Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Beautiful day in Donegal, barely a cloud in the sky. Windy and cool but anything that doesn't involve endless greyness is fine with me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Too far out at this stage but next week is looking absolutely super!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Turned into a lovely bright evening in Castlebar in the last half hour, hopefully it's a good sign for tomorrow and the forecast stays on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭pauldry

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Too far out at this stage but next week is looking absolutely super!

I was seeing that too. But as you say too far out.

Still on Gavs weather videos hes been hinting at a warm 2nd half of July for some time ...as in

"It does look like we could have some very high temperatures in the 2nd part of July"

Certainly 20s but you know the way on July 19th its always 30c ...well i booked next week off.

Fingers crossed though GFS had 15c and rain only 2 days ago so it depends how far north the jetstream goes with this weekends gusty winds

Surely the South of Ireland will be ok. We booked there coz I reckoned even if good the North can have cloud and mist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

21.3C in Castlebar currently, the warmest it has been in 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

The super outlook for next week continues today with the models but the GFS wants it turn to fresher and cooler by Thursday after a thundery breakdown in England & Wales. However, the ECMWF retains the Azores High over the country up to day 10, Saturday, July 22nd.

We will hit the mid twenties frequently and record plenty of sunshine as well if this comes off. Let's hope it continues to trend on the models as we get closer to the reliable timeframe.

Right now for the south of Ireland, the weekend is looking very good again. Unfortunately for Donegal Storm and the rest up in the north, it's looking **** once again :P for the weekend at least, not next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Glorious day in the Deise, far too warm to be actually working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Lovely day here too bit breezy now and turning cloudy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great day today and some badly need sunshine for the morale! plenty of cumulus bubbled up around the country and more so over mountainous areas as can be seen in George Sunsnow's pic from Arklow in the current weather conditions thread from this morning. Decent temperaures for most today. Got up to 22.1C at my site here near Tralee.

Nassa

00ilunZ.jpg?1

Ogimet

PLbPEnq.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Right now for the south of Ireland, the weekend is looking very good again. Unfortunately for Donegal Storm and the rest up in the north, it's looking **** once again :P for the weekend at least, not next week.

We had two good sunny days yesterday and Tuesday at least, better than we managed in the whole of June. Back to drizzle and low cloud today

Looks like more of the same for the week ahead with unsettled westerlies.

Only thing of note I can see is a potential plume setup next week if the LP on the 18th digs in more, at the moment models are sending it into France and SE England but something to keep an eye on, it's been an extremely un-thundery summer so far.

• Advertisement

Sun out after dull day with about 20 mins of light rain earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

the super outlook for next week has now turned super rubbish,with a breakdown around wednesday,the azores high was previously showing an attempt to ridge up acroos ireland and extend into scandinavia,bringing widespread summer conditions to all of ireland.far out into fantasy island looks pretty grim.

as for the weekend,more of the same muck,cool,misty drizzly gloom in a southwest flow in the west,northwest,drier,brighter and considerably warmer in the east/southeast. might scrape a day out of it next week.

couldnt care less anymore now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,213 ✭✭✭✭km79

the super outlook for next week has now turned super rubbish,with a breakdown around wednesday,the azores high was previously showing an attempt to ridge up acroos ireland and extend into scandinavia,bringing widespread summer conditions to all of ireland.far out into fantasy island looks pretty grim.

Today is grim too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

We had two good sunny days yesterday and Tuesday at least
    Consider yourself lucky. One sunny day here (yesterday) and that was it.

New Moon

Met Éireann:

TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY: Current indications suggest the middle days of next week will be predominantly dry with warm sunny spells developing. Typical daytime maxima will range 20 to 24 degrees, but it will be a few degrees cooler near northern and eastern coasts due to onshore breezes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

21c in Arklow and sunny
    No complaints:)

There are two Irelands this summer. The South East quadrant and everyone else basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

4pm met reports, Moorepark in Cork doing nicely, 22 degrees.

Next week is only looking grim to me if you're solely basing on the UKMO and GFS. Other (better imo) models such as the ECMWF aren't looking grim at all.

Aye,the ECM is fine,Is not get concerned yet

Cloudier here now and breezy but still a respectable 17.7c for 8pm in the evening

• Advertisement

There's a decaying shelf cloud now due south of Arklow over the Irish Sea
    2nd photo is the north edge of it looking due east at what looks like a decaying CB

Met Éireann now saying:
    Monday: Warm, dry and fairly sunny with highs of 19 to 23 C. Light variable winds will be moderate in local sea breezes.

Tuesday: Warm and rather breezy on Tuesday, with moderate southeast breezes increasing fresh locally. Sunny in the morning, with sunshine turning more hazy in nature later in the day. Top temperatures 20 to 24 C., and with the humidity set to rise, a few heavy and possibly thundery showers could not be ruled out in the evening. Close and humid overnight, with some thundery rain or showers at times.

Wednesday / Thursday: Fresher for the midweek period, with temperatures in the high teens at best. Some rain or showers about, but some dry, bright interludes also, with occasional sunshine.

Starting to look pretty grim now to me especially if you look at the 5 day forecast rainfall.

Met Éireann now saying:

Starting to look pretty grim now to me especially if you look at the 5 day forecast rainfall.

The optimism didn't last long. It's been a solid unspectacular summer around here a lot of dry weather some nice days more forgettable ones where it was 18 degrees and cloudy. Really for any of us who love the sun and good weather the only option is to leave the country for a few weeks where possible. This morning is a typical example it's not cold it's not hot it's cloudy and meh.

When the ECM changes,the Met Éireann outlook changes
    It's ever thus

I see thunderstorm potential next week so some excitement?
    Currently 14.5c ,breezy with little bits of sun in Arklow
    It's been warmer...

The GFS ensembles for Dublin depict dry and very warm weather up until Tuesday then some large precipitation spikes for Wednesday to Sunday with cooler than average temperatures.

GFSENS00_53_-6_205.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The optimism didn't last long. It's been a solid unspectacular summer around here a lot of dry weather some nice days more forgettable ones where it was 18 degrees and cloudy. Really for any of us who love the sun and good weather the only option is to leave the country for a few weeks where possible. This morning is a typical example it's not cold it's not hot it's cloudy and meh.

Have you not been getting by far the best weather of the country there in the South East?

Yes :) Sun blazing down as I type. We can't moan too loudly down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Strangely a bit of sun this morning, I'll give it 5 minutes before it disappears.

At least Tuesday looks somewhat grand here in West Clare, now at least.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Have you not been getting by far the best weather of the country there in the South East?

It's been ok tbh but I'd say the coastal areas have done better. Very little rain but not a lot of sun.

• Advertisement

Yes :) Sun blazing down as I type. We can't moan too loudly down here.

No sun here so I suspect the coastal fringes doing a lot better.

Advertisement