Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Met Éireann radar sequence since 3.00am:

image.gif

Everything spins..

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The_Outsider

Gonzo wrote: »
    Staying in county Clare since yesterday and the rain hasn't stopped since 7pm yesterday. Looks like it's down for the day again raining almost 24 hours at this stage .

Can confirm. Waiting for the Ark to sail past the window.
    52.6mm and counting!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Met Éireann radar sequence since 3.00am:

image.gif

Everything spins..

Donegal and the East Coast rather lucky with this system, it's been a bone dry day so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Staying in county Clare since yesterday and the rain hasn't stopped since 7pm yesterday. Looks like it's down for the day again raining almost 24 hours at this stage .

Look lad,how many hints do I have to give you about Courtown or Ballymoney in Wexford or Arklow nearby? Now 19c ,just gorgeous at the moment
    and you chose Clare ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Horrible morning in Donegal, wet and very windy but improved a lot since midday. Overcast and breezy since with the odd shower. Wednesday aside it's not been a bad week here, probably the best we've had all summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Look lad,how many hints do I have to give you about Courtown or Ballymoney in Wexford or Arklow nearby? Now 19c ,just gorgeous at the moment
    and you chose Clare ? :D

You'll still be telling us how beautiful it is in December!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You'll still be telling us how beautiful it is in December!

Probably :D

Just popped in for a mcflurry there in Arklow, and meanwhile the cattle are sunbathing,as I arrive home :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Monsoon like conditions in Limerick, hasn't stopped raining once today. Really heavy persistent rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Biblical rain here in Clare even in the east of ireland I've rarely seen things this bad over a 24 hour period. The weather app on my phone is teasing me with fine,sunny and warm conditions at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It looks like you picked the optimum place to get the most rain out of this system Gonzo!
    Though it looks fairly good for most of Ireland including Clare after this system passes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My next vacation in late August will be a much more sunny and warm location. Will be spending a while in fuengirola so guaranteed sun most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Just halfway between Quilty and Doonbeg.
    It's like a winter storm. Havent budged outside all day. Kids going nuts. Im going nuts too.
    Turned the heating on too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Biblical rain here in Clare even in the east of ireland I've rarely seen things this bad over a 24 hour period. The weather app on my phone is teasing me with fine,sunny and warm conditions at home.

Yep :pac:. It's been a fine day throughout with no rain here - at least since the very early hours of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

It's not really a fine 'summer's' day anywhere right now in fairness! It's blustery and cool at best in the East of Ireland and monsoon like rain in the West. After being in Mayo for the last week, and enjoying Achill last Wednesday week and Sunday, and Old Head, Louisburgh on Monday and Tuesday, I'd happily put up with the bad times to get such spectacular days as those mentioned above. Could anyone tell us, is the rest of this summer a write off? Is the heat of Europe just not drifting far enough West to make it to Ireland and cause a proper heatwave similar to 2013?

Carol25 wrote: »
    It's not really a fine 'summer's' day anywhere right now in fairness! It's blustery and cool at best in the East of Ireland and monsoon like rain in the West. After being in Mayo for the last week, and enjoying Achill last Wednesday week and Sunday, and Old Head, Louisburgh on Monday and Tuesday, I'd happily put up with the bad times to get such spectacular days as those mentioned above. Could anyone tell us, is the rest of this summer a write off? Is the heat of Europe just not drifting far enough West to make it to Ireland and cause a proper heatwave similar to 2013?

It's 17c here with sunny intervals. That's fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

That feckin low pressure is circulating over Galway all day:mad:

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It's 17c here with sunny intervals. That's fine to me.

That's not really a 'fine' temperature for July in my humble opinion...as far as i can see on meteoceil after next Tuesday, we're not in for any more fine summer weather... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Just finished watering the potted plants here :p :pac:

Carol25 wrote: »
    That's not really a 'fine' temperature for July in my humble opinion...as far as i can see on meteoceil after next Tuesday, we're not in for any more fine summer weather... :cool:

Whilst you're entitled to your own opinion, it is very average for me to record 17c in July or Summer. I am lucky if I record it or higher temperatures because this is Ireland (something a lot of people tend to forget) we're living in. With sunny intervals and an average temperature, it's fine, very pleasant conditions. It's what I like to think as the perfect Summer weather but that's probably because I am acclimatised to Ireland's non-extreme climate.

As for Meteociel, Wetterzentrale and all the other sites/models, they can barely forecast Ireland's weather up to a 10 day period so why say that? Why are you calling the rest of Summer a write-off just because of what some model or site has to say for today? Tomorrow, they could look very different and completely turn around - as the GFS tends to do (which it is infamous for) along with many other models. Predicting Ireland's weather is a complete guessing game and is very difficult to forecast within 120 hours ahead - for the days after 120 hours, it is known as FI aka Fantasy Island. FI is a term to describe the period (+120 hours out or more) as a "Fantasy" or "Dream" of some sorts because nobody can truly see what's going to happen in this timeframe - though in my opinion, you could call the next 5-7 days FI :p as we still somehow get the forecasting wrong but that's Ireland for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

I've seen the words "monsoon" and "biblical" to describe conditions today. Well take both and more and it describes how it is in Tralee. Belting down since yesterday evening, I wouldn't even put my nose out and I've the heat on now.

Some of this crowd from over East are staring to become a pain. While we might get the worst of the weather on the western seaboard, give us our beautiful wild Atlantic way any day over yer aul sunny south East :D:pac:

• Advertisement

Yes this is Ireland which I'm well aware of, but no I don't think 17c is considered a fine day in July by any stretch of the imagination in Ireland. It seems to be more of a point scoring exercise to annoy people in the West who have heavy rain all day to make the comment that it's a 'fine' day in the East when in actual fact it's cool and blustery:
    Latest weather report from Met Eireann at 18:00 to prove above point:
    DUBLIN AIRPORT Wind - SE 18 Knots Gust 29 FAIR Temp: 14

Meteoceil is just something I saw referenced here. I'm not a meteorologist so just thought I'd give it a try to see what's ahead. Thanks for the info re forecasts on Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

One last blast or rain before it clears
    Or not
    Who knows it may circle back fir round 3

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The_Outsider

So after two recent absolutely torrential showers I'm now up to a tally of 64.2mm.
    Can any other Vantake Vue owners tell me is this for the last 24 hours or since midnight?
    Either way, that's a lot of agua.

At the moment next thurday Friday and Saturday is a repeat show
    Happy summer everyone

I don't think we will tap into any heatwave but are getting short bursts of fine days in the low to mid twenties frequently this summer which is good enough for me. Some summers we don't even get a few fine days in a row so we're doing ok this year. The only downside is we are not getting the extremely good stuff from the earlier summer outlook .

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

km79 wrote: »
    At the moment next thurday Friday and Saturday is a repeat show
    Happy summer everyone

Just when i thought thing's were looking up lol.:pac:

Another 5/6 mm last 2 hours
    Getting heavy again
    I wish it would Feck off at this stage
    Circling round and round
    It's driving me insane :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Atrocious evening here but like said above not the worst summer ever. Wouldn't class it as good mind you but we've had a few nice days. Definitely autumnal feel tonight though and last night.

Suns just gone down in Arklow :)

• Advertisement

Looks like it is finally falling south

Advertisement