Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,924 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Got scalded out there today!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Wet start to the day in north meath, rain for the last hour, seems to be brightening up to the north of us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Carol25 wrote: »
    Yes this is Ireland which I'm well aware of, but no I don't think 17c is considered a fine day in July by any stretch of the imagination in Ireland. It seems to be more of a point scoring exercise to annoy people in the West who have heavy rain all day to make the comment that it's a 'fine' day in the East when in actual fact it's cool and blustery:
    Latest weather report from Met Eireann at 18:00 to prove above point:
    DUBLIN AIRPORT Wind - SE 18 Knots Gust 29 FAIR Temp: 14

That's complete nonsense. I've been in Dublin the past week and from the southern US. So we'll used to high temps. And the period you referenced, in my opinion were fine days. I've been here lots during the summers and they would be horrible. I've been to Dublin twice this summer so far and while not hot like back home. I would describe the days as fine. Also why use Dublin airport as a reference? It's a flat open area not too far from the coast. I've left nice warm calm weather elsewhere in Dublin and got out at the airport and felt chilly in a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Heading to the Air Show in Bray soon, hope this cloud breaks up and doesn't spoil the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Heavy drizzle :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Tis supposed to break up somewhat and cloud ceiling to rise by the time of the start of the airshow. Not raining now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's a flat open area not too far from the coast. I've left nice warm calm weather elsewhere in Dublin and got out at the airport and felt chilly in a breeze.

Doubt there would be a significant difference in temp though. It is always a bit breezier out in the countryside which naturally makes it feel just a little cooler than in would towns and cities.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Doubt there would be a significant difference in temp though. It is always a bit breezier out in the countryside which naturally makes it feel just a little cooler than in would towns and cities.

There can be a HUGE difference between temps at DA and those in Casement or Phoenix Park.

During the day the sea breeze can regularly knock 2 or 3 degrees off temps compared to the city centre, or somewhere further west like Lucan for example.

The difference is most pronounced after evening during settled conditions I find. I remember once during winter Casement was reporting 7c at midnight and DA was reporting 0! Usually a coastal location keeps temps down during the day, but up at night. So for DA to be cooler during the day and colder at night compared to most stations is quite bizarre in my opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The GFS has the breakdown around Tues evening, ARPEGE showing sporadic rain on Tues leading to heavy rain that night. After that, unsettled weather under the influence of LP systems well into the weekend and early days of the week after it would seem. Models not in agreement yet on track or strength but they seem to be shallow LP's tracking / meandering slowly north of us. At this early stage they are showing a possible strong depression later in the weekend but this could disappear yet.

Met Eireann going for Rain developing Tues evening and becoming heavy and persistent and tracking E.

tempresult_hms5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Some sharp localised convection in East Wicklow this afternoon
    Quite heavy rain in them turning the place from bright to quite dark in jig time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Beautiful warm almost cloudless day in Donegal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,924 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The clouds are really annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

23 in North county Dublin at the moment and 90% blue sky wasn't expecting this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

back home now, warm, sunny, 22C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

The Blue Skies arrived right on time for the Bray Airshow. Abosolute Scorcher of a day.....in Costa Del Bray ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Blue skies for most of the day in Castlebar, it got up to 22C, looks like we will have a similar set up tomorrow as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lonely day in east Galway too
    Summers back baby :D

I must admit the weather greatly affects my mood

I was not very sunny Thursday and Friday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The ECM latest run is deepening that LP on Thurs and bringing it closer to us then previous runs . The Met office charts have the sea level center of the low at 984 hPa but further off to the NW. the ARPEGE similar to the ECM showing fairly fresh all along the Atlantic Seaboard and strong winds on the NW coasts.

A bit off yet to be sure of exact strength and timing.

eppDwOg.png?1

RVdEAOJ.png

jVFQwhr.png

Calibos wrote: »
    The Blue Skies arrived right on time for the Bray Airshow. Abosolute Scorcher of a day.....in Costa Del Bray ;):D

Aye same happened here after those showers,Sunshine is kinda getting boring;)

I'll be sad again soon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

for once were doing slightly better than mainland UK with sun and temperatures. The unsettled spell of weather we had on Friday is still effecting eastern UK till tomorrow evening. Tomorrow will be the best of the 2 settled days, Tuesday looking ok too. Wednesday onwards the unsettled spell takes hold and effects all of Ireland and UK. There looks to be some hope that things will improve again from August 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah it turned out way better than I feared.

Anyways id say we have at least 2 more mini warm spells after Mon n Tues.

This is exactly how I thought the Summer would pan out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Whilst July may have been a bit poorer than I had intended, I've not been that far off at all with my forecast. Please to god August be a major improvement like I expected. Right now it's not looking like it.

for me, so far this summer has been fairly decent with temps above 20C much of the time, even when it's unsettled it's still relatively warm.

There hasn't been much rain apart from Friday. When you think back how great May was, then look at the various brief settled spells we've had since then, it hasn't been too bad.

From Wednesday things look poor up till the first week of August, however I'm hoping things will pan out not as bad with some warm dry days in between. Fingers crossed we get at least 1 proper week long dry, warm and settled spell in August.

Gonzo wrote: »
    for me, so far this summer has been fairly decent with temps above 20C much of the time, even when it's unsettled it's still relatively warm.

There hasn't been much rain apart from Friday. When you think back how great May was, then look at the various brief settled spells we've had since then, it hasn't been too bad.

From Wednesday things look poor up till the first week of August, however I'm hoping things will pan out not as bad with some warm dry days in between. Fingers crossed we get at least 1 proper week long dry, warm and settled spell in August.

Fingers crossed we get one long dry warm and settled spell called August
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Just made my way home from the pub now and the glow in the Western sky was stunning with balmy atmosphere and lovely twilight all around.

Checked the temp when I got home - 16.7 outside. (The pints were great too)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

I spent the day in Cork city and it was beautiful. 22/23 degrees and quite sunny, getting very sunny towards the end of the day. By all accounts Tralee was quite dull so there's no doubt that weather varies a lot in Ireland especially in terms of sunshine.

That said, a huge brigade from the sunny south east were in Cork for the hurling quarter final between Wexford and Waterford, happily and noisily invading the city centre before the match. As I would rarely venture that far across the country,it gave me a great chance to ogle these semi continentals up close and admire the home grown tans from all the sunshine I've been hearing about on this thread. I was almost disappointed to find them quite pasty and as Irish as the rest of us.:D

km79 wrote: »
    I'll be sad again soon

Lwo0CTF.gif

New Moon

Comhra wrote: »
    Just made my way home from the pub now and the glow in the Western sky was stunning with balmy atmosphere and lovely twilight all around.

Checked the temp when I got home - 16.7 outside. (The pints were great too)
    Same here last night. Very summery pinky tinge that I found unusual given that the winds were from the NW.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Beautiful morning in Arklow
    Already 19c :)

Advertisement