain.

Currently 16C and very cloudy here, it's hard to imagine that warm weather is on the way. Hopefully the sun will break here soon. We may sneak a 24C or 25C over the course of the weekend which is good enough for me!. BBC has us down for 26C tomorrow. For me it's the sun shining that makes the bigger difference.

All next week is starting to look good as well now, Temps here should be in the 20s for the majority of the next 7 days.

Advertisement