Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    Beautiful morning here. Heat in the sun

Cloud has bubbled up in Dublin/starting to look showery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

pad199207 wrote: »
    Beautiful morning here. Heat in the sun

Aye despite the northeasterly
    I can feel warmth in the wind and a burning on my neck
    The temporary nose of Hp could well print a 22 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Well we're all having it a lot better than most of England at the moment:)

Been in London all week and can confirm, utterly miserable this morning. Temp has barely touched 20C all week which is awful for London in August

Been in London all week and can confirm, utterly miserable this morning. Temp has barely touched 20C all week which is awful for London in August

Much of England had temps of just 13c yesterday
    It was warmer here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Lovely morning here too although cloud keeps popping up here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

was a nice morning here till about 30 minutes ago, completely cloudy now, and a few drops of rain, wind has picked up a bit and feeling fresh.

I've still yet to see the poor weather everyone seems to be talking about for August so far. It has been relatively dry, mild (NOTE: My August average temperature is very low thus why this month has been quite mild for me) and quite sunny this August so far here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The perseid meteor shower is meant to peak on Saturday night.

Would be great to have a clear night, don't mind about the cold.

Any ideas if it will be clear in the Meath area? I guess from 11pm on

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I've still yet to see the poor weather everyone seems to be talking about for August so far. It has been relatively dry, mild (NOTE: My August average temperature is very low thus why this month has been quite mild for me) and quite sunny this August so far here.

Just shows the variations I suppose. Everyone is saying how autumnal it's been the last week to 10 days and that sunmer is gone. Walking to work this morning in cloudy weather at 11 degrees whilst not cold it was certainly not mild certainly not sunny and certainly not a summers or August morning as you'd hope.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Most of the UK and Ireland has had crap since the last 1/3rd of July, the south-east UK and London having very unseasonably muck too.

Temps so far this month have struggled to hit the high teens, even today is struggling here at 17C and it's cloudy and fresh.

Just checked today's updated forecast on the BBC Weather website and they really are feeling sorry for themselves with all this bad weather. They are expecting 60-80mm of rain to fall today in the South East & London. Unfortunately BBC's outlook is a write-off for next week at least with the Jetstream right over us with cool winds and low pressures moving across us one after another.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The perseid meteor shower is meant to peak on Saturday night.

Would be great to have a clear night, don't mind about the cold.

Any ideas if it will be clear in the Meath area? I guess from 11pm on

Thanks guys

Mod Note: Moved this post.....

The NAO is not helping the situation here as it's going to continue to be negative into the second half of August according to the GFS ensembles.

With a negative NAO, it means the Azores High is weak and not ridgey. Also, Northern Blocking takes place which in Summer is not good - in Winter though, it's what you want for a cold Winter.

most of us have only had 1 day with no rain so far this month with poor to average temperatures. Even today I have had a few drops of rain, tho not enough to wet the ground properly.

Because the weather has been relatively cool with showers so far this month, today and tomorrow seems good because it is relatively dry with temps of 16-20C. Just because this month isn't surrounded with downpours doesn't make what we've had so far a good month, its not a terrible month either but it is very dissapointing, feeling more like mid to late September than early August.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm a happy man today
    Outdoors is good for the soul and mind indeed

things certainly improved after 1pm here, decent spells of sunshine now and 19C which is the month's high so far at this location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

What I find peculiar about today's temps is that despite a northerly breeze, we are getting temps between 18-20c at the moment across the country, despite the fairly brisk breeze.

ISO_TODAY_ATL.png?1541

Temp between 15 - 17c would be more normal at this time of year under such a set up. Reckon this is to do with the huge warm anomaly in the waters to our north, which are up to 4.0c above average, which doesn't really bode well for any winter northerlies we might get this coming winter tbh.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    What I find peculiar about today's temps is that despite a northerly breeze, we are getting temps between 18-20c at the moment across the country, despite the fairly brisk breeze.

ISO_TODAY_ATL.png?1541

Temp between 15 - 17c would be more normal at this time of year under such a set up. Reckon this is to do with the huge warm anomaly in the waters to our north, which are up to 4.0c above average, which doesn't really bode well for any winter northerlies we might get this coming winter tbh.

I'd have thought it bodes well for winter convection over the waters,maybe thunder in such winter spells?
    Gonzo wrote: »
    most of us have only had 1 day with no rain so far this month with poor to average temperatures. Even today I have had a few drops of rain, tho not enough to wet the ground properly.

Because the weather has been relatively cool with showers so far this month, today and tomorrow seems good because it is relatively dry with temps of 16-20C. Just because this month isn't surrounded with downpours doesn't make what we've had so far a good month, its not a terrible month either but it is very dissapointing, feeling more like mid to late September than early August.

By most,I presume you mean most of the 5 or 6 regular posters on this thread?
    That doesn't equate to most of the country
    Dublin surely has had more than one dry day in August so far and that's quarter the population?
    There's probably lots of areas that have had more than one dry day in August,just not all on the same days
    I've had a few completely dry days,Saturday,yesterday and now today being 3 that immediately spring to mind

Currently 20.4 c here and frequently sunny
    No complaints

I'd have thought it bodes well for winter convection over the waters,maybe thunder in such winter spells?
    There is that of course, which you know I have no problem with, but we seem to be getting less 'proper' snow from northerlies in recent years than we would normally get from an average polar westerly.

New Moon

There is that of course, which you know I have no problem with, but we seem to be getting less 'proper' snow from northerlies in recent years than we would normally get from an average polar westerly.

Well there's a lot of things to consider with that, solar activity has been relatively high - coming out of solar maximum in early 2014, for one example. ENSO has not been favourable for a good cold, snowy northerly especially in 2015/16 as it was a super strong El Nino - which going by previous such events all have similar characteristics. During the winters also, the NAO has tended to be positive. As I said there's a lot of things to consider and I'd be here all day explaining them lol.

I'm overdue a cold month at some point as these are my 2017 mean temperatures & anomalies up to now

January: 5.4 (+0.8c)
    February: 6.3 (+1.7c)
    March: 8.2 (+0.7c)
    April: 8.5 (Average)
    May: 12.5 (+1.2c)
    June: 14.6 (+0.9c)
    July: 15.2 (+0.4c)
    August: 14.9 (+1.1c)

Every lawnmower in the county is going 90 !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great evening. 14.2C now and nice fresh breeze on the coast.

Banna Strand , 20.00

yBhMOvB.jpg?1

Well there's a lot of things to consider with that, solar activity has been relatively high - coming out of solar maximum in early 2014, for one example. ENSO has not been favourable for a good cold, snowy northerly especially in 2015/16 as it was a super strong El Nino - which going by previous such events all have similar characteristics. During the winters also, the NAO has tended to be positive. As I said there's a lot of things to consider and I'd be here all day explaining them lol.

I'm overdue a cold month at some point as these are my 2017 mean temperatures & anomalies up to now

January: 5.4 (+0.8c)
    February: 6.3 (+1.7c)
    March: 8.2 (+0.7c)
    April: 8.5 (Average)
    May: 12.5 (+1.2c)
    June: 14.6 (+0.9c)
    July: 15.2 (+0.4c)
    August: 14.9 (+1.1c)

Good stats and analysis Syran, but I am not all that convinced that El Nino/La Nino has that much influence on Atlantic weather patterns over the Winter season in general. I did a short study on this for 'Irish Weather Online' a couple of years back if you want to look for it:

https://irishweatheronline.wordpress.com/2015/11/13/super-el-nino-2015-2016-will-it-have-an-impact-on-irelands-winter/

Feel free to refute if you spot anything amiss in the article. As for sun spots, well, I'll leave that to you and others because I know very little of them or what influence they may or may not have on weather patterns here on this wee ball of muck and water.

New Moon

Good stats and analysis Syran, but I am not all that convinced that El Nino/La Nino has that much influence on Atlantic weather patterns over the Winter season in general. I did a short study on this for 'Irish Weather Online' a couple of years back if you want to look for it:

https://irishweatheronline.wordpress.com/2015/11/13/super-el-nino-2015-2016-will-it-have-an-impact-on-irelands-winter/

Feel free to refute if you spot anything amiss in the article. As for sun spots, well, I'll leave that to you and others because I know very little of them or what influence they may or may not have on weather patterns here on this wee ball of muck and water.

I'll discuss about this in a post in the Irish Weather Statistics thread and thanks.

Another glorious day yet again for the 3rd day in a row here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Just walked around central Dublin in a t shirt and I'm bloody freezing!

Feeling MUCH cooler today
    Had to go in and gets jumper when cutting the lawn
    Disappointing
    But dry

yesterday was always gonna be the warmer of the 2 dry days. Met Eireann had forecasted today to be a slightly cooler day. These past few nights have been chilly as well, Saturday night is looking particularly cold with temps of 6-10C, we haven't really seen temps that low since early/mid May. Cloudy and fresh here so far today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I also turned the heat on last night for a bit. Christ is it too much to ask to not need a jacket in August!?!

I'd really appreciate if I could have all the cold people are having. It was uncomfortable here last night with my windows wide open. The relatively high humidity could have been the problem.

• Advertisement

I'd really appreciate if I could have all the cold people are having. It was uncomfortable here last night with my windows wide open. The relatively high humidity could have been the problem.

you must have a very well insulated home! Having said that the insulation in my home isn't the best, the house was built in the 1970s. Got chilly here after 10pm yesterday evening and the evening before that. The temp here past few nights have been around 7 or 8C which is pretty chilly for early August. We had the heating on the other night for about 40 minutes, will defo have the heat on this Saturday night.

Advertisement