Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We have had 407mm of rain so far this summer in Castlebar, the second highest here since 2009 when we had 572mm, doubt we will top that number this year but we will still probably have double the precipitation as we had last summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/899228839607508992

Looking at the Rainfall prediction models this morning, the GFS seems to be an avg of the others.

EuA0ktd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

10mm at mace head last hour ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Is the prospect of good weather this week mentioned previously now dead in the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Is the prospect of good weather this week mentioned previously now dead in the water?

It was dead days ago. Tomorrow and Tuesday will be very warm days however, especially in the south and east.

• Advertisement

Is that it then for August would you reckon sryan?

My guess would be yes. There is a large division on the outlook for late August and early September however. Some models are going for very summery weather as soon as school is back open - see the FI Charts thread but others are going for some very autumnal weather.

I will be releasing my final Autumn thoughts or forecast on Tuesday, 29 August.

As for my Summer forecast, I think I'll give myself a D or E. It started off all fine but then went down the drain.

August has been a total letdown I'd mark July as ok with some meh days and some good days and June other than one very nice week which effectively amounted to our summer has nothing hectic either. Just an opinion of course.

August has been a total letdown I'd mark July as ok with some meh days and some good days and June other than one very nice week which effectively amounted to our summer has nothing hectic either. Just an opinion of course.

Remind me to never take risks like that again :o. The CFSv2 and the analogues were showing a poor August but I went completely against them.

Love the last sentence :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Has rained here in south east for past hour or so solid- so is that it? Safe to venture out now according to rainfall radar? I thought it was supposed to be a much longer affair? Or am I missing something and there's more on the way? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Has rained here in south east for past hour or so solid- so is that it? Safe to venture out now according to rainfall radar? I thought it was supposed to be a much longer affair? Or am I missing something and there's more on the way? Thanks.

Where are you exactly in the southeast?

Sorry should have said- Kilkenny

Sorry should have said- Kilkenny

Yeah, Kilkenny wasn't expected to have much rain or problems from Gert's precipitation. Kilkenny wasn't one of the counties/provinces mentioned in Met Éireann's yellow status warning for the rain.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah, Kilkenny wasn't expected to have much rain or problems from Gert's precipitation. Kilkenny wasn't one of the counties/provinces mentioned in Met Éireann's yellow status warning for the rain.

Thank you Sryanbruen...you are right- delighted its passed us now-will venture out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is August a total write off (yet again)? Seems to have gotten progressively worse, the past week was awful here ay any rate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Totals projected by the HIRLAM model up to midnight tomorrow:

accprecip_043.jpg

Seems we are in a bit of a rain shadow here in NE Galway with only spits of rain now and again.

New Moon

Has the rainfall been overestimated?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Miserable month. Off to Spain today for 3 weeks. Hope is pisses rain the whole time I'm here, miserable country!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Miserable month. Off to Spain today for 3 weeks. Hope is pisses rain the whole time I'm here, miserable country!

So u hope it pisses rain in Spain for the three weeks,u must love the rain😅

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

road_high wrote: »
    Is August a total write off (yet again)? Seems to have gotten progressively worse, the past week was awful here ay any rate

I would chalk this August up to be a write-off. No fine spells, no real warmth. Last fine spell was short lived and during early July. July had some nice warm and dry days but they were spread apart. August didn't even get that. It's rained at some point almost every day this month and we had some very cool evenings and days. The bbq hasn't been used since July either after heavy usage during May and June. Yep this summer got progressively worse from the end of June. It seems like we've been stuck under the same low pressure with cool muck from the north-west for the past 4 to 5 weeks!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Cannon_fodder

Contemplated packing away my BBQ and building an indoor BBQ given the weather is so unpredictable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm just amazed anyone would buy a BBQ set in this country.

road_high wrote: »

I seem to be in the minority for thinking July was a write off. I hated July. The first half was dry but very dull. The second half was cold - apart from the first few days, but sunny and wet.

As for August, there has only been 2 very poor days here, last Monday and today. Other than that, August has been poor for warmth but the sunshine has made it nice.

Unpopular opinion - June was alright, July was rubbish, August has been mediocre to slightly ok.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm just amazed anyone would buy a BBQ set in this country.

worth it for the dry, warm and sunny days we do get. Used it plenty last summer and the first half of this summer. A 150 euros set from Argos is all you need in this country, we don't really get the summer's to be spending much more on it. Having said that my uncle uses his bbq 52 weeks of the year and just eats the food indoors. he prefers it to normal oven cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looking at the radar it seems to be clearing from the West , thought this was to last until tomorrow is there more to come

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Looking at the radar it seems to be clearing from the West , thought this was to last until tomorrow is there more to come
    I asked earlier if precipitation amounts had been overestimated and I'm hopeful they have

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I seem to be in the minority for thinking July was a write off. I hated July. The first half was dry but very dull. The second half was cold - apart from the first few days, but sunny and wet.

As for August, there has only been 2 very poor days here, last Monday and today. Other than that, August has been poor for warmth but the sunshine has made it nice.

Unpopular opinion - June was alright, July was rubbish, August has been mediocre to slightly ok.

Where are you? I'm in kilkenny and the south east and July on balance was not bad. It was quite warm for much of it.
    It's this past week that's gotten to me- we've had very heavy rainfall and it rained every 24 hours at some stage or other. Very difficult harvest for tillage farmers as there's been so little sustained dry periods together.
    Some days here and there have been lovely but it always seems to rain overnight or heavy showers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The AROME Rainfall prediction and accumulation showing heavy rain in the W around now but not showing up on the latest radar. Predicting very heavy in the W, NW and N tomorrow.

Xw1MI4m.png

tempresult_qyw0.gif

cek7TcQ.png

31Ys0KE.gif

km79 wrote: »
    I asked earlier if precipitation amounts had been overestimated and I'm hopeful they have

I think they underestimated here in kilkenny- truly dreadful day and easily one of the wettest of the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looking at at ME forecast at 1pm this was down in the West until tomorrow, clearing now Sun trying to break through the clouds, me thinks they have been caught out with this system and how far it would go over the Country

Advertisement