Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible day here, lots of showers, some short intense downpours. Very short spells of sunshine inbetween but too many showers to walk/do anything outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nice, bright and warm in Castlebar, probably the best day we have had this week as the rain fell in the early hours of this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Not sure how big this picture is,so mods please make smaller if necessary
    This is buster and even he was panting and he hadn't to pull any of the bastarding ragwort
    2nd attached pic is how strong the sun is here near Arklow,we've missed all the showers so far again
    Boiling when you're at this job anyway:D

Ft8BM0D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

We've drawn the short straw with the showers today south of Athenry! Been nearly constant heavy rain for the passed 3 hours with a small bit of warm sunshine in between. So much for getting a cycle in at the park with my boys..

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Carol25 wrote: »
    We've drawn the short straw with the showers today south of Athenry! Been nearly constant heavy rain for the passed 3 hours with a small bit of warm sunshine in between. So much for getting a cycle in at the park with my boys..

Welcome to yday
    Today I'm gardening !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    horrible day here, lots of showers, some short intense downpours. Very short spells of sunshine inbetween but too many showers to walk/do anything outside.

Its crazy the difference in a few miles, still sunny and dry here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

After a few hours of showers and overcast skies, it's pleasantly sunny here now.

Its crazy the difference in a few miles, still sunny and dry here

Aye Gorey seems to be peppered with showers today whilst we 9km's north nearer Arklow are getting sunburnt
    Not a drop

km79 wrote: »
    Welcome to yday
    Today I'm gardening !

Our garden is soaked today. I think I'm going to head in the car with them towards Galway Bay and hope for a clear patch, pot luck at this stage I think!

Carol25 wrote: »
    Our garden is soaked today. I think I'm going to head in the car with them towards Galway Bay and hope for a clear patch, pot luck at this stage I think!

Our luck just ran out :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bit dryer now, ground starting to dry up after the midday/afternoon downpours.

just seen the BBC forecast for the week ahead and it paints a cool and unsettled week ahead for us with no letup in sight of the Atlantic influence. MT's forecast also suggest a continuation of the unsettled theme right towards the middle part of the month and possibly beyond.

Sunburned today :o

Since the showers stopped, it has been a very nice day here. This August hasn't started off too bad, I guess I've been lucky.

Feels Lovely out walking near Arklow this evening
    This is the sun starting to set just now :)

VQozyF0.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking like everywhere getting some rain tomorrow. Most in the SW it would seem.

Predicted accumulated precipitation.

GY4X5Xq.png?1

Windy day in store as well tomorrow.

uwupESY.png?1

Gusts

71bfz67.png?1

Found some nice weather in along Galway Bay and out towards Connemara.
    Here is the coral beach in Carraroe.

7Nqo82E.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some peculiar commentary in here about how temperatures should feel. How is it that 14c would feel mild/warm in winter, but cool in summer? 14c (for example) regardless how humidity/wind would affect the 'feel' of it, is still 14c, regardless of what time of year it is occurring in. It seems to me that the feel of temperature is more based on a personal expectation of what temperatures should be in a particular season, rather than being based on any semblance of practicality.

12.9c here, and it still feels, and looks, very balmy outside with zero breeze. A long way off 'jumper' territory for sure (not that I ever wear them anyway :p)

New Moon

Lovely cool soft Rain and about 13c
    I've my jumper on
    No complaints:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Some peculiar commentary in here about how temperatures should feel. How is it that 14c would feel mild/warm in winter, but cool in summer? 14c (for example) regardless how humidity/wind would affect the 'feel' of it, is still 14c, regardless of what time of year it is occurring in. It seems to me that the feel of temperature is more based on a personal expectation of what temperatures should be in a particular season, rather than being based on any semblance of practicality.

12.9c here, and it still feels, and looks, very balmy outside with zero breeze. A long way off 'jumper' territory for sure (not that I ever wear them anyway :p)

Or some people feel the cold/heat more than others it's as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Very heavy downpours here in Limerick and slate gray skies. Just about spot on for august bank holiday weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

who_ru wrote: »
    Very heavy downpours here in Limerick and slate gray skies. Just about spot on for august bank holiday weekend.

No complaints then😮

Had half an hour of heavy rain
    The rest missed us
    Thank god for small mercies
    I'm still holding out hope for this week after Tuesday ........

Should hopefully be good drying here today and tomorrow

Heavy rain \0/

So far today, it's just been miserable with patchy rain - I'd appreciate if I could have had some of the heavy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Meh! Has this been the 'floppiest' summer in years? I reckon so. No high pressure worth the name for weeks now. Actually put on a jumper last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

The Arklow area looks to be getting lots of rain this afternoon. Looks like the wettest, dullest and most unpleasant weather in the country around there. Dry but cloudy in north Kildare but getting quite humid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

apart from 1 or 2 light showers its been a dry bright afternoon in Castlebar with good drying.

Advertisement