Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry and bright here in castlebar with warm sunshine breaking through

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

ME's prediction of today's temperatures getting into the 20s only a few days ago is now a distant memory. 16.3c now.
    This August is now turning what was a mediocre summer into a poor one.
    The sight of flowers rotting in the garden due to low temperatures, dampness, wet and constant gloom is a depressing sight more like late September and October. Moan over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

was warm this morning but much fresher now, still grey skies, had a rain shower and everywhere still wet from the downpours of the past 7-10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Even here it has been unusually wet at times during the summer. So I can only imagine how bad it is if you were holidaying in the west of Ireland this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Pouring down very heavy rain in Donegal, awful day out there.

Feel sorry for the tourists, seen a big bus load of walkers across the road a while ago, everyone decked out in full winter rain gear

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the next few days may be a bit more promising for the eastern side of the country, maybe low 20s at the weekend and dry, but in no way is it enough to save this August.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sun and blue skies in west clare today, and feeling warm

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dull damp
    Smell of turf fires in the air

It's like the middle of October
    Every day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Summer rainfall totals (national average) up to August 21 since 2007: Data from Met Éireann

chart.png

Heavy, dense motionless sky here with low scud moving in all directions. Very very humid and close.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Dull damp
    Smell of turf fires in the air

It's like the middle of October
    Every day
    Heavens have now opened

pouring rain here now too. Most people nearby with their winter rain gear on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sun and blue skies in west clare today, and feeling warm

Didn't believe you, but Yup, sun's out here in West Clare but a fair bit of cloud around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TwoToneRebel

Absolute hack of the weather today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The mother rang to let me know they're having a great thunderstorm at home, and the power is gone because of it, i knew i'd regret coming down here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The mother rang to let me know they're having a great thunderstorm at home, and the power is gone because of it, i knew i'd regret coming down here

Yeah, I'm only getting the thunderstorm now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Ok so it's taken me 37 years to accept it but we don't get anything resembling a summer in Ireland. It's cold for 6 to 8 months and mostly windy and rainy, and for a few months it's mostly windy and rainy but not as cold. You get maybe 7 days at most blue skies and warm in the year.
    I'm on the Med now for the next three weeks and I forgot how amazing it to just be able to cook your dinner and take it outside and eat it on the patio. Or cycling is pure bliss. You can actually make plans to do stuff outside. I know Arklow has similar conditions to where I am now, but apart from that, it's no wonder we're always in the bleedin' pub. Greetings from the Sunny Med, I just need to figure out a way to work from home while living here...

completely avoided that thunderstorm, just drab, murky, damp muck all day. Similar crap to nearly every day for the past 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Ok so it's taken me 37 years to accept it but we don't get anything resembling a summer in Ireland. It's cold for 6 to 8 months and mostly windy and rainy, and for a few months it's mostly windy and rainy but not as cold. You get maybe 7 days at most blue skies and warm in the year.
    I'm on the Med now for the next three weeks and I forgot how amazing it to just be able to cook your dinner and take it outside and eat it on the patio. Or cycling is pure bliss. You can actually make plans to do stuff outside. I know Arklow has similar conditions to where I am now, but apart from that, it's no wonder we're always in the bleedin' pubs. Greetings from the Sunny Med, I just need to figure out a way to work from home while living here...
    Probably the best post on this thread I've seen. Bang on the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Luckily in south east Laois we seem to have escaped the worst of the rain and thunder today.

August has turned into a very poor summer month, pure muck weather with nothing better in sight.

• Advertisement

I never usually (well i think anyway!) post with too much negativity but as regards the weather now i'm looking forward to the winter threads!!

The annual watch for snow that begins with advance model watching in late October. And if not cold at least storm watching!

Don't get me wrong it's been far from the worst summer we've had, plenty of nice weather in June and July, but without a one week spell or over of hot weather.

However August has felt more like a wet October (warmth of yesterday aside) and the general darkness lent a feeling of inevitability that the summer was over a fortnight ago. There seemed no real hope of summer getting going.

When you end up watching Fair City most evenings in August you have a problem:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

nagdefy wrote: »
    I never usually (well i think anyway!) post with too much negativity but as regards the weather now i'm looking forward to the winter threads!!

The annual watch for snow that begins with advance model watching in late October. And if not cold at least storm watching!

Don't get me wrong it's been far from the worst summer we've had, plenty of nice weather in June and July, but without a one week spell or over of hot weather.

However August has felt more like a wet October (warmth of yesterday aside) and the general darkness lent a feeling of inevitability that the summer was over a fortnight ago. There seemed no real hope of summer getting going.

Come on and join the train here for Winter :D:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057771366

But this "winter" is the exact same as our "summer". It'll be 5 to 10 Celsius colder. Apart from that the exact same. What's the point in even discussing it any more!

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Come on and join the train here for Winter :D:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057771366

Ha ha! Thanks sryan:)

But this "winter" is the exact same as our "summer". It'll be 5 to 10 Celsius colder. Apart from that the exact same. What's the point in even discussing it any more!

Well not exactly. You get nice surprises like summer 2013, July having well over half it's days 25C plus and sunny here. August 2003, July 2006 etc. And you get months of true winter like January 2010, February 2010, December 2010, February 1991, March 2013 etc. An rud is annamh is iontach!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Give me 15° and damp over 38° and suffocating any day. A nice consistent 25° would be tempting though.

nagdefy wrote: »
    Well not exactly. You get nice surprises like summer 2013, July having well over half it's days 25C plus and sunny here. August 2003, July 2006 etc. And you get months of true winter like January 2010, February 2010, December 2010, February 1991, March 2013 etc. An rud is annamh is iontach!

Apart from 91 which I don't remember, I wasn't living in Ireland during all those times. I find it hard to believe half of July 2013 was over 25... seriously? I was living in London at the time and it was 33c one day, insufferable in a city like that. Maybe I should stay away for good so we can have more weather variation!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

To be fair usually it reaches 26/27c for a few days each summer, so it's not rubbish constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

To be fair usually it reaches 26/27c for a few days each summer, so it's not rubbish constantly.

In 3 months or 90 days a few days is pretty rubbish. We're splitting hairs here. You'd wonder what the hacks who publish their sweltering August stories think now.

Advertisement