Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Couple of heavy showers last while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Lashing here in Arklow this past few hours,the first continuous decent rainfall here since the June bank holiday
    Very welcome down this way
    Temp is 15c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Lashing here in Arklow this past few hours,the first continuous decent rainfall here since the June bank holiday
    Temp is 15c

Looks like torrential rain over the Wicklow mountains at the moment.... Including Arklow. Could be some flooding in many parts of Wicklow this evening.

Temp is 15c

And ye are welcome to it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Temp is 15c

I think you may live in a different happy perfect weather island to the rest of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

km79 wrote: »
    And ye are welcome to it :D

Yet I'm cloudy and dry :(

I think you may live in a different happy perfect weather island to the rest of us

It's not that,I just want an end to the drought down this way
    If it could rain at night (preferably between 2 and 5am but not during calving) and sunny by day ,Shur it be heaven , is that a whole lot to ask :D

Heavy shower

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

highdef wrote: »
    Looks like torrential rain over the Wicklow mountains at the moment.... Including Arklow. Could be some flooding in many parts of Wicklow this evening.

...and acting like a Sponge for Costa Del Bray. If you went purely by RainToday you'd have thought it was heavy rain in Bray all day since 1pm till now.

Light drizzle for about 5 minutes around 1:30pm is the only precipitation I've seen all day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Cold front clearing Dublin (DunLaoghaire) about an hour ago....

• Advertisement

Still raining
    Quite heavy at the moment near Arklow
    I could see a clearance to the NW at one stage but the pivot and slide of the lingering rain belt said no

Water pools everywhere,great to see
    Land here was very thirsty:)

Bright start in the west
    But I'm heading east
    Brace yourself Dublin Winter is coming :D

I'm still optimistic that the settled spell will come and stay from midweek on
    This can't go on forever

Bright start in the west
    But I'm heading east
    Brace yourself Dublin Winter is coming :D

I'm still optimistic that the settled spell will come and stay from midweek on
    This can't go on forever

LOL stepped off Luas and was met with a shower immediately
    I'm cursed this summer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

LOL stepped off Luas and was met with a shower immediately
    I'm cursed this summer

The weather even in the east has been crap for almost a month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cool, Dry and Sunny in north meath today, but has clouded over a fair bit in the last hour

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

In general a lovely day in Kerry. A few heavy local showers about as can be seen in the pic below in Killarney about 14.00.

Got up to 18.4C here near Tralee and currently 17.1C in sunshine

9pEKd6f.jpg?1

sYNnfa1.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭School Socks

What summers past would be the most similar to this one ? 2010 maybe ? Not a good summer but not bad either.

What summers past would be the most similar to this one ? 2010 maybe ? Not a good summer but not bad either.

2010 was an excellent Summer (in Ireland at least), as I always say it's super underrated. 2010 was much better than this rubbish here in 2017 - Ok, it's not really rubbish but it's certainly not like 2010.

2010 had a spectacular June that was very warm, dry and sunny. Only July was bad as it was wet and dull but warm. August was rather cool but was very sunny and dry.

I think 2017 is a unique Summer and I have not found any Summer similar to it - yet. 1957 had a very sunny, dry and warm June (one of the sunniest on record) but June 2017 wasn't exactly sunny and dry.

Compare the IMTs (Irish Mean Temperatures) of June and July for both 2010 & 2017 along with their anomalies from the 1981-2010 average

June: 14.7 (+1.0c)
    July: 14.9 (-0.5c)
    June/July: 14.8 (+0.2c)

June: 15.2 (+1.5c)
    July: 15.8 (+0.4c)
    June/July: 15.5 (+0.9c)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

August has been mainly rubbish in this country since the turn of the millennium so not really surprised that past week has felt rather autumnal. Probably get a good week or 2 in September so all is not lost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this week could be the best week in August with at least 1 or 2 dry days, week 3 is meant to be cool and unsettled again. perhaps week 4 may offer something more hopeful if we're lucky. We can always count on early September for some warm sunny days as well.

• Advertisement

Today was glorious. Lots of sunshine here until this evening when I had a heavy shower along with a double rainbow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very heavy rain shower here near Tralee now, I hope the mortar was set in my wall :mad:

VwtRLFr.png?1

Very heavy rain shower here near Tralee now, I hope the mortar was set in my wall :mad:

VwtRLFr.png?1

I'm saying nothing !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No rain whatsoever since I woke this morning here in West Clare!

That's some predicted low temperature for tomorrow compared to Weds. ( ARPEEGE is even lower )

kuaJEtA.png

NDxC4aZ.png

Going to get a lot of rain from that incoming cloud here in the SW and S during the day. 6.2mm here in Tralee since midnight so far.

yVyRjhg.gif

FxwKy29.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Some great looking clouds out there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Brightening up nicely here in Castlebar with clearer skies moving in from the north west.

Blessed so far this morning in east Galway as the showers rotate around us for once .
    Be mighty if it could stay dry for a few days but it's beginning to cloud over ominously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Massive difference between MT and ME for the next 3 days, namely in terms of temperatures. Give Thursday as an example, MT saying 20-23c, ME saying 15-19c.

Advertisement