Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

things seemed to have changed quickly, I thought next Wednesday to Sunday were looking very warm and continental, instead they are looking cool and unsettled, similar to what we had for much of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ECM still just about :) GSF is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    things seemed to have changed quickly, I thought next Wednesday to Sunday were looking very warm and continental, instead they are looking cool and unsettled, similar to what we had for much of June.

It is called Fantasy Island for a reason :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Lovely in Arklow at the moment 18c
    No complaints:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dreadful in Donegal with persistent heavy rain with torrential bursts, 14C

Plenty of complaints :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It is called Fantasy Island for a reason :P.

I think it was more just wishfull thinking on my part that the FI with good conditions would last.

Was warm and sunny here up untill 10 minutes ago, looks like we could have a small bit of rain on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry and bright here in Castlebar with hazy sunshine in a moderate south westerly wind.

High today of 21.2c in Arklow
    Currently 19.9c

No complaints:)

few heavy rain drops earlier but not enough to wet the ground, temp rose further after the drops of rain to close to 22C by 5pm. Back to 19C now. The weather 'apps' showing 24C for here tomorrow.

edit: heavy shower here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Is that July goosed then?

• Advertisement

not goosed but probably not as good as many of us had hoped. The north-west is having a particularly unfair run this summer, they ain't even getting they few nice days that the rest of the country gets.

We should have maybe 2 good days next week then another unsettled period and after that the chance of another few fine days before the end of the month. Doesn't look to be any long term (1 week+) of fine weather on the horizon. Every time we get some fine weather it's gone after 3 or 4 days.

Gonzo wrote: »
    not goosed but probably not as good as many of us had hoped. The north-west is having a particularly unfair run this summer, they ain't even getting they few nice days that the rest of the country gets.

We should have maybe 2 good days next week then another unsettled period and after that the chance of another few fine days before the end of the month. Doesn't look to be any long term (1 week+) of fine weather on the horizon. Every time we get some fine weather it's gone after 3 or 4 days.

Cheers for that summary.

There's so much disagreement among the models that I can barely forecast what it will be like 3 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

More or less yes, mid July now and St Swithin's Day tomorrow, forget that 40 days of rain nonsense but there is a lot of truth in the legend:
    There is a scientific basis to the weather pattern behind the legend of St Swithun's day. Around the middle of July, the jet stream settles into a pattern which, in the majority of years, holds reasonably steady until the end of August. When the jet stream lies north of the British Isles then continental high pressure is able to move in; when it lies across or south of the British Isles, Arctic air and Atlantic weather systems predominate.
    So, I would think fairly mixed for the next month or so, a few good days now and then followed by typical Atlantic cloudy westerlies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The divergence between GFS and ECM is striking. The BBC going with the optimistic view, thundery then settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭pauldry

Unfortunately I always go by GFS so I think good weather until Wednesday then pants till July 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

pauldry wrote: »
    Unfortunately I always go by GFS so I think good weather until Wednesday then pants till July 25th

Wouldn't be a U2 concert without a bit of a downpour in fairness :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mostly cloudy in Dublin 16 this morning, but very mild. 19.0c atm.

Aaaagh so annoying �� A few days ago met eireann said next week would be very good especially midweeek . On that basis I booked Wednesday off work .

Now latest forecast says next Wednesday raining and intermittent cloud , cooler etc etc. .
    Is it really that hard to predict one week ahead ? This keeps happening this summer. Dammit .

(I'm bang on the East coast - Mornington)

Very cloudy and very mild here also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,868 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Manky mist in Tuam. Place is soaked.

pauldry wrote: »

You go by the GFS? Oh boy.

Currently mostly cloudy in Arklow yet it's 23c :eek:

No complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Low cloud and sunshine battling it out here in West Clare.

Very windy 25kt 2min avg, currently 18c but very up and down all morning.

Suns out
    Feeling Balmy to hot near Arklow now

20C here and mostly cloudy.

Looks like July is going to turn out a fairly average/mixed month similar to June with the odd fine warm day here and there. It's like as if were on the edge of trying to tap into the warm continental heat all summer but just can't grab it. It's an amazing summer in the south-eastern third of the UK but everywhere else is similar to here. Hopefully we will have better luck during August.

edit: just to clear things up, I am not forecasting a bad July by any means, more of a dissapointing outcome considering what could have happened. There will be plenty of 20C+ days this month but just won't be as sunny or hot as we were hoping. Like most summers, the eastern third of Ireland and parts of south Munster may end up sunnier and warmer than the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temperature 18.5c now with mostly cloudy now, limited sunny spells. It would be pleasant out if the wind wasn't so strong, current 2mins AVG of 22.0kts and 10min AVG of 19.7kts

big jump in temp now in past 20 minutes, 22C here now and sun is trying to shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

The sun is well and truly out in east Cork, clear blue skies and feeling very humid. :)

• Advertisement

25.9c in Arklow now
    Another little push and we'll have our hottest day here of the summer
    Just Glorious

Advertisement