Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Phew! Nice to see the azores high ridging towards Ireland again,in early mid june,joining a scandi high and bringing warm east winds,once this starts happening its usually a sign of things to come.

airpressure.png

airpressure.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i think I'd rather local Irish forecasts than a UK long range forecast as the weather difference between Ireland and England/Wales can often be seasons apart during various times/events in both winter and summer. Sometimes we get lucky an enjoy the same conditions as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Remember when Ken Ring said the next heatwave would be in 2018 and here's me predicting one in 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks like summer is cancelled. :(

(Ken Ring is a spoofer)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think after all the dry months in Sligo we are due a putrid one here anyways

So a stinker of a June for NW but better elsewhere but only average at best

July may be the best Summer month...but would be hard to beat May (in Sligo anyways)

Id reckon we may see a 30 somewhere again in July though and I think we are due a good August too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Renamed the thread to [Chat] Summer 2017 -General Discussion for continuity purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This summer starts as the spring did, the weather actually going back to the previous season :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yea not a great start with rain slow to clear tomorrow.

tempresult_zlb8.gif

tempresult_fgq5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Ok can someone turn off this jet stream or maybe deflect it northwards for a while?:pac:

It is looking very unsettled though for the foreseeable.
    I even see other posters on other forums refer to the strengthening of the jet stream in June over the North Atlantic and western Europe as the "European Monsoon".

The date of this article was the 18/5/15.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=hpnews&id=2735&title=European+monsoon

Eh....em... "Will it ever stop raining again?":D

Like I said, a SLOW start to Summer 2017.

• Advertisement

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Ok can someone turn off this jet stream or maybe deflect it northwards for a while?:pac:

It is looking very unsettled though for the foreseeable.
    I even see other posters on other forums refer to the strengthening of the jet stream in June over the North Atlantic and western Europe as the "European Monsoon".

The date of this article was the 18/5/15.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=hpnews&id=2735&title=European+monsoon

Eh....em... "Will it ever stop raining again?":D

All I can say to them is, what a load of rubbish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hopefully this month won't be as bad as I think it could be, but at same time we are entering possibly the most unsettled period of weather since February. I've put the bbq back into the shed for the next few weeks. Most of May was a pure tease how great it was. Meanwhile England gets another few days of continental heat before things break down there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Tomasz Schafernaker said on the BBC news just there that the 1st of June is the start of meteorological winter...he must have been on holidays down under.

horrible day here, very wet and feeling quite cool. Tomorrow looks to be possibly the best day we will see for a while, could stay dry across much of the country all day with temps in the high teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Fliuch, fliuch, fliuch inniu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Gonzo wrote:
    horrible day here, very wet and feeling quite cool. Tomorrow looks to be possibly the best day we will see for a while, could stay dry across much of the country all day with temps in the high teens.

How long is a while?

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

A very wet start to summer!!

How long is a while?

7-12 days.

Purely guessing, tomorrow looks relatively dry in the eastern half of the country. Everywhere at risk of heavy showers from Saturday onwards and possible downpours next week. Hopefully an improving situation after next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Gonzo wrote: »
    7-12 days.

Purely guessing, tomorrow looks relatively dry in the eastern half of the country. Everywhere at risk of heavy showers from Saturday onwards and possible downpours next week. Hopefully an improving situation after next weekend.

Sure there's a graph posted a while back showing tomorrow as a wash out.
    Might look relatively dry in the east but from what I can see the rest of the country is being pissed on.

Nice that it brightened up this evening for a short while at least after the wet overcast day. 7mm here in Tralee.

Pic taken this evening at 22.05

7qJzILC.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sunflower3

Stunning picture....

Tomorrows projected rainfall by the AROME, ARPEGEE showing rainfall coming into Atlantic counties earlier tomorrow night.

tempresult_zju9.gif

Ireland wearing it's striped suit today :) .

7E0CDYZ.jpg?1

Fantastic day, sunshine with passing cloud a light breeze and pleasantly warm getting up to 17.4C here in Tralee, no rain and low humidity topped it off.

Pic Killarney 13.30

gfQv0pO.jpg?1

a great day from yesterday's misery and a welcome very brief break from the current unsettled spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice end to the day here in Castlebar, heres the Lake in town looking west at Croagh Patrick

Monday's low pressure looks like bringing the windiest June day since 2015 and possibly the worst June day since 2012. The rain will bring much of Ireland's stations' weekly rainfall % of average up to 200-300%. In other words, potentially 5-50mm widely on Monday in Ireland. Mmmm, have to go back to February 2016 for a day as wet as that.

The south and east seem to be the most affected, according to the GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is there any definition for "worst day" or is it just opinion?

I remember vaguely last year around May we got a storm/low pressure system with strong winds from the east.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Is there any definition for "worst day" or is it just opinion?

I remember vaguely last year around May we got a storm/low pressure system with string winds from the east.

It's just opinion.

I don't remember any storm in May 2016. It's such a quiet month in my mind.

h850t850eu.png

airpressure.png

index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

• Advertisement

ukmaxtemp.png

Advertisement