Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not trying to be funny....but the answer is in your own question.
    Pangea wrote: »
    The rain was obviously a lot heavier than they anticipated.

It's weather and the finer details of same are unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny....but the answer is in your own question.

It's weather and the finer details of same are unpredictable.

That's why I added 'i assume' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Hardly any rainfall recorded here yesterday, strange!

My august rainfall so far is 71mm, with 36.8 of that within the last 7 days.

I recorded 10.3mm from Sunday to Tuesday with Tuesday having only 0.7mm of rainfall. So you're not alone - Monday and Tuesday were meant to be dry days anyway for me. Of course, they were not. Instead they were humid and overcast with patchy rain. I failed to reach 20c during the remnants of Gert.

I've had 67.2mm and 42.9mm of that fell during the deluge on Monday 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Persistent heavy rain all morning again in Donegal, depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Yellow warning now issued

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Donegal
    Further spells of heavy rain are expected to affect the northwest of the country through today and tomorrow with the potential for 25 to 40mm to accumulate in 24 hours in county Donegal. Greatest totals about higher ground.

Issued:Thursday 24 August 2017 12:00
    Valid:Thursday 24 August 2017 18:00 to Friday 25 August 2017 18:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yellow warning now issued

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Donegal
    Further spells of heavy rain are expected to affect the northwest of the country through today and tomorrow with the potential for 25 to 40mm to accumulate in 24 hours in county Donegal. Greatest totals about higher ground.

Issued:Thursday 24 August 2017 12:00
    Valid:Thursday 24 August 2017 18:00 to Friday 25 August 2017 18:00

Poor Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Another warning now issued at 1500 from Met Eireann in addition to the Donegal warning

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    A spell of heavy rain will affect Mayo, west Galway, Sligo, and Leitrim, through the rest of today, tonight and tomorrow. Totals of 25 mm expected generally, but there is the potential for 35mm on higher ground.

Issued:Thursday 24 August 2017 15:00
    Valid:Thursday 24 August 2017 15:00 to Friday 25 August 2017 15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Honestly today has been one of the worst days of a dreadful summer
    Wet and so cold

It's been feeling very cool here today but with nice sunny spells all the while.

Yr.no showed no rain forecast at all for today or tonight.
    None in fact for next few days
    It's always the hope that kills you ;(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It was fairly fine in Phoenix Park there for the last few hours - the tiniest sprinkle of rain for a few seconds, but dry, warm, and occasionally sunny. Like most of the summer, only with a slightly higher threat of rain!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some big accumulations again going into tomorrow especially for Donegal and W Galway.

cCO8uGG.gif

egAN48J.png

looks like we JUST escape again but I feel sorry for those in the NW

• Registered Users Posts: 31,868 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jesus christ the country got a right bashing for the week I was away. Just arrived in from Dubrovnik this evening and I'm frozen!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

Is there anywhere online you can check for past summers. I know met eireann have files you can download going back to the Mid 1980s but is there anywhere online you can go back further to see old records?

Sean 18 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere online you can check for past summers. I know met eireann have files you can download going back to the Mid 1980s but is there anywhere online you can go back further to see old records?

Is there anything in particular you would like? I will do articles on them for you in the Irish Weather Statistics thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Is there anything in particular you would like? I will do articles on them for you in the Irish Weather Statistics thread.
    That's great thanks well I suppose would like to see the summer / winter forecast s in the 60s 70s any extremes etc would ideally like to go back as far as the 40s to the time of the big snow event in 1947 I think but I know that's nigh impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »

At least they get interesting weather!! :o

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Don't say that to the first two callers on Joe Duffy today :eek:
    One of them had her house totally destroyed by a bolt of lightning,caving in the roof and back wall,not to mention the wall of water and mud that flowed through
    Then the boulders that rolled down from the mountain pushing her now wrote off 171 car into the kitchen

She's hoping her insurance will cover her...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very heavy rain last night and this morning.
    Brutal.

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

I would not find losing my house interesting !
    I don't find rain interesting sure we see it over 300 days a year :D
    Now a real heatwave for weeks on end
    That interests me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hoping for a clearance today, we have had close to 40mm of rain in Castlebar between yesterday afternoon and this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

There was no rain at all recorded here yesterday or today. It's currently cloudy with a temperature of 16.0C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Beautiful weather here in southern Spain 26c with a nice sea breeze, very comfortable and a true feeling of Summer. However a big change here from Sunday with a 3 day cool spell with some rain and thunderstorms as the cold air from NW Europe mixes with the hot air

Only Newport had a very wet day (day with 10mm or more) yesterday of the Yesterday's Weather stations with a daily rainfall of 10.2mm.

Sean 18 wrote: »
    That's great thanks well I suppose would like to see the summer / winter forecast s in the 60s 70s any extremes etc would ideally like to go back as far as the 40s to the time of the big snow event in 1947 I think but I know that's nigh impossible

Ok I'll look into them for you, keep your eyes on the Irish Weather Statistics thread :).

Who says I've not been working on a secret article of Winter 1946/47 all year? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

0.4mm recorded here in the last 24 hours, nothing since midnight.

Amazing that only a few KM away there was a yellow warning for rainm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

And sunny now here in West Clare, 4kt wind and 17.5c.

I would not find losing my house interesting !
    I don't find rain interesting sure we see it over 300 days a year :D
    Now a real heatwave for weeks on end
    That interests me

You paint the picture that it is always raining. Just looking at my records for this year so far, over 95% of the time there was no rain recorded. If you view the data available on the Met site, you will find pretty much the same story for stations in the west.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Don't say that to the first two callers on Joe Duffy today :eek:
    One of them had her house totally destroyed by a bolt of lightning,caving in the roof and back wall,not to mention the wall of water and mud that flowed through
    Then the boulders that rolled down from the mountain pushing her now wrote off 171 car into the kitchen

She's hoping her insurance will cover her...

I guess on a weather forum we should not be talking about interesting weather then. Come winter, no doubt most will be seeking severe cold and snow, which can and does cause utter chaos to society, destruction to homes (burst pipes etc) and even death.

But I suppose it is all about selectivity of what is 'interesting' and what isn't.

New Moon

Advertisement