Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Gonzo wrote: »
    you must have a very well insulated home! Having said that the insulation in my home isn't the best, the house was built in the 1970s. Got chilly here after 10pm yesterday evening and the evening before that. We had the heating on the other night for about 40 minutes, will defo have the heat on this Saturday night.

I was just about to say that too. My house was very warm last night too, but thats because my house is a dormer with a lot of black slate exposed to the sun.
    So on any sunny day from April to September the bedrooms in my house can get very hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'd really appreciate if I could have all the cold people are having. It was uncomfortable here last night with my windows wide open. The relatively high humidity could have been the problem.

To be fair,it is warmer at night in an urban heat island than with us Rural folk,the concrete and the roads act like a storage heater,even in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I wouldn't think my house is well insulated :P but ok haha. Haven't had the heating on since the cold days of April.

P.S. I live in Dublin 13 aka the suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Massive difference between MT and ME for the next 3 days, namely in terms of temperatures. Give Thursday as an example, MT saying 20-23c, ME saying 15-19c.

Looks like ME were right about this one. Another dull day here temp about 16/17 was for some reason expecting a better day. August has been rubbish tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I wouldn't think my house is well insulated :P but ok haha. Haven't had the heating on since the cold days of April.

I think it's just your own body temp that's off!

I had the electric blanket on last night.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I think it's just your own body temp that's off!

Knowing me probably :rolleyes::pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looks like ME were right about this one. Another dull day here temp about 16/17 was for some reason expecting a better day. August has been rubbish tbh.

easily the worst month so far since April. There's been a steady decline since the end of the May fine spells.

May was excellent across the country, bit cold in the east at times but there sure was lots of sunshine, everywhere enjoyed some warm days.

June was mostly dry and very warm in the east and south, but unsettled in the west and North-west at times.

July started off ok, few short lived warm spells in first half then the Atlantic has been in full control since mid July.

August hasn't seen any warm temps or fine spells, plenty of showers, some cool days and nights and only a few dry days with average temperatures.

I still get the feeling early to mid September may bring back the feeling of summer as it usually does with some fine, warm sunny days.

Would I be right in thinking that in our climate,on average,a majority of days in the year or perhaps near a majority are under 18c ?

Would I be right in thinking that in our climate,on average,a majority of days in the year or perhaps near a majority are under 18c ?

Go check the daily maximum temperature averages here for the synoptic stations: http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/30year-averages.asp

Can't open those zips on my phone
    I'd have thought you'd have a handle on it though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm originally from Baldoyle, near you. I now live in a rural area in the east midlands. Evenings/Nights where I live now are almost always MUCH cooler than back at home. Have often compared temperatures with my parents over the phone and after the sun goes down, my parents temperatures stay higher during settled summer weather.

On the flip side, during settled weather summer weather, my temperatures are usually higher during the day owing to the lack of sea breezes most of the time. During winter time, I'm usually colder than Baldoyle. During cold high pressure winter weather, I've encountered temperature drops not far off 10c driving the c. 50km from Baldoyle to home, if I leave my parents around sunset.
    Donaghmede and Baldoyle used to be at the border between the city and the countryside but large scale developments over recent years means there's a lot more tar/concrete to the immediate north of both areas, thus allowing more heat to be stored in the ground after dark. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you said that temperatures have been trending up since the large scale building developments began, a good few years ago. Maybe that could be something you could check out?

Can't open those zips on my phone
    I'd have thought you'd have a handle on it though?

I had a quick look just there at the stats for the Average maximum for each month at each of the stations mentioned.

Only July and August are above 18 for most of the stations, apart from kilkenny and Shannon,they are above 18 in June too.

Cool! If you pardon the pun
    The reason I brought it up was,our climate isn't going to change much if at all in our lifetimes and hasn't to date so no point complaining ,just enjoy the occasional anomalies if they're to your fancy :)

Yeah we are probably one of the countries that will get the least change from climate change and if anything, we will get more rain I'm sure!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tonight into tomorrows rainfall looks light but potential for high rainfall amounts Sun night into Monday.

tempresult_ojj5.gif

o4NvqzD.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mars Bar wrote: »

:eek:

I found last night, as I have found most nights this summer, insufferably warm.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Cool! If you pardon the pun
    The reason I brought it up was,our climate isn't going to change much if at all in our lifetimes and hasn't to date so no point complaining

The last true continental easterly we had in Winter occurred back in 2008, and even that was a very fleeting day or two affair. Something has changed in our climate, and one of the most notable and biggest features of this change has been the almost linear fall in mean wind speeds on an annual basis, milder winters and less and less storm activity, which to me points to an ever warming Arctic.

New Moon

How regular have easterlies ever been in the last 100 years though?
    I wouldn't get too caught up in those to determine climate has changed already to be honest

A countries Climate anyway is the weather prevailing there over a long period not a short one
    I wouldn't over analyse anything short term
    None of us will be around long enough to see the affects of all the muck modern life pumps into the atmosphere,we can only theorise

Is this thread Summer 2017 discussion or a debate about climate change? :P

Ah no it's relevant
    One cannot be giving out too much about our weather when it's our normal climate
    It hasn't changed yet give or take occasional anomalies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

That was two nice days in fairness. Not too hot and dry.

The last few nights have been cold enough

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thankfully last night wasn't as chilly as the two previous nights.

Gonzo wrote: »
    thankfully last night wasn't as chilly as the two previous nights.

I felt the opposite. Last night was beautifully cool here :pac:, I actually slept well for a change. I give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice and warm here too, not chilly at all for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Just back from an average of 29C in Malaga.

Great to be back to the gloom!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

LEIN wrote: »

No complaints......

LEIN wrote: »

I'll have no complaints soon as I'll be heading to Malaga/Fuengirola region soon enough!

Where you there 2 days ago, it reached 40C there on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Strangely enough the gloom today isn't bothering me, and I'm actually looking forward to the weather the winter could bring. Hopefully we'll have an exciting winter!

Maybe this is just me giving up hope of a heatwave, maybe it's just my hidden fondness of the Irish climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Drivin drizzle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Strangely enough the gloom today isn't bothering me, and I'm actually looking forward to the weather the winter could bring. Hopefully we'll have an exciting winter!

Maybe this is just me giving up hope of a heatwave, maybe it's just my hidden fondness of the Irish climate.

Well last winter was very quiet from what I remember very few storms this year can only be better hopefully

Advertisement