Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A high of 14C and raining in Donegal once again after yet another overcast day. With tomorrow looking like another repeat that'll be two weeks since the temp reached 16C here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

past 2 days have felt pleasantly warm here, although tonight is not great with some rain. At least the bitterly cold conditions of last week seem behind us now. Some decent temps over the next few days, although there won't be much in the way of blue skies.

I see the promise of decent fine spell is continually getting pushed back much like a cold snap. Looking like it won't be till at least the 20th before something hopeful arrives here if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    past 2 days have felt pleasantly warm here, although tonight is not great with some rain. At least the bitterly cold conditions of last week seem behind us now. Some decent temps over the next few days, although there won't be much in the way of blue skies.

It's been a pretty boring 3 days start to July here. Boring but not terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Gonzo wrote: »

I see the promise of decent fine spell is continually getting pushed back much like a cold snap. Looking like it won't be till at least the 20th before something hopeful arrives here if at all.

I don't know which is more irritating, describing last week as "bitterly cold" or writing off the next 17 days when forecasting beyond 5 is futile.

Can we get a separate moaning thread please mods?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

MidMan25 wrote: »
    I don't know which is more irritating, describing last week as "bitterly cold" or writing off the next 17 days when forecasting beyond 5 is futile.

Can we get a separate moaning thread please mods?

I am not moaning, just reporting reality. We lit the fire twice last week and had heating on as well.It got down to single digits last week and in final week of June that is very cold imo. That's over with now.

I haven't written off summer or July, the next really good spell of weather could be a few weeks away but that doesn't mean there won't be some nice days. Temps into the low 20s over next few days and then again early next week possibly mid 20s in Leinster and parts of Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Bleak, miserable day in Galway City today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The same here in Clare, brutally miserable since I returned from holidays, but I don't understand why people decide in their own minds that there's no good weather coming, when the only thing suggesting this is a melancholy mood.

Today was dire altogether. Rain stopped around 6, up to then visibility was around 2km in a heavy drizzle all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭pauldry

This evening pretty chilly n wet. Have to put heat on again.

Over 10mm of rain now for only the 6th or 7th time all year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭pauldry

Actually (very bad to post twice in a row) it seems to me two things

Why do people expect good Summers in Ireland?
    Normal weather for the position on the North Atlantic is mist and drizzle and also most weeks for the past 50 Summers are 1 wet day a few showery ones and one or two dry ones.

So this is normal.

About 12 to 15% of Irish Summers are good

It also seems to me that the Arctic melt has been caused by a more bendy jetstream and this is turn is cooling our climate "for now". Will an iceless Arctic in Summer 2040 still mean cool jets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

pauldry wrote: »

Normal weather for the position on the North Atlantic is mist and drizzle and also most weeks for the past 50 Summers are 1 wet day a few showery ones and one or two dry ones.

So this is normal.

It's because people's expectations are now higher mainly comes with increased affluence, coupled with more holidays/trips abroad to warmer climes coupled again with the Irish ability to use the topic of the current weather conditions as a conversation starter.

So ergo, 15 degrees in the summer is a disaster.

This also holds true for winter conditions in Ireland and 8 degrees is a disaster especially when one has just come back from a skiing trip with 4ft of snow and -10 degrees temperature.;) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

So this is normal.

It also seems to me that the Arctic melt has been caused by a more bendy jetstream and this is turn is cooling our climate "for now". Will an iceless Arctic in Summer 2040 still mean cool jets

mainly due to charts like this,being teased by prior experiences of exceptionally fine weather in the country and the fact were not a country like Iceland,where id imagine there is more realism when it comes to accepting how hideous their summers are...but there we are, always teetering on the brink of something amazing that can never be grasped.

its like dangling 500 euro bill notes in front of a homeless person,and asking them why cant you just accept your poor!!!???

that is why we expect good weather in Summer,that is why.

ukmaxtemp.png

mainly due to charts like this,being teased by prior experiences of exceptionally fine weather in the country and the fact were not a country like Iceland,where id imagine there is more realism when it comes to accepting how hideous their summers are...but there we are, always teetering on the brink of something amazing that can never be grasped.

its like dangling 500 euro bill notes in front of a homeless person,and asking them why cant you just accept your poor!!!???

that is why we expect good weather in Summer,that is why.

ukmaxtemp.png

I've seen charts like that countless times, sometimes for weeks on end, It really is sickening. We got lucky last month where we managed to just about get a few days of heat, and even that didn't make it as far as the north-west.

8 times out of 10 Ireland is a cool, damp, mucky drizzely mess while England and Wales have mediterranean warmth and blue skies, it can be very hard to take that we get shafted by as little as 100 miles nearly every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

So this is normal.

We don't really get any weather in Ireland other than damp, dull conditions, especially in the west of the country. Other countries in Europe get weather. Ireland does not.

Heavy drizzle again, and here's me thinking today could actually be nice.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Heavy drizzle again, and here's me thinking today could actually be nice.

Why were you thinking today was going to be nice?

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Why were you thinking today was going to be nice?

As it said it'd be dry in the southwest, as the map backed this up with broken clouds and sunshine.

However, nice to see they've changed their minds on the forecast this morning, pushing the niceness to the southeast.

Sunnyish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

some fun and games on Thursday for England

ukstormrisk.png

ukcapeli.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

some fun and games on Thursday for England

ukstormrisk.png

ukcapeli.png

I might see some of that action, it's gotten very warm here in the last 2 hours,mid twenties forecast for the next few days with threats of thunderstorms by Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford is rain free again (not necessarily a good thing in my line of work though) As with recent days it began overcast and then brightened up through the morning to reveal a lovely day if a bit humid though the breeze took the worst off that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Dull overcast not hot not cold. Just typical Irish summer day.

zerks wrote: »
    I might see some of that action, it's gotten very warm here in the last 2 hours,mid twenties forecast for the next few days with threats of thunderstorms by Thursday.

Mid Twenties? Where are you Spain?

there was tallk from met eireann about 24C tomorrow and Thursday a few days ago, but this has since been downgraded to 20-22C at best.

Finally had over an hour of Sun this evening, feels like the first time I seen proper sun in about a week. Hopefully there will be some decent sunny spells and more dryness between now and Friday.

I'm across the pond,it went from cloudy but mild to very warm this afternoon. Forecast for cloudless skies and mid twenties temps from UKMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pond is the Atlantic, the Irish sea is water :)

Another boring day yet again here with some sunny spells but mostly cloudy, dry and humid.

Pond is the Atlantic, the Irish sea is water :)

I wouldn't like to try swim it. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I have no weather station to back this up but we have had very pleasant, sunny weather for the majority of the past three weeks.

Southern tip of east Waterford.

bit of warmth here this evening, got up to 20C earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

19 degrees here in Cork at 9pm. Feeling very pleasant indeed.

Advertisement