Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Today's Sat pic from NASSA

b3P7z0S.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Phoenix Park at 26C on met.ie.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

sryanbruen wrote: »
    But ENSO neutral summers that were preceded by Weak La Nina winters are not. Very unsettled actually.

You'll have to show me which one's were unsettled Syran.
    I know you can have it unsettled in the west and dry in the southeast.
    July 2013 being an example of such and that was an ENSO neutral time after a La Nina the year before.
    It's hard to know which way to look at it but ENSO neutral doesn't seem to effect the west of Ireland as much only really the southeast and then Europe further afield (in dry conditions or mean daily pressure readings, I mean).
    You can't really just say ENSO has this effect and not that effect though as there are tons of other factors at play as well that I don't really understand. ( I'd love to know the person that can 100% know all the weather mechanisms of this planet and mechanisms from outside this planet).:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Supercell wrote: »
    Phoenix Park at 26C on met.ie.
    ....... I think its time I got a new thermometer, 22.6c in my backyard? ... 25c at the airport a few kms away. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

In London at the moment and it has just crept over the 30C point, glad I am not back home judging by the satelite pic for the west.

• Advertisement

Can I say it?

It's too hot. Not normal for this country.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Can I say it?

Get
    Out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

30.1 here in Terenure. But have a feeling my cheap weather station is having heat stroke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford - Disappointing max of 21.2 due to the sea breeze I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You'll have to show me which one's were unsettled Syran.
    I know you can have it unsettled in the west and dry in the southeast.
    July 2013 being an example of such and that was an ENSO neutral time after a La Nina the year before.
    It's hard to know which way to look at it but ENSO neutral doesn't seem to effect the west of Ireland as much only really the southeast and then Europe further afield (in dry conditions or mean daily pressure readings, I mean).
    You can't really just say ENSO has this effect and not that effect though as there are tons of other factors at play as well that I don't really understand. ( I'd love to know the person that can 100% know all the weather mechanisms of this planet and mechanisms from outside this planet).:p

Winter 2012/13 - the Winter before July 2013 was neutral though. It did not have La Nina or El Nino.

Here is a pressure reanalysis on ENSO neutral summers that followed weak La Nina winters:

GJ3eT14.png

• Advertisement

Can I say it?

This is not far out of the ordinary. Temperatures are only somewhat above the expected "monthly" maximums for June. A normal June in Ireland should record a maximum in the range 22-25c. Every June since 2008 - I think 2008, has successfully reached maximums in this range even though it may not feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Today's Sat pic from NASSA

b3P7z0S.jpg?1

Wow we got VERY lucky here today so
    I'd have been RAGING

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

27C here, sea breeze dying down, had a BBQ, not just the meat got cooked. One of those rare Irish days where sitting in the shade still feels warm.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

9 more days 'til the 130th anniversary of Ireland's warmest day on record, 26th June 1887. I said I was going to do an article of June 1887 in memory of this and I have, I've had it done for a few weeks now. Just waiting on Monday, June 26th to come. You will see it posted in the Irish Weather Statistics thread on that day.

I MAY have another surprise up my sleeve :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

26.8C recorded @ Phoenix Park mentioned on the six-one weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Waterford - Disappointing max of 21.2 due to the sea breeze I suspect.

What was it like out on the coast Harry do you know? Was going to go to Tramore tomorrow.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Winter 2012/13 - the Winter before July 2013 was neutral though. It did not have La Nina or El Nino.
    I'm afraid your head might explode.:p

But does any of that matter what preceded the summer?

Say the last ENSO reading was 0.4 for March April may. Should we not look for a similar MAM reading and see what the weather was like for that 0.4?
    However all said and done we still don't know whether the next reading for next month will go up or down. We can look at trends and predict but it's still no certainty.

I'm afraid your head might explode.:p

But does any of that matter what preceded the summer?

Say the last ENSO reading was 0.4 for March April may. Should we not look for a similar MAM reading and see what the weather was like for that 0.4?
    However all said and done we still don't know whether the next reading for next month will go up or down. We can look at trends and predict but it's still no certainty.

The only reason I said that was because you incorrectly said this here:

As everybody has said with anything that are theories involving things like ENSO or the weather conditions of a year, it will never be the same again - just like what you're trying to say there with your last sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Gloom,gloom and you guessed it more gloom. Travelled from louisburgh to castlebar today but it just wouldnt clear properly,back now at the coast and its pityful.lighting a fire,like an evening in late March.
    Nothing more depressing than being cheated out of the long days and fine weather at the height of the summer,while the rest of the country is scortching.

looks like its going to continue this way untill the fine spell breaks down.

christ.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Max Temps Rounded for today.

Ogimet

rb2CMrb.jpg?1

• Advertisement

This is getting way too serious and being taken seriously for a weather discussion on boards.:rolleyes:

But anyway here.

Neutral is black.
    La Nina is blue.
    El Nino is red.
    2012 precedes 2013.
    La Nina was in 2012.
    screenshot_1.png

This is getting way too serious and being taken seriously for a weather discussion on boards.:rolleyes:

But anyway here.

Neutral is black.
    La Nina is blue.
    El Nino s red.
    2012 precedes 2013.
    La Nino was in 2012.
    screenshot_1.png

Yes, it is serious as any weather discussion that I think should be. Weather is a very serious thing. Weather can "seriously" brighten up your day or be a very harmful effect on you which is a main reason why I got a huge interest in it. I want to know all I can about Weather.

Have a look at my El Nino/La Nina chart here showing all the previous ENSO events: (and yes I meant 1950-51, NOT 1850-51 in the Weak La Nina column)

v3Xndx3.png

Winter 2011/12, when the weak La Nina took place, has nothing to do with July 2013. I don't think ENSO has even anything to do with July 2013 in the first place. July 2013 was to do with a positive AO, NAO and the jet stream on a very northerly track. Some other factors that I'm not aware of could also have been responsible for it.

Anyway, I rest my case. Back to the hear and now, still continuous blue skies at Grange! I could have my first 16.0 hours of sunshine day since June 2014.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Gloom,gloom and you guessed it more gloom. Travelled from louisburgh to castlebar today but it just wouldnt clear properly,back now at the coast and its pityful.lighting a fire,like an evening in late March.
    Nothing more depressing than being cheated out of the long days and fine weather at the height of the summer,while the rest of the country is scortching.

looks like its going to continue this way untill the fine spell breaks down.

christ.
    Just emigrate from Mayo like any sensible lad.

screenshot_1.png

I still shouldn't have to read that crap.
    But anyway this is a chatroom you get crap sometimes.

I'll say no more on the subject. Moving on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

High today here was 27.7c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Max Temps Rounded for today.
    According to Gerry Murphy today's official max was 26.8c at the Phoenix Park.
    22.8c here at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Supercell wrote: »
    One of those rare Irish days where sitting in the shade still feels warm.

Absolutely. My balcony is in the shade in the evening and it still felt balmy. Very rare indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

My highest today was 26.8c at 18:25 Wicklow town. Normally gets warmer here towards evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

My max today was 25.5c,don't like it too warm but it's a lovely evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dublin City centre is like a furnace

Advertisement