Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

So after a showery Weds and Thurs and dry Fri the GFS is saying that the remnants of the post tropical storm 10 will push in over Ireland Sat evening / Sun morning.

Early days yet on how much rain, at present showing heaviest rain on Atlantic coastal counties 10-25mm, windy but nothing excessive at this stage. The models are not in agreement so will have to wait and see. Will the ridge hold ?

tempresult_zyv8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

So after a showery Weds and Thurs and dry Fri the GFS is saying that the remnants of the post tropical storm 10 will push in over Ireland Sat evening / Sun morning.

Early days yet on how much rain, at present showing heaviest rain on Atlantic coastal counties 10-25mm, windy but nothing excessive at this stage. The models are not in agreement so will have to wait and see. Will the ridge hold ?

I'm fairly amateur in my understanding of the models, but I noted that this '10' is currently barely formed somewhere around the south east USA coast, and the models have it crossing the Atlantic to us, but it also interacts with another low pressure system that's currently east of Newfoundland.

How confident are models about being able to predict the interaction of systems like that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

How confident are models about being able to predict the interaction of systems like that?

Very amateur myself but from my understanding Ex Gert was a good example where the models were quite good showing the general track well out , this track changed near the time moving closer to Ireland and slowed down and eventually stuck around for a few days untill it slowly moved away. The models got ex Gert fairly right to a point but it threw other earlier predictions for W Europe out the window as the computers struggled to input the effects of such a large system . Even though it was absorbed in another area of LP it still contained a lot of humid airmass which can be unpredictable in how much rainfall they can produce. For a couple of days before Ex Gert arrived the models went into disarray throwing out differing predictions for the overall picture untill they eventually got a handle on it.

What I think may or may not happen with this situation is that the ridge at the weekend over the UK could stall the fronts along the coastal counties and even though the fronts look to be occlouded at that stage they could still drop a fair bit of rain. Nothing like the recent Donegal scenario though. Will know more after a few more runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I see met eireann giving widespread showers for tomorrow but m.t. saying only isolated showers,what is the consensus in here,I'm hoping m.t. is right

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

Thoughts of the Summer 2017!!!

Not the worst summer on record, however appeared downhill from around the 21st of June. No prolonged high pressure at all during the summer. I suppose that this was inevitable as we appeared to have continuous high pressure during spring so nature in effect was balancing itself out.

August was dire. We appear to get good August one in ten summers. I do believe that August is more of an autumunal month at this stage. Again, the closer to the east and south east, the dryer and better the weather would appear. I was in Portugal for some of August, and it amazing that August is considered full summer with maximum temputures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Only 0.2 mm of rainfall since midnight, and that was recorded around 1am.

No real rain today here in West Clare, few spits but nothing that would have gotten anything wet. Max temp of 15.9c.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Feeling like a late Autumn's evening out there but I'm loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

22mm of rain in Castlebar between midnight and lunchtime, but it turned into a nice day after that, wettest August though in 9 years so far.

I see met eireann giving widespread showers for tomorrow but m.t. saying only isolated showers,what is the consensus in here,I'm hoping m.t. is right

Looking through a few models and it would appear there will be less showers than today.

tempresult_xtf0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Looking through a few models and it would appear there will be less showers than today.

tempresult_xtf0.gif

Good stuff,thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Xenji wrote: »
    22mm of rain in Castlebar between midnight and lunchtime, but it turned into a nice day after that, wettest August though in 9 years so far.

Wow we got very lucky today
    Great drying
    Got a lot of the lawn cut thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Was another mixed bag summer. I thought it was quite warm here in south Leinster at any rate, I'd say temps must have been average or a little above.
    Had some really quite nice weather but it never really got going for long apart from some nice periods during June and July. August was rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Not as bad as 2007-12 but not as good as 2013-16. Overall got worse as summer wore on but didn't feel as bad as it could have been as almost every weekend was nice in north county Dublin. Can only rem one that wasn't good. So overall a mixed bag in the east but far from bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

A bright sunny morning here, some fog banks in the distance.
    Overall the summer here was just average, some good weather when needed earlier on in June and up to mid July, so fodder and turf gotten easily enough. But from mid July on very few totally dry days and seldom two in a row.
    Anyway looking forward to the autumn, it is often the driest season round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Crisp and Misty morning in Leitrim. Went for a run at about 7 am. The mist over the lakes with the sun just rising was beautiful. Cold and a definite autumnal feel.
    But I will take this weather all day long after the rain we have endured.

Fire lit last night and the night before. August 2017? Good bye and good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

Just up the road from you Rio, agree.
    Just looking down on a local lake this morning earlier too, fog moving down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Goodbye August and Summer 2017, you dreadful piece of sh!t.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

finally proper Spanish weather, my first 6 days were mixed with unseasonable low temperatures, cloud and threat of rain never far away. Today solid gin blue skies, not a cloud in the sky and 29C, the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Gonzo wrote: »
    finally proper Spanish weather, my first 6 days were mixed with unseasonable low temperatures, cloud and threat of rain never far away. Today solid gin blue skies, not a cloud in the sky and 29C, the way it should be.

In Dunsaughlin?!?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

No complaints

• Advertisement

Beautiful afternoon and evening in East Galway
    As nice as any day since June
    Great drying yday so I got the jungle cut at last
    NO COMPLAINTS
    And I mean that !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Yeah I had amazing thunderstorms in Valencia. Cloudyish and sunny today but back to scorchio for the rest of week. No quejo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lovely day in Castlebar to end the summer, we have had around 490mm of rain this summer which is our highest since 2009 and our mean temperatures were down month on month from last year, but still inline with a average summer.

Very high and consistent humidity has a been the main feature of this summer, it has been a long time since my plants have been hit by so many different blights which have occurred continuously and are still occurring up to this week, other plants have bloomed weeks later than usual and for shorter spells.

We had our summer in April and May with our driest spell for those two months in 7 years, while also having our warmest spell for those two months in nearly 15 years.

The system furthest to left near Nova Scotia on the Sat Pic is Post tropical cyclone 10 from earlier today. The chart below show's it absorbed and it's foretasted position off the W coast Sat afternoon . Will be interesting to see how much rain it produces Sat into Sun. From what I can see from the ARPEGE Accumulation Prediction chart below the W , SW and S coasts might get the most rainfall, somewhere around 30 -50mm , possible rainfall warnings to come. The models are getting to grips with this system which can be very difficult to predict right up to the actual event. Will need to keep an eye on this, might be a lot of rainwater coming off mountains. Windy on the coasts . Looking forward to the shot of warm humid air.

PQVHxwS.jpg?1

gTSOMLJ.gif?1

HZp3rf1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Monthly total of 77.8mm here in West Clare, overall we seemed to avoid most of the worst of the rain for the month.

Nearest station to me is athenry
    August total 103 (and for a 2 day period when it lashed for me it recorded very little)
    July 136 mm
    June 120 mm

I don't think I need to say anymore

Goodbye "summer 2017" you will not be missed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I wasn't in the country for most of it but a relatively dry Summer at my station in Waterford City, June was around the Average with 106.6mm recorded but July and August below average with 56.1mm and 43.3mm recorded respectively. From talking to family and friends not too many complaints about Summer 2017. General consensus is good without being spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Really poor summer in Donegal as is common knowledge by now, plenty of rain, week after week of low uniform stratus and no heat whatsoever, certainly not one to remember.

Looks like I'll be spending the rest of the year on the east coast, hopefully I don't bring the gloom and rain with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I operate between North Mayo and the East coast - obviously the weather will be always different in terms of warmth/settled conditions during summer, but this year I found to be one of the greatest contrasts since the start of June with very poor conditions on the West coast nearly all summer in stark contrast to a pretty solid June/July in the East. August went downhill on both fronts but then August is more of an autumn month in recent times anyways so that doesn't bother me as much. Still think we'll get a decent weeks Indian summer within the next 6 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Final stats for Summer 2017, for Dublin 16 (with stats for Summer 2016 in red).

Mean Temps:
    June: 15.3c (15.3c)
    July: 16.9c (17.2c)
    August: 15.9c (16.5c)
    Overall Mean: 16.0c (16.3c)

Max Temp: 28.3c (28.1c)
    Min. Temp: 8.0c (8.8c)

Rain:
    June: 75.4mm (95.2mm)
    July: 43.4mm (34.8mm)
    August: 48.8mm (62.0mm)
    Total: 167.5mm (192.0mm)

Rain Days:
    June: 19 (19)
    July: 17 (20)
    August: 18 (18)
    Total: 54 (57)

Overall, a pretty good summer, in my opinion (and for my location). Another barometer, for me, is I am a fair weather sailor....I don't bother going sailing when it's wet or (very) windy....there was not one weekend this summer that I could not go sailing.

Advertisement