Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical/GP card application

Options
  • 24-02-2017 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I recently moved to Ireland and am rather unfamiliar with the way things work here, so I'm hoping that someone can help me by clarifying some things for me.

I have filled out an application form for a medical card (which I am not eligible for, but I should be eligible for a GP card). On the last page of the form, it says I should include certain pieces of "evidence" with my application. I would expect (since none of the special circumstances apply to me) that it would suffice to include a payslip and a copy of the "tenancy details" page of the rentbook (the one where my contact details, the contact details of the landlord and the costs are filled out)? Can anyone confirm this?

It also says that I need to go to my GP of choice with the form and have him/her sign it. Does anyone happen to have any recommendations for a GP in Letterkenny? And do I need to call to make an appointment to have the GP sign the documents, or can I just walk in and will it be arranged at a front desk (if there is one)?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions 😅 But any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Almost all doctors will accept medical/GP cards. Usually It's just a case of dropping the form into the receptionist at the GP and they will arrange for the doctor to sign it, you might have to wait a few days. However if you have never attended the doctor before you might be required to see the doctor before they will sign the form and you may have to pay for this visit. Make sure you tell the receptionist if you have never attended the doctor.

In relation to the documents you need to submit with the form its better to submit everything they ask for but the documents you mention should be fine. They will look for bank statements if you have any savings. If you are a foreign national from another EU country they may look for evidence that you paid tax in that country but I'm not sure. Best to give them a ring and ask. If you are missing any documents when you submit your form they will put your application on hold and send you a letter informing you of this and telling you what you need to submit for the application to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RobinJ1995

Thanks, it took several weeks before I got a response but my application got approved.

Advertisement