Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Cannot describe the rain falling here now heaviest I have seen in years absolutely bucketing down incredible. Anyone else getting this

It looks like a trough and it looks like I'll be having it in Arklow within the hour,it's northern flank looks like it's going to cross Wicklow but stay south of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

We got close to Gale Force winds and sheets of rain in Sligo but no major lightning or rainfall amounts

Malin Head got 13.7mm in a shower today so you must be hvn something like that Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sky's are crazy dark in east Galway
    One sharp short shower knocked out satellite signal

Massive ones on way in about an hour by the looks of it

Grim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

km79 wrote: »
    Sky's are crazy dark in east Galway
    One sharp short shower knocked out satellite signal

Massive ones on way in about an hour by the looks of it

Grim

No complaints 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Sky gone very black to the West of Galway City now can see sheets of rain falling in the distance, wonder will there be any spark from this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Seems to be an extremely wet week ahead for the country though more concentrated on the west.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I found it very cold cycling to work this morning, almost glove wearing temperature! 3 weeks in sunny Spain on Sunday, suckers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

I found it very cold cycling to work this morning, almost glove wearing temperature! 3 weeks in sunny Spain on Sunday, suckers!!

Scary place these days

pad199207 wrote: »
    Scary place these days

The world is a scary place
    Let's not make this thread anymore depressing than it already is with the weather !

Absolutely bucketing down in Galway now and very very dark.

• Advertisement

This looks very ominous on the Net Weather Radar coming onto the West Coast, is that red line a squall line ??

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

I was looking at that myself. Not sure if it is a developing squall but it has the hallmarks of one but unusual in that there is moderate rain ahead of it and heavy rain behind it. A squall usually has a clearance behind it.

In any case, perhaps a warning needs to be posted up as I think there could be some flooding from this event in many places. If the current track persists, evening rush our in Dublin could be "interesting"!

Doesn't look like a squall line to me either. Seeing here on the Met Éireann radar, looks like showers merging together to form longer outbreaks of rain - even more intense than I expected:

bRXtESL.png

No complaints 😂

INCOMING
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

That blob is doing us no favours at all. Gradually turning to mush as it pushes eastwards.

It is keeping all the main instability south of Ireland, while U.K. gets all the fun and games.... again

Anything that can go wrong for thunderstorms in the country goes wrong!

Heaviest rain missed us
    It looked ominous

Just had an almighty haymaker here near Arklow
    Luckily I was between sheds so had somewhere to run to
    Lasted about 5 mins

Beginning to brighten up in the west
    May even be able to turn the lights off again
    Rejoice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »
    Heaviest rain missed us
    It looked ominous

Certainly didn't miss us! Was strange to see cars having to drive around with headlights on on a summer late morning/early afternoon. Got winterly dark for a while.

New Moon

It's visiting us now...
    Moderate rain currently
    Heavier bursts on the radar look like they will affect us also

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

some heavy blustery showers earlier, felt more like mid March than mid August.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Gonzo wrote: »
    some heavy blustery showers earlier, felt more like mid March than mid August.

To be honest, the wet and windy weather recently has felt very much like August weather to me, in that it seems to be getting more and more common every year. I can't remember 2015 well, but I remember last year being crap, and 2014 was awful.

And then there's the corresponding trend of Septembers being rather lovely. I think again, 2014 had the greatest contrast there.

Gone very wet here near Arklow now
    Only wait for it ... 11.6c :eek:

This time I think I agree with Gonzo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

MJohnston wrote: »
    To be honest, the wet and windy weather recently has felt very much like August weather to me, in that it seems to be getting more and more common every year. I can't remember 2015 well, but I remember last year being crap, and 2014 was awful.

And then there's the corresponding trend of Septembers being rather lovely. I think again, 2014 had the greatest contrast there.

August 2015 was only so so but still probably better then july 2015 .I remember there was a fine week in beginning of july and then another in mid august as i was lucky to make hay both times .Thinking back august 2013 was no great shakes either with low marshy ground flooded after heavy rain locally but we all remember 2013 as being a great summer!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cute geoge wrote: »
    August 2015 was only so so but still probably better then july 2015 .I remember there was a fine week in beginning of july and then another in mid august as i was lucky to make hay both times .Thinking back august 2013 was no great shakes either with low marshy ground flooded after heavy rain locally but we all remember 2013 as being a great summer!!!!

last summer and even August was much better here in the east than this summer. tbh I can't even remember the last time we had a good August across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Gonzo wrote: »
    last summer and even August was much better here in the east than this summer. tbh I can't even remember the last time we had a good August across the country.

I don't really understand climate science enough, but I suspect the Augusts that we've been getting are our new normal due to climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

More heavy rain in Donegal, I'd like to see the 24 hour total here since 4pm yesterday, must be above the 50mm mark

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Ireland
    Warm, humid conditions expected to develop on Sunday and lasting into the early days of next week will bring spells of heavy rain and the risk of local flooding. Details uncertain at this stage but current indications suggest that Northwestern coastal areas will be worst affected.

Valid:Sunday 20 August 2017 06:00 to Tuesday 22 August 2017 12:00

OUTLOOK: There is a high degree of uncertainty in the outlook as a consequence of ex-Hurricane Gert moving towards north-west Europe, therefore forecast details for Ireland are likely to change day to day. However, in general our weather looks set to remain changeable and rather unsettled. High rainfall totals are likely in places late Sunday and on Monday, especially across western and northwestern counties with the risk of localised spot flooding

Let's not start this climate change nonsense again. I've said before this is not the first time we've had a long run of poor Augusts. Cast your mind back to the 1920s or the Augusts from 1960-1974 - 14 years of poor Augusts! It's nature balancing itself out (Cold Winters is a whole different story) 'cause cast your minds back to 1995-2005 - or even 2006 in some places. Look how many good Augusts we had in there. There was 1995, 1997 in the north (in the south, it was atrociously bad), 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 (in the north and west), 2005 and 2006.

"Good" is a very subjective thing. I thought August 2016 was amazing. It was very warm here, rather wet - though more than 75% of the rain was recorded on 2 days and rather sunny. I loved August 2016.

As for August 2015, I liked that month. It had a good start in the east - the west was not good though. Then a sudden turn of the month happened on the 19th and from then on, there was little to no sunshine in parts and plenty of rain. Pretty cool throughout but there were some nice warm days in the first half and most notably on the 18th where the east had up to 24c. See the positive comments for 18 August 2015 here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057439607&page=101

August 2014 was rather good in the west, especially at Belmullet where it had its sunniest August since 1995. In the east, it was a miserable month with a deluge on the 2nd and briefly during ex-hurricane Bertha on the 10th. There was even some intense showers on the 5th which brought up to 20mm in parts here. Very cool August and the coldest August since 1993. The only worse August I've experienced in my life was August 2008 - although I hated August 2011 too.

• Advertisement

De
    Press
    ING

Advertisement