Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Well last winter was very quiet from what I remember very few storms this year can only be better hopefully

Yes, 2016/17 had only 5 named storms (none of which were in January) but 2015/16 had 11 named storms.

Listening to everybody complaining about it being such a boring Winter.....:rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

all I can remember from last winter was lots of dry days, thankfully very little rain or wind, very mild temperatures, barely any frost after a brief, dry cold spell in November and a few minutes of very wet snowfall.

I keep saying to myself every year 'sure next winter has to be better'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Actually very warm and humid here in the sunny spells here in Co.Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

''Tis warm out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

very warm in dublin, cloudy and close. Temp must be about 22 or 23.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very warm in dublin, cloudy and close. Temp must be about 22 or 23.

warmer than expected. it's better than the past 2 days which were meant to be the best days of the week. 20C here now making today the warmest day of August so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

40c+ would be my idea of hell on Earth
    I've experienced it a few times ,in Marseille for example and driving through Death Valley in the states and indeed on the highway too from San Francisco to LA
    We used turn on the car and leave the air con going for 5 mins before we all sat in to it
    Extremely uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'll have no complaints soon as I'll be heading to Malaga/Fuengirola region soon enough!

Where you there 2 days ago, it reached 40C there on Wednesday.

Got up to 36C in Benalmadena.
    Spent a chunk of that day in the hotel room under the air con.

I can live with 25 - 30C anything more and I'm out.

LEIN wrote: »
    Got up to 36C in Benalmádena.
    Spent a chunk of that day in the hotel room under the air con.

I was on holiday in Torremolinos in late July/early August 2009 and stayed in this hotel below, Sol Principe. Temperatures were up to 35c throughout it - I don't know how I survived it but it was my favourite holiday and I'd love to go back regardless of the heat.

AGP_69563_Sol_Principe_0115_01.jpg?w=680&h=454&mode=stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I was on holiday in Torremolinos in late July/early August 2009 and stayed in this hotel below, Sol Principe. Temperatures were up to 35c throughout it - I don't know how I survived it but it was my favourite holiday and I'd love to go back regardless of the heat.

The big blue swimming pools probably had a lot to do with your survival, and presumably some indoor air con! That's the problem here, no a/c and barely any outdoor pools for heat beyond the average, and not enough ploughs or snow chains for cold beyond the average.

• Advertisement

21.2 c currently in Arklow
    No complaints:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Try the Murcia region in August! Flipping heck its like the desert of Spain, searing heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Heat alone is fine I find, it's the humidity that makes it uncomfortable. I've experienced plenty of 40C+ days and as long as you stay out of direct sunlight it's not as bad at it sounds. A typical day in the tropics where it's 32C with 85% humidity is far worse, I spent most of the past year in Asia and you never get used to it

A far cry from any of that here in Donegal anyway, cool and breezy with spells of drizzle.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Try the Murcia region in August! Flipping heck its like the desert of Spain, searing heat!

How about trying Lanzarote in August? 'Cause I was in Lanzarote in August 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Breezy and warm bliss

pad199207 wrote: »
    Breezy and warm bliss

I don't remember any breeze - especially at night, but I was kind of lucky to have maximums of 29 or 30c only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Roll on Autumn. Days closing in, crispy chill in the evening as the accursed sun goes down and that distinctive and not unpleasant smell in the air that would portent a light frost. Bliss.

New Moon

You'd still go down to Murcia I'd say if you won it in a raffle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Misty drizzle most of the day in Castlebar, not pleasant when coupled with a moderate breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It turned into a gorgeous day here in the afternoon, max 22c (21.9c to be precise) The pattern of the odd good day in a non-descript summer continues.
    27 of St Swithin's 40 days gone, 13 to go! ;) ....... a pattern change?
    >

gfs-0-348.png?12

• Advertisement

just when i go away, easy to see that Ireland will enjoy some very warm and sunny conditions again, happens everytime I go to Spain. I missed the June 2013 heatwave for the same reason.

Lanzarote is a strange one, although August is a warm month, you can get very hot weather anytime from May to October. When there in June we got a day of 36c, I thought it was fairly bareable, even without the dip in the pool.

The 31c we got at 1am the next night was what was uncomfortable. Many apartments in Lanzarote don't have air conditioning, so the only way to sleep that night was to get well oiled.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Lanzarote is a strange one, although August is a warm month, you can get very hot weather anytime from May to October. When there in June we got a day of 36c, I thought it was fairly bareable, even without the dip in the pool.

The 31c we got at 1am the next night was what was uncomfortable. Many apartments in Lanzarote don't have air conditioning, so the only way to sleep that night was to get well oiled.

And in May 2015, they got up to 42.6c.

And in May 2015, they got up to 42.6c.

Remember I had friends over at that time, they spent that day in some air conditioned shop for a few hours that day iirc, with about 50 other people.

You can get temperatures in the 30's during January there, their Calimas are quite cool.

Another thing to remember the only official weather station is at the airport, which is located right on the edge of the sea, and temperatures there can be several degrees lower than just a few kilometres inland, so there's a fair possibility that temperatures higher than the airports records have been recorded.

friend of mine is going to Dubai for holidays today. Serious heat over there, much hotter generally than even Spain, mid 40s guaranteed every single day and often mid 30s at night. Hope they have air conditioning.

http://www.bbc.com/weather/292223

Today is a fine day here, mild at 17C. Making the most of the dryness as there will be plenty of wet days starting from tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Gonzo wrote: »
    friend of mine is going to Dubai for holidays today. Serious heat over there, much hotter generally than even Spain, mid 40s guaranteed every single day and often mid 30s at night. Hope they have air conditioning.

Is that even a "sun" holiday? They will be hiding from the weather every day. Sounds like hell to me.

Is that even a "sun" holiday? They will be hiding from the weather every day. Sounds like hell to me.

Its more like 39/40/41 every day and high twenties/low thirties at night

Still a little hot for my liking, and the heatwaves in Dubai are not nice, never been there, but temperatures of 50c aren't uncommon inland.

Rather than showing the very heavy rain for Friday 18th in England, now the models are showing the Azores High ridging up to us for a week :pac: bringing plenty of warm and sunny conditions after a low clears through on Friday 18th. Here we go again :rolleyes:.

Rather than showing the very heavy rain for Friday 18th in England, now the models are showing the Azores High ridging up to us for a week :pac: bringing plenty of warm and sunny conditions after a low clears through on Friday 18th. Here we go again :rolleyes:.

hopefully 4/5 days of warm, sunny, settled, bbq and cold garden beers weather before I head to Spain, we all deserve it, everywhere except Arklow has had to put up with mostly crap for the past month!:) I love warm spanish nights, but there is nothing like getting 25C in your own back yard... a bit like snow really!

• Advertisement

Gorgeous sunny morning in Arklow
    Warming up
    No complaints

Advertisement