Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

You can sing that Km! Still it might mean a decent September. Good weather when we head back to our zoos. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

From the shorter range models, September is looking very decent. The CFSv2 begs to differ however with a rather cool September. Could be quite decent for Ireland but for the east of the UK, very wet and cold.

Did anybody notice the high rain totals from yesterday?

Malin Head - 31.3mm
    Belmullet - 14.8mm
    Finner Camp - 13.7mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Sunny in Arklow again and there's still a fire in it out of the wind
    Temp is back up to 15c from an afternoon low of 11.6 ( :eek: ) during the rain
    Yesterday evening even in the sunshine here was the first evening in this part of the southeast in a long while that I thought it felt Autumnal mainly due to the strength of the wind
    Same today and as I type a shower approaches

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Did anybody notice the high rain totals from yesterday?

Malin Head - 31.3mm
    Belmullet - 14.8mm
    Finner Camp - 13.7mm

36mm in the 24 hours to 4pm at Malin Head, would guess about 40-45mm here based off that as the immediate coast escaped most of the heavy rain today.

Looks like a wet couple of days from Sunday night into Tuesday could be in store up here as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

cute geoge wrote: »
    August 2015 was only so so but still probably better then july 2015 .I remember there was a fine week in beginning of july and then another in mid august as i was lucky to make hay both times .Thinking back august 2013 was no great shakes either with low marshy ground flooded after heavy rain locally but we all remember 2013 as being a great summer!!!!

Aside from one or 2 days, the last decent summer spell in August I can remember was way back in 2003!!

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Aside from one or 2 days, the last decent summer spell in August I can remember was way back in 2003!!

If it's a spell of hot, sunny and dry weather with temperature at least 25c for a few days, then you'd be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Probably the worst week of the summer so far? Wet every day and cooler also.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

road_high wrote: »
    Probably the worst week of the summer so far? Wet every day and cooler also.

No better or worse than any of the last 6 weeks in Galway

• Advertisement

Just for Monday's deluge, I'd say so though Tuesday and Thursday were very nice days here. Even today was nice here apart from the wind - I had lots of sunshine and no showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

km79 wrote: »
    No better or worse than any of the last 6 weeks in Galway

I'm in Kilkenny and it had been very good up to 3 week/month ago but with intermittent good, dry warm days. The past week I'd say it's been rain sometime every day or so, today very heavy rain. I've written off August at this stage, looking at the forecast here especially...roll on an Indian summer :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I have been pouring over the charts and I am in two minds whether I am seeing the remnants of Gert perhaps slow down it's progress towards us , even though it could be very wet in the W and NW we might be spared much of the earlier anticipated rainfall ( It might have dumped most of it before it reaches us as it begins to unwind and fill or will it still have a lot of moisture stored up and we get a fair portion of it over a couple of days?

The Fax charts below show a very slow moving cold front over us on Mon but this doesn't match the APPEGE below.

The models really struggled with this one and it has turned the earlier predicted weather for next week on it's head.

To me the charts at this stage look very poor for next week.

7aGRcA7.gif?1

zKEs4R8.gif?1

tempresult_vsg4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Love the twilights at this time of year. They seem to come in fast and have a curious pinky tinge about them.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ME thinking up to 24 on Tuesday.

Autumnal in the showers and wind today
    Back to college type weather

But Shur there's no use in complaining,you get nothing for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Stating fact about the weather is hardly complaining though is it? Fact is today is another bad day in a bad month of a mediocre summer.

No showers here since Thursday afternoon, still nice and sunny. No complaints :).

Stating fact about the weather is hardly complaining though is it? Fact is today is another bad day in a bad month of a mediocre summer.

But it's not fact, it's your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Clare and North Tipperary

This is an update to the previous weather advisory:

Warm, humid conditions expected to develop through Sunday, lasting into the early days of next week, will bring spells of heavy rain leading to potential accumulations of 30 to 50mm, with highest totals in the mountains.

Issued:Saturday 19 August 2017 13:00
    Valid:Sunday 20 August 2017 12:00 to Monday 21 August 2017 16:00

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

doesnt sound good for the next few days despite the warmth. I really need to get the lawn cut before Thursday, not sure will there be a chance with a wet lawn most of the week.

In Clonmel

However
    It's turned out a fine afternoon here plus the rain of the past few days has been great for the fields and gardens burnt up in our glorious mainly dry summer on the east southeast coast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'll tell you what is fact though which I was trying to get across last year. People were saying it was a rubbish Summer - sure it was in the west. I wasn't trying to argue with opinions. I was trying to state a fact based on the poulter index. In the Summer 2016 summary published by Met Éireann in September, it stated that the Poulter Index for Summer 2016 was average thus proving what I was trying to say. I wasn't very specific however as I never mentioned the words Poulter Index last year for some reason I will never understand.

Are you saying that the mashed up stats that make up the 'poulter index' is 'fact'? Sorry Syran, I disagree completely. People don't experience the weather through cold numerics and made up indexes, they experience it first hand. I don't care what the poulter index is or what it is supposed to represent, because I, like others, feel and see the weather every single day, and if I say its ****e, then its ****e.

Clonmel's opinion trumps 'fact' in this case, and it should not be belittled just because an 'index' says otherwise.

New Moon

Higher up cloud has been filling in here on the Kerry coast since about mid afternoon .Can clearly make out the fronts on the Sat Pic that will move up over us the next couple of days. The system seems to stall and move very slowly over the course of the next few days. Even at this stage the models differ a lot in rainfall amounts.

wikNa99.png?1

Bq7AWhX.jpg?1

DqEARcO.gif

Accumulations of Rainfall

XtPxWaC.png

xeUaLAJ.png

wZfMAxc.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I'll tell you what is fact though which I was trying to get across last year. People were saying it was a rubbish Summer - sure it was in the west. I wasn't trying to argue with opinions. I was trying to state a fact based on the poulter index. In the Summer 2016 summary published by Met Éireann in September, it stated that the Poulter Index for Summer 2016 was average thus proving what I was trying to say. I wasn't very specific however as I never mentioned the words Poulter Index last year for some reason I will never understand.

Sorry but it's fact where I live with all due respect sryan I couldn't give a fiddlers about an index.

I'm not trying to start anything guys.

Like 2 years ago, I was not with this index. I was very skeptical about it due to the fact that it's an index that shows how bad or good a Summer was. And ya know, bad and good are very subjective things. I find Summer 1986 the worst Summer in Ireland looking at the 5th August deluge and Hurricane Charley but the Poulter Index does not say so. Also, somebody could have a total different opinion in that they think the summers that seem bad to the majority of us could seem good to them. Summer 2010 is a notable one with me - as I think people underrate it too much.

If we were to go by the Poulter Index, Summer 1985 would be the worst with an index of 249, compared to Summer 1995 having an index of 440.

Looking at all this, I must have been brain dead because it's something so obvious.

Thank you for making me realise my (stupid) mistake. As a result, I edited the post.

At the end of the day though, my first sentence of that post lives on, it's your opinion, my opinion, everybody's opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Well like iv'e said before, i dont care much for stats because we can have all the stats in the world, but the whats it doing as i look out the window, will always be my preferred method of weather watching.

Anyway back to the here and now, dry and clear here ahead of Gert's arrival from tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Dry and Sunny here for the last 2 days, not looking forward to the rain forecasted but im off down the south wesht on monday for a few days so hopefully will get some good weather there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dry and Sunny here for the last 2 days, not looking forward to the rain forecasted but im off down the south wesht on monday for a few days so hopefully will get some good weather there

god loves an optimist I suppose :D

Advertisement