Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle license for 125cc bike

• 24-02-2017 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am not to sure on this one was looking on citizens information website and I am baffled.

I currently do not hold a drivers license at all. I want to get a 125cc bike but not to sure what I need to do or how to go about it, any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if you're under 24 you need the A2 license and to do the IBT

if you're 24 or older you get the A license and do the IBT

if you're 23 at the moment just wait until you're 24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am not to sure on this one was looking on citizens information website and I am baffled. I currently do not hold a drivers license at all. I want to get a 125cc bike but not to sure what I need to do or how to go about it, any help would be very much appreciated.

Take a look at the following

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/no-name-yet/

Looks like you will need an A1 learner permit.
    Then do IBT training, then the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭stevek93

if you're under 24 you need the A2 license and to do the IBT

if you're 24 or older you get the A license and do the IBT

if you're 23 at the moment just wait until you're 24

Im 24 very soon. How do I go about getting the A license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

stevek93 wrote: »
    Im 24 very soon. How do I go about getting the A license?

you will make an appointment at the NDLS centre or show up and queue, fill out the form https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/DrivingLicence/D401_Full_Licence_app_form.pdf

they have them at the centre so no need to print that.

guidelines for what you need to bring/have
    https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/DrivingLicence/Full%20Licence%20Application%20Guidance%20Notes.pdf

eye test, driver theory test (A category) would be things you need to bring with you to the NDLS centre

then you just apply for the A permit, do your IBT and you are allowed to then ride a bike on the road (but not motorways, or take pillion passengers) until after 6 months from the date you got your permit you can book your full test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

you will make an appointment at the NDLS centre or show up and queue, fill out the form

they have them at the centre so no need to print that.

guidelines for what you need to bring/have

eye test, driver theory test (A category) would be things you need to bring with you to the NDLS centre

then you just apply for the A permit, do your IBT and you are allowed to then ride a bike on the road (but not motorways, or take pillion passengers) until after 6 months from the date you got your permit you can book your full test

To correct the above, it's the D201 application form for a learner permit.

AM theory test cert (this covers all motorcycles, not just the AM, scooter category as the name may lead you to believe). Then visit the NDLS visit with D201, proof of address (this can be your theory test cert), proof of PPSN, photographic ID, [proof of residency if applicable] and €35 fee.

You then complete IBT for cat A, apply for the practical test in cat A and take the test. Once completed, you return to the NDLS with a D401, your learner permit, your cert of competency and your €55 fee.

That'll get you sorted. Enjoy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭stevek93

Very much appreciate the help lads. I will get ball rolling so can't wait to get on the road will help a lot with the type of job I work at.

Advertisement