Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Even wising for 'very good' weather (i.e. a heatwave, as I saw mentioned earlier), has it's own dangers too!

The 2003 European heatwave is estimated to have killed 70,000 people!!! :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave

That would probably be more than all other weather related deaths, in Europe, for the last century!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Sean 18 wrote: »
    That's great thanks well I suppose would like to see the summer / winter forecast s in the 60s 70s any extremes etc would ideally like to go back as far as the 40s to the time of the big snow event in 1947 I think but I know that's nigh impossible
    Tons of info here on the winter of 1946-47.
    http://www.swanstonweather.co.uk/Pages/SitePlan.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry with sunny spells here in castlebar and just light winds. Nice end to a bad week of weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Dirty evening here. Raining the last half hour and very dull all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I guess on a weather forum we should not be talking about interesting weather then. Come winter, no doubt most will be seeking severe cold and snow, which can and does cause utter chaos to society, destruction to homes (burst pipes etc) and even death.

But I suppose it is all about selectivity of what is 'interesting' and what isn't.

Well breaking my leg in 3 or 4 places resulting in gangrene and having to have it cut off is also probably interesting but no thanks
    There's a fine line between having a technical interest in extreme weather and even in being interested in experiencing it but not in being a victim of its destructive force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Well breaking my leg in 3 or 4 places resulting in gangrene and having to have it cut off is also probably interesting but no thanks
    There's a fine line between having a technical interest in extreme weather and even in being interested in experiencing it but not in being a victim of its destructive force.

Then you go on to comment on Gonzo's post:

"Well at least you'll experience lightning".

I'm not going to apologise for being an extreme weather lover. Of course, no one wants to see anybody losing out but it goes with the territory. Just as some people enjoy cars, racing, flying, or whatever. All dangerous hobbies that have killed many people or caused them serious injuries.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Then you go on to comment on Gonzo's post:

"Well at least you'll experience lightning".

I'm not going to apologise for being an extreme weather lover. Of course, no one wants to see anybody losing out but it goes with the territory. Just as some people enjoy cars, racing, flying, or whatever. All dangerous hobbies that have killed many people or caused them serious injuries.

Did I ask you to apologise?
    With respect,you're too sensitive

A lot of people like extreme weather,but most of them know when to start disliking it or frankly telling it to fcuk off even though that's irrealisable

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Oneric, as someone interested in weather, it's only reasonable that this passion goes hand in hand with a like for extreme weather. While it causes destruction, you can't control it, so you may as well take some excitement out of it. Being in awe of mother nature and the weather is quite amazing, and frankly the types of weather that can be thrown at us is exciting anyway.

You can proof against the weather, but you can't stop the weather.

Also, you seem to be getting equally as annoyed, so I'd suggest that it's quite ironic to be calling Oneric "sensitive"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I love snow but do I like any impacts it has on people's lives or health? No I don't. That does not make me dislike snow however.

• Advertisement

I'm not annoyed at all
    In fact I've no complaints :D

I'm not annoyed at all
    In fact I've no complaints :D

Ah for god sake :pac:. You just had to pull that, didn't you? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some decent temperatures forecast for today. Cloud beginning to break up here in Tralee after a foggy morning. 17.2C atm and calm.

Kj2onYk.png

A persistent drizzle dropped 1.8mm here in West Clare overnight, very unexpected.

I think what he meant to say is that rain rarely does be heavy even though it rains often.

Mod Edit : Removed quote from Dr Crayfish as it was in breach of the forum charter.

The last rain I remember here is more than 3 or 4 days ago and a settled spell hasn't even been called yet for the whole island
    As I said before on this thread when my mum moved here from the west nearly 60 years ago ,she couldn't get over how dry the summers were compared to home
    It's particularally noticeable in the stretch from south Dublin coastal to Rosslare
    I have friends who spent the summer in a park near Courtown for example and apart from a few very wet days,the bulk of the summer in their view has been great often weeks with no rain at all

I am not going to come on here and lie by saying everything has been wet and miserable all summer here when it hasn't
    All I can do is report the facts of the area as experienced and that means genuinely no complaints
    This is the 4th summer in a row with similar conditions,though some had hotter spells
    I'd have had plenty complaints in 2012

The last rain I had was Wednesday with a very brief shower.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note : Warning

Post Removed

Abusive comments will result in action being taken.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

After a very hot and mostly cloudy day of 28c (real feel of 34c) the evening has cooled down and some big rain drops with flashing in the distance, an unsettled and cooler few days here than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    After a very hot and mostly cloudy day of 28c (real feel of 34c) the evening has cooled down and some big rain drops with flashing in the distance, an unsettled and cooler few days here than usual.

Of course! The doom and gloom follows you everywhere :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Forecast for Malaga tomorrow is 25C with thunderstorms, I certainly wouldn't turn it down!

In Galway today where it was a pleasantly warm day with a few sunny spells, first dry day I've experienced in what seems like quite a while

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

I got the lawn mowed yesterday, a grand day here in Longford.
    Damp misty start here today though, just not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Joy.
    Didn't rain yesterday.

Gorgeous day so far with a warm breeze and sun
    Feels like summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

16 degrees. Overcast and drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Gorgeous day so far with a warm breeze and sun
    Feels like summer

August has been so horrific that it had felt like autumn a lot of the time

Hopefully it will clear up with you Old Rio
    A few hours ago it was cloudy here
    Now it's gorgeous and warm
    No idea on temp as I'm outside

Here's the view looking at the east sky and then the west sky near Arklow

National Summer mean temp up to yesterday, with previous 10 years temps for same time period thrown in for comparison:

temp.png

All very average.

Data C/O Met Éireann

New Moon

Is there a similar chart for average daytime highs?
    Most of us aren't out at night

• Advertisement

Is there a similar chart for average daytime highs?
    Most of us aren't out at night

I think the chart achieves what it needs to in terms of comparison. Measuring the overall temperature is generally more effective than just the max, mainly for soil temperatures. Just because you had a disagreement with Oneric, doesn't mean you should just dismiss what is Met Eireann data.

Although saying that, I would also be interested in seeing a comparison chart showing the max daytime temperatures for a summer going back 10 years. It would probably show this summer's lack of high temperatures.

Advertisement