Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No clouds here in West Clare now bar ones far in the horizon. Pity its so late, only 16.6c with a max of 21.1 earluer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I've had three consecutive days now with under 0.5 hours of sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Apart from 91 which I don't remember, I wasn't living in Ireland during all those times. I find it hard to believe half of July 2013 was over 25... seriously? I was living in London at the time and it was 33c one day, insufferable in a city like that. Maybe I should stay away for good so we can have more weather variation!

It sure was. Up to 31C.

Here's a link. Look at each daily temperature on the summary.

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2013-Jul.pdf

And the mother and father of all irish summer months, August 1995.

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-1995-Aug.pdf

A good few very good summer months and winter ones if you start looking.

Apart from 91 which I don't remember, I wasn't living in Ireland during all those times. I find it hard to believe half of July 2013 was over 25... seriously? I was living in London at the time and it was 33c one day, insufferable in a city like that. Maybe I should stay away for good so we can have more weather variation!

On the link i sent i counted 18 days over 25C on the daily reports at the end of the summary, July 2013. About 4 were between 23-25C.

And August 1995 had a whopping 28 out of 31 days over 24C, 20 days over 25C. I don't know will that ever be equalled. The warmest month on record in Ireland with high nightime maxima too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That 1995 August as pretty awful for the heat, hard to want that again.

Horrid muck along the south coast, looking forward to the sun tomorrow. If it turns up.

• Advertisement

That 1995 August as pretty awful for the heat, hard to want that again.

Horrid muck along the south coast, looking forward to the sun tomorrow. If it turns up.

I loved every minute of it! Was working outdoors 8am to 10pm. That's the way, we all have differing weather preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well what a day. Started raining just after 11am. And yes it's still raining now at 11pm.
    Now, what did I do with those plans for an Ark?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Strange day in Castlebar, for all the warnings we had one shower all day after nearly 30mm of rain yesterday, it felt very close though, still does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Pouring rain again in Donegal, cool and breezy, another horrible day

High daily rainfalls yesterday

Malin Head - 77.2mm
    Finner Camp - 31.8mm
    Mt Dillon - 26.4mm
    Markree - 23.8mm
    Ballyhaise - 16.7mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Have to say, as i travelled around parts of the south west for the last couple of days, i couldnt believe the amount of little streams overflowing and water lying in fields, real contrast to the rain i seen in my area of meath over the summer, it would seem like we got feck all compared to down there

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

77mm !
    Yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Have to say, as i travelled around parts of the south west for the last couple of days, i couldnt believe the amount of little streams overflowing and water lying in fields, real contrast to the rain i seen in my area of meath over the summer, it would seem like we got feck all compared to down there

Passed Glenmacnass Waterfall the other day there after the heavy East coast rain, and it was like Niagara Falls!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

km79 wrote: »
    77mm !
    Yikes

Something like 63mm of that was in 6 hours (according to Gerry Fleming of MetE) and of that, 32mm fell in two hours, between 7 and 9pm.

km79 wrote: »
    77mm !
    Yikes

Yeah, I thought it was a typo at first on the Yesterday's Weather page but it wasn't and now Malin Head's rainfall total for August 2017 is 152.9mm, its wettest August since 2009.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Doesn't look like were gonna get the traditional early September heatwave/warm spell which took hold of all western Europe early last September including Ireland.

Even Spain doesn't look as hot as it was last year with temps along the south coast averaging 27-30C, last September the temps in the same area were averaging 32-38C. The cooler air over Ireland and Uk looks like making attempts at sinking southwards into France, maybe as far as northern Spain at times over the next 7-10 days so I am unlikely to be blasted by a southern spanish heatwave, while the hotter air may move between north africa and on up to Poland/eastern Europe.

Looks like my maximum temperature for August 2017 will stand at only 21.4c, my second lowest on record.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Looks like my maximum temperature for August 2017 will stand at only 21.4c, my second lowest on record.

Still almost 1/3 of August to go!

High here (in Dublin 16), so far this month, was 22.7c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

21C here too and just barely for like 1 or 2 hours. 4 days of 20C. There were at least 2 days were the daytime temperatures did not go north of 14C.

There may be hope that 21C could be beaten before August is over. Still an embarrassing bad August for warm weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Gonzo wrote: »
    Doesn't look like were gonna get the traditional early September heatwave/warm spell which took hold of all western Europe early last September including Ireland.

Even Spain doesn't look as hot as it was last year with temps along the south coast averaging 27-30C, last September the temps in the same area were averaging 32-38C. The cooler air over Ireland and Uk looks like making attempts at sinking southwards into France, maybe as far as northern Spain at times over the next 7-10 days so I am unlikely to be blasted by a southern spanish heatwave, while the hotter air may move between north africa and on up to Poland/eastern Europe.

It's beautiful here in Murcia, nice breeze and temps of around 29/30c every day. That's exactly how I like it. Hopefully it stays this way for the next 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Still almost 1/3 of August to go!

'Almost' 1/3 of August to go = exactly 1/4 of August to go.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    'Almost' 1/3 of August to go = exactly 1/4 of August to go.

So there's 36 days in August now??? :P

Still 9 days to the end of the month (including today that is...).

So there's 36 days in August now??? :P

Still 9 days to the end of the month (including today that is...).

Today is the 23rd, meaning that 3/4 of the month is behind thee.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Today is the 23rd, meaning that 3/4 of the month is behind thee.

Split the difference....as of today, there is 29% of August left to go.

I didn't realise this was Maths class. I'm out :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

High daily rainfalls yesterday

Malin Head - 77.2mm
    Finner Camp - 31.8mm
    Mt Dillon - 26.4mm
    Markree - 23.8mm
    Ballyhaise - 16.7mm

Lough Fea: 61 mm
    Carndonagh (Met Éireann volunteer): 81.4 mm (09-09Z)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Hardly any rainfall recorded here yesterday, strange!

My august rainfall so far is 71mm, with 36.8 of that within the last 7 days.

Split the difference....as of today, there is 29% of August left to go.

As of the time of my posting (19.29) 73.6% of August was behind us, meaning 26.4% remained.

:)

New Moon

It's beautiful here in Murcia, nice breeze and temps of around 29/30c every day. That's exactly how I like it. Hopefully it stays this way for the next 3 weeks.

I'll be in Malaga by the morning. Next Monday and Tuesday could be unsettled as the colder air plunges south and could produce lots of heavy rain and thunderstorms across many parts of Spain. I wouldn't mind a proper thunderstorm but I've seen enough rain in Ireland over the past month to not care if I see rain for another 6 months!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The question must be asked how come a red warning wasn't in place for the event n Ulster. I assume the rain was obviously a lot heavier than they anticipated. I'm aware they had a yellow rain warning for Donegal along with an orange warning for thunder storm and spot flooding.

Advertisement