Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ahhh....George Sunsnow! :P You are very welcome to Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh Man.....;)

Here in the Deise its clouded over in a very light way (raised sea fog I suppose), not oppressive but no direct sun either. 21 c

Some showers just off the coast according to met.ie but their track looks like keeping them out to sea.

edit that - the cloud has broken as the shower band passed by and now it's roasting!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It's like an endless anticyclonic gloom here this July so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very dissapointing here too, no sun whatsoever, feeling warm but it's wasted on all this cloud.

I had high hopes that this Summer would have been a bit better than this at this stage. Ireland get's shafted with atlantic muck as usual, while most of this summer has been another world just across the water in England and Wales.

Looks mostly cool and unsettled right up to July 15th, after that it looks like we may have a shot at something but the cool muck will never be far away from our north-west.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Blue skies and warm sunshine here in castlebar and feeling very pleasant with little or no wind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭pauldry

Fair day in Sligo 19c

Ill take this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It's like an endless anticyclonic gloom here this July so far.
    endless!!! One good week out of five so far this summer and many didn't even get that. My rating so far: 3/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,213 ✭✭✭✭km79

Brightened up in East Galway after a gloomy start
    Dry and warm
    Happy enough !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

endless!!! One good week out of five so far this summer and many didn't even get that. My rating so far: 3/10.

June was a 5/10 from me. July has been a 5/10 from me also.

Alarmingly average.

I was very lucky in June to record the conditions I had. It was very warm, close to average sunshine and wet. Overall, pretty average considering those.

July has been nothing exciting. Just cloud after cloud with some sunny spells in between. Temperatures bang on average also. Thus why it's a 5/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

rain here now
    At least it's warm rain 20.6c
    You'd have nearly expected a bang with it traveling through this heat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

for me so far June was a 4/10, those 4 points going to the 5 days of dryness and warmth. July so far has been a 3/10, the 3 points are to celebrate that there hasn't been downpours every day. Barely any sunshine here since the last settled spell ended over 2 weeks ago. There has been light rain or drizzle of some description almost every day since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gonzo wrote: »
    for me so far June was a 4/10, those 4 points going to the 5 days of dryness and warmth. July so far has been a 3/10, the 3 points are to celebrate that there hasn't been downpours every day. Barely any sunshine here since the last settled spell ended over 2 weeks ago. There has been light rain or drizzle of some description almost every day since.

I dunno I think I'd prefer downpours every day then this crap we have today. At least it would be interesting

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Not a bad day here so far, just had a prolonged light rain shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pad199207 wrote: »
    I dunno I think I'd prefer downpours every day then this crap we have today. At least it would be interesting

So you'd love both?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

zerks wrote: »
    The worst weather is the grey dullness that we get long periods of.No rain,no sun,just bloody grey,you'd lose all concept of time in it. Give me endless blue skies over that any day..... With good storms for the winter.
    I agree to extent. That low stratus, light white grey damp dullness that is so common in Ireland is repulsive. Overcastness courtesy of a higher, denser cloud base though is different and makes for some interesting skyscapes such as yesterday evening.

New Moon

Rain lasted about 2 mins ,sun back out and now up at 22c again :)

Another light shower here, not a bad day at all otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Pretty lovely in D7, dry, sunny, a little breeze. Good fence painting weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Billcarson wrote: »
    I reckon a summer not much better then average with brief bursts of heat from time to times.

Still think the same, a nothing special summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I agree to extent. That low stratus, light white grey damp dullness that is so common in Ireland is repulsive. Overcastness courtesy of a higher, denser cloud base though is different and makes for some interesting skyscapes such as yesterday evening.

Yeah yesterday was the best day in a long time here in Donegal, still overcast but so much nicer with bright high cloud instead of the depressing mucky stratus we've had all summer.

Incidentally said stratus had returned today with mist and drizzle, the joys..

• Advertisement

Just back from an afternoon visiting friends down in a caravan park in ballymoney near Courtown
    A real sun trap of a place it was like being in France somewhere
    Car thermostat was reading 23 but it felt a lot hotter
    Two large outdoor pools both busy only a little over an hour South of Dublin!

got up to 21C here a while ago, very little sun today, maybe 5 minutes in total. very grey and dull now again.

Still quite sunny here in Arklow,just gorgeous in fact
    There's some evidence of convection trying to get going which isn't surprising
    Real shorts and t shirt weather though
    Amazing contrasts on our little island
    I'll shut up now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Got up to 19.5C in Castlebar today, first time in about 10 days though we got more than 2 hours of unbroken sunshine, we have been covered in cloud mostly during the mornings and afternoons, but with some lovely clear evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Heavy rain again in Donegal, 14C with low visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

So fu$kin dark in Dublin this evening.

alentejo wrote: »
    So fu$kin dark in Dublin this evening.

Same here, felt weird having to put the light on so early in the evening!!

this 2 day fine spell got continually downgraded till we ended up with an average day and unsettled in some parts. Met Eireann called today's conditions unsettled so I guess the unsettled theme remains unbroken and carrys on as far as mid July. Hopefully something better and more summer like conditions will make it our way for the second half of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Still very grim along the West coast with temps struggling to get to the mid-teens in a strong SW wind. Pretty much every day since the start of June has been like this with no let up in sight. Weird really cos most poor summers in those parts are caused by HP over Greenland/Iceland. Theres been none of that this year and still we are getting these conditions. Looking at the weather charts doesn't help either as we appear to have a lot of warm air over most of the Atlantic at our latitude just to the West and obviously plenty of heat just to our East, its just a tiny wedge of low upper temps that appears to be damming us for these last few weeks:(

• Advertisement

Ah it's not been that bad in the East and tbh Glorious in Wexford Gonzo!
    Doc I see had a high above 22c today

It's still 17.6c here in Rural south wicklow with some sun still creeping through until settling
    Can't complain about that !

Advertisement