Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Some blue sky starting to appear here near Arklow now
    A very very muggy feeling 18c

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Stopped raining and it's balmy out !

Yeah very Sweaty
    Here's the Sun!
    Now 19c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rain finally stopping here, lots of surface water on the side roads. These past 7 days has seen the wettest week here in over a year. I have a feeling August will finish with rainfalls well above normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just crossed the Tipperary border, and i can confirm there is not much sun here, its very cloudy, but its dry and warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Utterly miserable day in Galway city. Torrential rain all morning that's now turned into very heavy mist. Temp is 19 degrees, dew point probably isn't far off that. The air is like soup. Rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In salthill galway, it's like a cool steam room, so heavy and close, it's cool if you stay still but the second you start walking or running you get very warm!

Very calm also

It's a weird auld day !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Rain has stopped in Castlebar but we got about 15mm this morning, currently 17.7C and 97% humidity making it feel very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The sun is breaking through in Wesht Clare, fairly warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Conditions right now would be great for a good thunderstorm in Galway its so warm and humid, if the Sun came out it the temp would be in the mid 20s

21.6 c in Arklow
    Wasn't expecting that!
    Suns been out a fair bit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sun has finally made an appearance here and temperatures have finally made it to 21C making it the warmest day of the month so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm not getting the sun. Very overcast and dark today here. As ronnie3585 said, utterly miserable.

Same in Galway

Back to heavy rain in Castlebar for the last two hours or so after a small dry spell, the sun has not been seen once here today.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I seem to be in the minority for thinking July was a write off. I hated July. The first half was dry but very dull. The second half was cold - apart from the first few days, but sunny and wet.

As for August, there has only been 2 very poor days here, last Monday and today. Other than that, August has been poor for warmth but the sunshine has made it nice.

Unpopular opinion - June was alright, July was rubbish, August has been mediocre to slightly ok.

I take it back about August, this has to be the worst August I have experienced since 2011 for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

18.0c with 96% humidity & Td 17c and no breeze. Everything feels damp both inside and out.

Roll on Autumn.

New Moon

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'm not getting the sun. Very overcast and dark today here. As ronnie3585 said, utterly miserable.

I spoke too soon, had about 3 minutes of sun today, rest of today has been dark, cloudy and damp after downpours all last night to lunchtime today. A waste of 21C really

At this stage I've thrown in the towel for Summer 2017 and at this stage wouldn't mind a continuation of a strong Atlantic for the next few months in hope that it will quieten down around November and stay quiet till March 2018!.

Yeah and tomorrow is looking worse than expected. Yesterday, I was expecting maximums of up to 22c for Tuesday or even higher with some sun. Now it looks like 19 or 20c with plenty of cloud and some outbreaks of rain.

I would be very open to an Autumn like 2016 and Winter like 2016/17 again - without the humidity of September and the utter miserable nature of February please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Raining in Donegal for the past 6 hours or so, same old..

Would echo the comments about autumn, it's been one of the most non descript and uneventful summers I can remember around here, I can't recall a single day that had anything noteworthy. No heat, no thunder, no heavy showers, no clear sunny days, just overcast and 15-17C almost every single day

10mm in belmullet last hourly report

We got away very light the past week
    Could have been much worse

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just 0.8mm here near Tralee early morning

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/899758039346978819

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Raining in Donegal for the past 6 hours or so, same old..

Would echo the comments about autumn, it's been one of the most non descript and uneventful summers I can remember around here, I can't recall a single day that had anything noteworthy. No heat, no thunder, no heavy showers, no clear sunny days, just overcast and 15-17C almost every single day

Same on my place on the North Mayo coast since the start of June. Tis a bit of puzzle to be honest cos most of the bad summers like 2007, 2008, 2011,2012,2015 etc. appeared to be caused by HP over Greenland/Iceland redirecting Atlantic muck down over us. Yet this summer theres was little if any HP over those regions and the summer was still pretty poor:(.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Same on my place on the North Mayo coast since the start of June. Tis a bit of puzzle to be honest cos most of the bad summers like 2007, 2008, 2011,2012,2015 etc. appeared to be caused by HP over Greenland/Iceland redirecting Atlantic muck down over us. Yet this summer theres was little if any HP over those regions and the summer was still pretty poor:(.
    I think you lads in the north-west have been particularly hard done by this year; down here in the south and east we've had a perfectly respectable summer. Nothing for the record books, but any number of pleasantly mild and bright shirtsleeve days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Midnight met reports. Casement 19 degrees

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like showers already starting to build in a line roughly from Cork to Dundalk.

Orange warning out.

STATUS ORANGE

Thunder Warning for Ireland
    Widespread thundery activity expected this afternoon and evening.

Issued:Tuesday 22 August 2017 11:00
    Valid:Tuesday 22 August 2017 12:00 to Tuesday 22 August 2017 23:00

High daily rainfalls from yesterday

Mace Head - 35.3mm
    Newport - 31.4mm
    Belmullet - 30.0mm
    Claremorris - 24.2mm
    Gurteen - 22.0mm
    Knock Airport - 21.4mm
    Athenry - 15.4mm
    Mt Dillon - 14.6mm
    Finner Camp - 14.3mm
    Mullingar - 13.5mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very heavy rain for the last two hours in Leitrim. Localised flooding. Also this rain is falling on saturated ground. Not good for man or beast.
    Dreadful summer, just awful.

Advertisement